“Nice spa, a bit expensive”

Mandara Spa at the Wailea Marriott
Ranked #7 of 12 Spas & Wellness in Wailea
Reviewed January 16, 2014

My girlfriend and I went for a couples massage and hydrotherapy. The lobby was nice and so wasthe bathroom and relaxation room. I could have sat in sauna and relaxation room all day.

The massage was ok, nothing special. The hydrotherapy was basically a bath, kind of romantic I guess.

I didn't care that they added a 20% tip for me, I always thought tips were discretionary. Overall it cost $386 for a massage for 50 minutes and hydrotherapy for 25.

1  Thank griffin86

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Recently purchased 2 Groupons for The Mandara Spa at the Wailea Marriott. $99each for $200 worth of services (not including tax and 20% gratuity). After reading the Trip Advisor reviews I was a little skeptical...decided to give it a shot anyway. A more apt description would not include the word 'Spa'. There are ~12 treatment rooms and a hair/nail salon, and separate areas for men & women that include locker and change rooms, bathroom facilities, steam rooms and a sitting room called a 'relaxation' room which is basically a waiting area with chairs and waterfall walls with bamboo and lights. There are no ocean/garden/Maui views, the only window was in the treatment room (when you're lying down, you can see palm trees and sky). Prior to and following treatments, unless you enjoy steam rooms, there is no reason to hang around unless you want to read older magazines, eat an apple or an orange and drink some tea (bring your own sugar). Having said that, my husband was extremely pleased with the deep-tissue massage given by Colleen, would highly recommend it and would ask for her by name next time even without a Groupon! (Note- he is VERRRY particular about massages and prefers therapeutic deep-tissue over 'relaxation': "no girly lavender oils"!)
My selection of the Pahoehoe mud wrap (exfoliation, mud, scalp/neck massage, shower, coconut lotion) was splendid although I would have preferred not to walk to the shower to scrub off the mud - a Vichy shower would be most helpful, and I was surprised that the back and stomach areas didn't get the mud. Next time I will book a service with Erika that includes a massage as I enjoyed her technique during the exfoliation and (too-short!) scalp/neck massage! I also had a shellac manicure that was unremarkable; although the technician was meticulous, 20hrs later the tips started showing wear. If you are looking for a real 'spa' experience or a place with views of Maui to feed your soul, this may not be the place....there are better views from the poolside bar/grill (The Pele Lava Flow drink is terrific). Erika & Colleen were worth the trip though and a great deal (for Maui) with the Groupon.

5  Thank drakemallard
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

Colleen did a great massage and front desk was great. Text message and calling to confirm. Much appreciated. Colleen told me about the acupuncture points she was pressing on .. I wanted to come back and get the Thai one from her but she's booked!

1  Thank NewEnglandLadyAwesom
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Wailea Marriott for 8 days this month and I decided to surprise her with a couples massage. Now I can count on one hand the number of (professional) massages I've had, so I'm by no means an expert. That being said, of the four or five that I've had, this was the worst one to date.

The facility itself is decent, and if you're staying at the Marriott as we were, certainly convenient. Now keep in mind that I made the massage appointment from the mainland a few weeks before our vaca. I had my heart set on a couples ocean-front massage, and as I was calling around the island (the Ritz, Hyatt, Sheraton, Westin, etc.), I wasn't able to find a single spa that offered ocean front other than the Marriott. I really wanted to combine an oceanfront cabana massage with a hot rock treatment, but Mandara wouldn't/couldn't do it. Bummer.

So we checked in, were each led to same sex locker rooms to clean up and relax prior to getting called. The locker room was nice enough. I showered and relaxed in their relaxation room with a cup of hot herbal tea. The girl came and got me and the four of us (my gfriend, the two masseuses and I) walked down to the cabana making small chit-chat.

First of all, the cabana isn't on the beach. In fact, it's not even close. Yes, you can hear the waves, but that's about it. It's also adjacent to one of the hotel buildings and several major walkways. So much for any privacy. It was just a standard cabana with two massage tables. The girls gave us our robes, folded down the sheets, and exited the cabana while we disrobed. They came back in and went to work. The actual physical portion of the massage was decent--again, the worst I've had, but then again, even a crappy 70-min massage is better than nothing.

I think we got around 65 mins worth of muscle work and they were done. They left the cabana while we through our robes back on and then one of them escorted us back to the locker rooms while the other one stayed behind and tidied up.

When we return to Maui again, I'll find another spa on the island, even though Mandara was very highly rated, I'm not going back there again.

1  Thank Harrison S
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I booked here for a haircut a few days later - the receptionist was arrogant, had a bad attitude and wouldn't make eye contact. She was so offputting I nearly cancelled my appointment. The same receptionist was there when I arrived for my haircut and nothing had changed. The price list was printed at $75 for a cut and blow dry. Without making eye contact and seeming to be totally disinterested in me she asked if I wanted to bother with the blow dry. The hair stylist, Crystal, was outstanding - one of my best cuts ever - I mentioned the rude reception and she invited me to fill out a card - which I did. When I returned to the rude woman (Camille?) at reception and told her the tip I would like to add, the total was much higher than I expected. When I questioned her she told me they add a 20% gratuity automatically - their price list didn't state that clearly - so a $75 haircut is really $90 because you have no choice about the 20 % - the service quality is irrelevant in this system. I told her to take my extra tip off since I was already paying 20% . Too bad some of this went to this rude and disinterested young woman. I will seek out Crystal again but hopefully she won't be at the same place with its rude receptionist and dishonest pricing system. Couldn't get out of there fast enough and the pricing problem occurred after I had filled out the comment card. I hope management reads this!

4  Thank kaleidoscope2