“Terrible reception and policies but great haircut”

Mandara Spa at the Wailea Marriott
Ranked #6 of 12 Spas & Wellness in Wailea
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I booked here for a haircut a few days later - the receptionist was arrogant, had a bad attitude and wouldn't make eye contact. She was so offputting I nearly cancelled my appointment. The same receptionist was there when I arrived for my haircut and nothing had changed. The price list was printed at $75 for a cut and blow dry. Without making eye contact and seeming to be totally disinterested in me she asked if I wanted to bother with the blow dry. The hair stylist, Crystal, was outstanding - one of my best cuts ever - I mentioned the rude reception and she invited me to fill out a card - which I did. When I returned to the rude woman (Camille?) at reception and told her the tip I would like to add, the total was much higher than I expected. When I questioned her she told me they add a 20% gratuity automatically - their price list didn't state that clearly - so a $75 haircut is really $90 because you have no choice about the 20 % - the service quality is irrelevant in this system. I told her to take my extra tip off since I was already paying 20% . Too bad some of this went to this rude and disinterested young woman. I will seek out Crystal again but hopefully she won't be at the same place with its rude receptionist and dishonest pricing system. Couldn't get out of there fast enough and the pricing problem occurred after I had filled out the comment card. I hope management reads this!

4  Thank kaleidoscope2

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Had a very nice massage here. Calm, serene. Wasn't too crowded. Gave us an appointment the same day.

Only drawback is that they only have a steam room. No sauna or whirlpools. The steam room is pretty large though and there is a relaxation room where you can rest.

2  Thank Zoe R
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The spa was super nice. Tranquel and even fun just to get a day pass and enjoy the shower facilities etc.

2  Thank Greenstarfish2
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I had a great deep tissue massage but thought I would be able to relax prior to the massage. There is no whirlpool or jacuzzi spa. The receptionist told me to wait in the relaxation room. The plastic cover chairs felt old and dirty to me and as I was relaxing a loud rush of water jolted me out of my "relaxed" state. It was so loud that I actually wanted to cancel right then and there but my back really needed a massage. Luckily, my deep tissue massage was great. I think I would try other resorts spas but since I was staying at the Marriott it was convenient.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

I get massages anytime I go away and this wasn't the best, but it also wasn't the worst. It was an okay massage. The room itself was way too bright, which I don't like when trying to relax. The showers felt a little skeevy and the 'releaxation' room just had running water. The overall experience was nice, but I would say maybe check out a different Spa if you can.

1  Thank Jessica V