“Very special meal”
Review of Ko Restaurant

Ko Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Ko Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 51 Restaurants in Wailea
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Kaukahi Street
Transit: The nearest Bus stop is located at the Shops of Wailea Maui.
Description: Executive Chef Tylun Pang leads the culinary masterpiece of Kō, the only fine dining restaurant on Maui to offer cuisine inspired by Maui’s sugarcane plantation era. Located at The Fairmont Kea Lani in Wailea, Kō features island family recipes and includes farm-fresh Hawaiian, Chinese, Filipino, Portuguese, Korean, and Japanese menu items with a contemporary twist.
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Enjoyed a lovely dinner with our family of four, especially searing the ahi on the hot rock, and the noodle dish. Server from Cleveland was very friendly and helpful, offering to halve an entry for my 12 year old daughter.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,116)

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I recently took my new bride to Ko for our wedding dinner. The night could not have been better, thanks to the lovely staff at Ko. Everything about the experience was amazing!! The service was the best I've ever encountered. The food was incredible. I was really surprised when we arrived as I am a vegetarian and had looked at the menu online and found items I could eat. I am not sure if I missed it online, but they had additional items for people who are vegan, people with allergies, etc. We had an appetizer, our main courses and dessert, plus a sample of cocktails. All were 5 star. Our ceremony was a typical beautiful Maui wedding, but Ko made the day something to remember.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We were looking forward to eating here after reading all the reviews and reading about the several million dollar renovations. It was also a done deal when the front desk offered us free desserts for celebrating our anniversary!

We stuck with ordering all seafood dishes as we've had amazing luck with all our meals; the catch of the day can be cooked several different ways. The appetizer and entrees were tasty and portion sizes were good. We were given an eggplant amuse bouche which was yummy as well. After saving room for dessert, we were disappointed with this part of our meal. The ginger cheesecake is a better choice than the pineapple turnover buttermilk cake. We also ordered the French press coffee to share and the menu clearly states it serves 3 cups, however, it only filled 1.5 cups. My spouse filled up my cup first and by the time he was able to fill his, we noticed it did not quite measure up to what the menu had stated. If it was meant to fill 3 espresso cups then we should have been given espresso cups instead of the larger coffee cups.

Now the reason why I rated Ko's 3 stars is because of the service. Our server was friendly but we found him "too friendly" for our liking; you need to know when to cut your losses and just agree with the patrons.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We opted for the early seating special; 3 courses for under $50. The food was beautifully presented and tasted fantastic but as we finished one plate another arrived and the staff were there every 5 minutes asking if it all tasted OK. Kept being told there was no rush but we were in and out and ushered back to our room in less than 45 minutes overly full from being rushed through our dinner. It was ridiculous, could have just ordered a main course each and spent the evening savouring it. A little disappointed as wanted our last evening to be a special occasion.

2  Thank fiftynfine
TrudyPeterson, Guest Relations Manager at Ko Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

We are so sorry to learn that you felt rushed during your recent dinner at Kō. Especially on your last evening, you should have had the opportunity to enjoy your dinner at a relaxed and leisurely pace. Please be assured that your comments have been passed on to the Kō Manager and that our staff will be reminded of how important the pace of a dining experience is. We hope you will return and give us another opportunity to provide the experience you deserve. Best wishes and thank you for your review.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

We read the reviews on TA about the food and the recent renovation and were really looking forward to a nice evening there. Our first impression was that the setting. With essentially no ocean view and next to open areas full of squealing children at play, it was much less than we hoped for. The appetizers were excellent but the mains were not great. The vegetables were significantly over cooked and the rice was mush. My main was supposed to be medium to well done lamb chops and they arrived rare at best. The server took them back to the kitchen and I waited for their return well my wife ate her meal on her own. When they returned my order they had simply reconstructed the chop I cut by putting it back together with skewers/toothpicks and put it back on the same plate. It was well done but fairly crispy on the outside. Not really what you would expect for $48. The staff did try to recover by topping up my wine glass and "comping" our shared dessert, which was very good as well, but the meal was ruined for us by then and we won't be back.