“Great view, I enjoyed the bar”
Review of Mala - CLOSED

Mala
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Kihei Islander bus line stops in front of the Shops at Wailea, just in front of the Marriott. Mala Restaurant is located on the ocean front of the Marriott, Wailea. Just walk through the main lobby and you'll see our lounge, with the restaurant ramp to your left.
Description: Chef Mark Ellman of Avalon fame and Chef/Owner of Maui Tacos, who also owns the orginal Mala Ocean Tavern in Lahaina, has joined forces with his long time partner Shep Gordon and opened a Southside outpost of Mala. Aptly called Mala Wailea at the Wailea Beach Marriott Resort and Spa Overlooking the Pacific Ocean and the Island of Lanai. Our delightful restaurant offers stunning sunset vistas over the Pacific – every seat has an ocean view. Mark is pleased to continue the Mala tradition of making great food organic, healthy, fresh, and delicious. With an authentic menu of Mediterranean and Pacific Rim cuisine, our beautifully crafted dishes will please the palates of your most revered guests.
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I went there for the view. The property is located in a beautiful spot. The bar is not too big but has a cute design overlooking the view. It was beautiful to see the scenery change as the sun was setting. Very romantic.
They had an interesting drinks menu and I ordered appetizers which were great. The menu is definitely on the expensive side but I didn't expect anything cheap from the establishment. its a beautiful property. Perfect space for a romantic dinner or even some alone time to get away from the day to day madness.

1  Thank VBostonian

Reviewed January 28, 2013

We came here for Easter Brunch with friends a year or so ago. We really did not know anything about them, and were absolutely STUNNED by the location and views. We were given lots of attention by the hostess and servers, the meal was a buffet and it was fresh, abundant and delicious!

The atmosphere was so colorful and enjoyable. All the food was delicious. We had a memorable, wonderful, and celebretory time with local friends!

What a great find, less than a mile away from our doorstep! Don't forget to try the guacamole!!!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I enjoyed being there so much, the view was amazing, the breeze was wonderful and fresh, the food was awesome! So much to choose from, I think there was literally everything I could possibly want... The service was quick, courteous and outgoing. Especially a young lady named Teresa... We asked for her, and so should you.. Geat sense of humor and a real people person!
We got an extra special surprise to hear great voices of famous owners on New years eve there... Loved the strawberry lemon drop martini!!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

This restaurant is located in the Wailea Beach Marriot Resort. We flew in on a Friday and decided to have a nice dinner to start our vacation off right. The menu posted outside the restaurant gives an indication of how expensive this place is. We thought, what the heck, let’s live a little. We were seated in the open air section outdoors. Relatively nice décor. Far enough away from the ocean that you couldn’t see much especially at night. It was a warm evening although a bit too cool to be out without a jacket or sweater. Our server came by to describe the specials. She fumbled over the specials, the ingredients, and pricing. She was somewhat unprofessional which at the prices they were charging, was not expected. She also had the annoying habit of saying “My chef has prepared…” and “My chef is …” as if this was her restaurant. I understand that this is Hawaii. I get that things are more expensive here. $13 for a cocktail? What? Are you kidding? My wife and I ordered one drink each, they were just okay. I would have expected a very liberal dose of alcohol at that price, but no, barely perceptible. We ordered the Coconut shrimp appetizer for $18. It was tasty, but only came with 4 shrimp! (An equally tasty treat of Coconut Shrimp ordered at Cheeseburger Paradise was $14 for 6 shrimp.) We then followed up with our entrée order. They were all so overpriced and if one wanted to avoid mushrooms the entrée options were limited. We chose the fish of the day two person dish. It arrived as a collection of mixed vegetables and some battered fish that we shared. Not bad… not great. I had hoped I could come away saying that we just spent $133 on a single dinner, but what a fantastic meal… alas, all I can say is “We just spent $133 on a single dinner, what a rip-off”. I can’t imagine that they get any repeat customers at all. Just the newbies flying in to the hotel who are looking for a really nice meal. Keep looking!

Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

Went for happy hour to watch the Sunset. View was incredible one of the best spots on Maui.
Happy Hour was a rip off. Drinks were reasonable, but I don't expect half price appetizers, to be half a portion!
Tiger Shrimp cocktail was 2 shrimp. Coconut Shrimp was 2 pieces, really?
If they label it as a bargain, I expect at least the illusion of getting value.