“Average food in a place that should be better”

The Restaurant at Hotel Wailea
Reserve with OpenTable
The Restaurant at Hotel Wailea is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 51 Restaurants in Wailea
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Kalai Waa
Description: Hawaii's first and only Relais & Chateaux restaurant, The Restaurant at Hotel Wailea (formerly known as Capische?) offers a European-inspired elegance infused with creative island-to-table cuisine. Menus are created around what is readily available from Maui’s own farms and fisherman ensuring that each dish is prepared using only the finest local, seasonal and artisanal products; including those grown in the restaurant’s own garden and farming operation. From its perch on the hillside above South Maui's Wailea resort area, the restaurant offers sweeping panoramic ocean views from the upper lanai and intimate dining under the stars in the garden.
Boston, MA
“Average food in a place that should be better”
Reviewed November 8, 2009

Capsiche is a nice restaurant. The view is lovely, the ambiance elegant and romantic. We had a great table in the corner, and the waitstaff took good care of us. Though I did find their question "how are the flavors?" a bit pretentious sounding (2 different servers asked us this about 4 times, it seems to be a scripted part of the service).

But the food just doesn't live up to the price or the atmosphere. Some of it was very good...the quail saltimbocca with plenty of brown butter and pinenuts was delicioous. But their house specialty, the cioppino was bland, and made entirely with frozen seafood. The lobster tail in there was quite mushy, the fish seemed a bit too "fishy" tasting. It wasn't terrible, it just wasn't good enough to justify the price tag.

7 Thank Chinacat_Boston

Solana Beach, California
“One of the best dining experiences...ever!”
Reviewed October 7, 2009

My wife and I think this restaurant has it all... Fresh delicious food, beautifully presented while gazing at the sun falling into the sea. The owner is the chef and the food is exceptional. One of my favorite joys about coming to hawaii is the fantastic fresh fish. The chef at Capische does not hide the flavors but enhances them with fresh herbs. My wife had Ono and it was succulent and beautifully prepared. I had the ciopinno and it was so gorgeous to look at that we took a picture of it! Marvelous!
The rolls were warm and delicious and the mushroom risotto appetizer was so good that we saved some for the main course.
The wait staff was very attentive and not intrusive, friendly, courteous and helpful with recommendations. Everyone in the restaurant seemed to be having a great time. We would have eaten there the next night if we were staying in Maui...We have already recommended Capische to friends and family.

Naples, Florida
“Well it's OK, Capische?”
Reviewed September 28, 2009

It is not that the restaurant is terrible, it just isn't particularly good. Now perhaps I am spoiled because we have so many wonderful Northern Italian restaurants at home, but Capische failed to deliver anything interesting, innovative or inspiring. The food is fine, you will not need to send it back and you won't get sick. It just won't be a great meal.

The concierge at our hotel recommended the restaurant and I wonder if it isn't getting a lot of play because of a good commission set up. The service was fine and the restaurant is attractive enough but the servers have a silly habit of asking how you are 'enjoying the flavors' every 14 minutes. Ugh.

If you go, the mushroom risotto is good as was the creme brulee. Note that the specialties will take you back to the late 80's!~

8 Thank worcesterkate
California
“No Capische :(”
Reviewed September 27, 2009

My husband and I decided to try this restaurant for our wedding anniversary. Since we were staying in the hotel on the property, Hotel Wailea (formerly Diamond Resort), we were told it's a great deal by the hotel staff as long as we had our special 20% discount card. Let me tell you, it is No Deal! After we had eaten our $80 + meal, I had the special discount card ready. As I waited for the bill, I re-read the 'discount.' In small print at the bottom of the card it says "18% gratuity added before discount." WOW! WHAT A DEAL! 2%?! Had we known this we obviously would have rethought our choice.
Not to mention that the food was average at best. My steak was overcooked and crusty, crispy, and black. Sound good to you? How about paying $49.00 for that. HA What a joke!
I can tell you this anniversary dinner will not be forgotten. We actually found it funny and laughed all the way back to our room.
My advice is to save your money, go to Outback Steak House or Ruth's Chris, they probably know how to cook steak the right way.

9 Thank iamange
VT05345
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful place but the hostess must go!”
Reviewed August 27, 2009

After a less than warm aloha welcome from the hostess we waited 40 minutes past our reservation to be seated. With no apology or explanation the three of us, my husband, 15 yr old daughter and myself, were seated at a table that looked like it had just been set up. It was next to the bar and kitchen door in the path of a constant flow of traffic. It was also very bright and noisey. By now, it was after 9pm and there were other tables that were empty so I requested to be moved, which we were after about another 10-15 minutes, but the hostess was clearly not happy with our request. I thanked her for moving us and that the new table was much better, but she ignored me and walked away. It was an aggaravating way to begin the evening, we were tempted to leave, but the remainder of the evening was magical, the wait staff was very friendly and knowledgable, the food was delicious, and the atmosphere was amazing. We sat outside at the end of the lanai but there are beautiful tables for two down below surrounded by magnificant gardens. It's a very special place, unfortunately , for us it started out a bit rough.

1 Thank gilligreen