“Good, but not Great”

The Restaurant at Hotel Wailea
Reserve with OpenTable
The Restaurant at Hotel Wailea is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 51 Restaurants in Wailea
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Kalai Waa
Description: Hawaii's first and only Relais & Chateaux restaurant, The Restaurant at Hotel Wailea (formerly known as Capische?) offers a European-inspired elegance infused with creative island-to-table cuisine. Menus are created around what is readily available from Maui’s own farms and fisherman ensuring that each dish is prepared using only the finest local, seasonal and artisanal products; including those grown in the restaurant’s own garden and farming operation. From its perch on the hillside above South Maui's Wailea resort area, the restaurant offers sweeping panoramic ocean views from the upper lanai and intimate dining under the stars in the garden.
Reviewed December 19, 2008

After reading many reviews, I picked Capishe for our nice dinner out in Wailea. The setting was very romantic with views out the water from the lanai and only a few tables. We were eating right after a rainstorm so the garden was closed.

I have to say that I was underwhelmed by the experienced. The first thing that tipped us off was that our waitress knew absolutely nothing about the food she was serving other than the scrip of specials. For example, when I asked her what kind of olive oil they were serving she said "it's I-talian". To me this indicates that the place does not have a culture of making everyone knowledgeable and excited about the food.

I had the meat and potatoes, which was a filet that night. It was tender, but totally oversalted. My fiancee ordered the seafood cioppino, which was overwhelmed by its saffron broth. In fact, everything we ate seemed overseasoned and "overdone" - and this is coming from two people who enjoy rich food.

The food was tasty, but I felt like there was a heavy hand in the kitchen that wasn't letting the simplicity of good Italian food shine through. When you're paying premium prices for fine dining, I think it's fair to expect it to show in the food.

7  Thank Vancouver_B_C_Maple

Reviewed November 10, 2008

Haven't eaten at "il Teatro" but I have enjoyed many amazing meals at the "parent" restaurant. Il Teatro is apparently a branch off of the main upper floor, completely amazing and romantic "Capische". Go at sunset..if you miss sunset, you have a choice of dining on the "terrace" or even better, sit at the "bar" with either Jen or Will. The food is mostly amazing. Jen and/or Will are absolutely charming, know their "stuff" and will introduce you to the "choice" if not albeit interesting locals. Go with their food advice. They make the food and the local "foodies" worth the good food experience! I live in Napa Valley and get tired of the foodie concept. This place is worth at least one visit, either for the amazing sunset or the genuine hospitality of Jen and Will and maybe you'll meet Chef Brian. Or you can go to Spago, which is also cool.

1  Thank Mark W
Reviewed October 25, 2008

Where do I start.... I'm from NYC, the heart of good italian restaurants and food, and after dining at Capische, i was just speechless. The food and service were amazing, Clifford and Brett were just an oustanding team. Their service was very personalized, but not intrusive. They were very knowledgable about the menu and wines, and made our evening very special. I can not recommend this restaurant enough! Thanks Capische!!!!

1  Thank nycdiner
Reviewed October 25, 2008

Overall we didn't know what to expect with some of the mixed reviews on here. After our dinner, we were very happy that we chose to dine at IL Teatro at Capische. The wine was excellent to start. We then had the truffle risotto........it is just as good as everybody says it is. Seriously, its probably the best risotto I've had. My wife and I shared an order which also helped with the price a bit. My wife and I were both in the mood for pasta and it was cooked perfectly al dente. The sauces were very fresh tasting and delicious. Overall I would definitely tell you to try and meal here if you can, you won't be disappointed. Also, eat on the lanai if you can, the view is nice.

1  Thank eteyemd
Reviewed September 7, 2008

Capische is caput. New chef about 3 months ago (so another chef told us).

Beef carpaccio no longer has the highly-touted crunchy capers (just capers from a jar) and was amazingly disappointing. Quail was too salty (and we know saltimbocca), and the caesar dressing was overpowered with an extra dose of balsamic vinegar which left us puckered up - and not for smooching! At least it was expensive.

Service was good, but our waiter could have exhibited a bit of warmth to make us feel a little welcome for our mega-year anniversary dinner at sunset with family.

Take this one down a big notch on food quality and please it cannot be among the top restaurants on Maui or we'll starve our next visit. You can do so much better elsewhere, truly.

Capische called us the next day for our review and comments and we provided honest and constructive criticism.

12  Thank SJaneSeattle_WA