“Left much poorer and very hungry”

The Restaurant at Hotel Wailea
Reserve with OpenTable
The Restaurant at Hotel Wailea is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 51 Restaurants in Wailea
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Kalai Waa
Description: Hawaii's first and only Relais & Chateaux restaurant, The Restaurant at Hotel Wailea (formerly known as Capische?) offers a European-inspired elegance infused with creative island-to-table cuisine. Menus are created around what is readily available from Maui’s own farms and fisherman ensuring that each dish is prepared using only the finest local, seasonal and artisanal products; including those grown in the restaurant’s own garden and farming operation. From its perch on the hillside above South Maui's Wailea resort area, the restaurant offers sweeping panoramic ocean views from the upper lanai and intimate dining under the stars in the garden.
Reviewed April 21, 2014

While the setting is very beautiful and the service was good, the portions were absolutely miniscule. The risotto was way too salty and the tuna sashimi starter was totally unimaginative (apart from the pretty presentation) in terms of flavour ... then again, there wasn't really much of it to taste. Personally, I would not return here unless I was on a very strict diet.

2  Thank Gadget G
There are newer reviews for The Restaurant at Hotel Wailea

Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

We got there early for a pre dinner drink at the bar and to watch sunset. The restaurant is up the hill and the views up over the sea are fantastic. Great cocktails and bar service, and view. We were seated at our table 20mins later than our booked time and were pretty hungry. It was fairly busy and we had to wait 10mins for our water waiter, then even longer for our actual waiter who spent the longest time explaining every facet of the menu (by this time I could have eaten my hand), then we had to chase the wine, and finally the food which arrived after we'd managed to finish the best part of a bottle of wine slowly.. Food was fine - we had small cheese and salumi appetiser to share and then I had a decent truffle rissoto. Food was fine but didn't wow. So great venue, definitely go for sunset (best we saw), and cocktails. Maybe best to grab an appetizer at the bar before you're seated.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

One of the best meals that my wife and I have had, the staff was friendly and knowledgeable about our menu choices. This restaurant is highly recommended and a table on the lanai is perfect for a romantic evening.

Capische, Manager at The Restaurant at Hotel Wailea, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Aloha Julianne96, Thank you very much for your review and kind words. We appreciate your feedback and are very happy you enjoyed your experience with us! Please join us if you are in Wailea again!

Reviewed April 17, 2014

I tried to locate the name of the dessert online, but I can't find it. It was unreal - a chocolate, salted caramel thing. I took a picture of it. It's worth the 10 hour flight from NY just to have that dessert!

The rest of the meal was excellent too. I had a mushroom risotto. Drinks were great. The service was superb. The view is spectacular. This was one of my favorite dinners of our trip. I saw that some people mentioned small portions and that is true, but I prefer smaller portions.

We went for sunset, probably a little too early at this time of year. We got there when they opened, probably should have made the reservation for a little bit later. We left before the sun had fully set. However, the waiter told us that in the winter they would have filled up earlier.

Mahalo bcaha for your great review! We are so happy you enjoyed your dessert and mushroom risotto. We are sorry you didn't get to see a true sunset - they are spectacular here! If you are ever in Wailea again, please come in and enjoy another great experience.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Restaurants in resorts could get away with anything since most of their guests were transient tourists. Not any more when we can get ideas from tripadvisor and other sites.
Our meal was perfect: kale salad, quail, risotto, seared tuna. The service very attentive to our needs, the view spectacular, the speaker music pleasant. Not too rushed, not slow just at our pace. The mix of traditional and new flavours surprising and welcome.
Yes, we are tourists and we liked so much we want to come back.

Aloha Spiral0112358! Mahalo for your very kind words! We are so happy you enjoyed your experience with us. We hope you are able to come again soon!