“What a great surprise.”

The Restaurant at Hotel Wailea
Reserve with OpenTable
The Restaurant at Hotel Wailea is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 51 Restaurants in Wailea
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Kalai Waa
Description: Hawaii's first and only Relais & Chateaux restaurant, The Restaurant at Hotel Wailea offers a European-inspired elegance infused with creative island-to-table cuisine. Menus are created around what is readily available from Maui’s own farms and fisherman ensuring that each dish is prepared using only the finest local, seasonal and artisanal products; including those grown in the restaurant’s own garden and farming operation. From its perch on the hillside above South Maui's Wailea resort area, the restaurant offers sweeping panoramic ocean views from the upper lanai and intimate dining under the stars in the garden.
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I make it a habit of booking diner reservations far in advance when I book a vacation, or honeymoon in this case. Our driver that drove us from the airport to the hotel recommended Capische and told me to cancel a reservation to go to this place (I wish I cancelled Nick's Fishmarket).

I am so glad I took his advice . This place is great. We had a garden view table high in the trees. From the cucumber martinis to the sushi quality ahi tuna, to the yummy dessert, this place was great. Service was also great. I highly recommend Capische.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

My wife and I are big critics when it comes to dining, especially Italian food. We operate restaurants, spent time in Italy, and love to cook Italian. We were recommended by many people at the Four Seasons to dine at Capische for our 5-Year Anniversary. We were hesitant because the experience at Ferraro’s had been so amazing. However, we came to find out that we made the right decision.

First, the attire appeared to be resort casual. There is a nice bar which you can order drinks and even dine at, however we went straight to our table. You want to make sure you reserve a seat on the top balcony, next to the railing, which are the best views. Also, the best tables are to the far right (I believe north-side). The resort grounds are also well kept and beautiful to look at.

The wine section was extensive, with some great Bordeaux selections. Our night started off with a bottle of Chateau Haut Brion and half bottle of Champagne. The concern when purchasing a nice bottle of wine from a restaurant, is not knowing how it was kept. After opening and drinking the Bordeaux it was obvious that it was well kept. It was also nice to see half bottle options for those who don’t want a full bottle or those like my wife and I who like one and a half bottles.

From that point forward the experience began. The server was impeccable, following every service standard, yet personalizing the experience. We explored the menu with seven courses. The three course tasting menu can be a great option, but add up what you want so you ensure you are getting your moneys worth. We started off with the Caesar Crudo and Caprese. Both were good and unique, but not the best I have ever had (however, I frequently have Caesar Salad made table side that is so amazing, I have yet to have one compete). Next we moved on to the Beef Carpaccio. The server had to convince me to order this, since like Calamari, Beef Carpaccio inevitably is the same at every restaurant; however, not at Capische. The flavors and meat quality made this Carpaccio the best I have ever had. We then had the Mushroom Truffle Risotto and the Bolognese. My wife typically doesn’t care for mushrooms, however that night she cleared the dish. This would be the first risotto I have had that was superior to what I make at home. The Bolognese was also amazing. With Veal, Beef, and Pork Sausage, if you enjoy meat, this will become your favorite dish. Next, we shared the Pumpkin Gnocchi and wow! This was hands down one of the best Gnocchi’s we have had. The lavender was a great touch. Since we dine slowly and there was some time between the Gnocchi and ordering our main course, the chef sent out a Sorbet as an intermezzo. This was a perfect touch to not allow too much time without food on the table and to cleanse the palate before the main course. For the main course my wife ordered the Lentil & Farro Fritters. She is also not a huge fan of eggplant; however this was one of the best vegetarian dishes (non pasta) at any restaurant we have been to. I was torn because we have a steakhouse where I eat steak frequently, so didn’t want to go that direction (however if you chose to, the Snake Rivers Farm Product is the best Wagyu purveyor I have had). While I was leaning towards fish, the server recommended the veal chop and was spot on. This was more then just a good cut, it was perfectly prepared with the big island mushrooms and caramelized onion jus. For dessert, we went back to the sorbet, which again was great after a large meal.

I know it’s hard to see how two people could eat so much, however we were there for three and a half hours because we didn’t want the experience to end. The night was amazing and the food and service was excellent. We were told that much of the produce and ingredients are grown at their farm and the quality truly showed. I would definitely rate this is our favorite restaurant in Maui.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Beautiful Hotel with this awesome restaurant. Was there last week and actually met a girl from NY who worked there and was eating at bar. Everything is delicious and the views are breath taking!!!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Wailea and wanted to experience Capishe. We decided to have appetizers at the bar one night after having a big lunch earlier that day. We had a great time learning about Maui from the bartender and thoroughly enjoyed all the appetizers he recommended. Our bill still added up but it turned out to be a fun time.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

It's location is not on the beach, but it has a commanding view that allows almost the entire restaurant to have a great sunset view. Combined with exemplary service and well prepared food it was a memorable evening.