“Not worth the $”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
RI
“Not worth the $”
Reviewed May 19, 2007

We stayed at the Grand Wailea for a week for our honeymoon, following a week in Oahu and Kauai. After the other 2 hotels, we were very disappointed in the Grand Wailea... especially for the cost.

During our stay, the "Hibiscus" pool was out of order for the entire week, which cut down the swimming space quite a bit. We were not aware of this before booking. A restaurant was also closed during our entire stay, as well as finding out the Tsunami nightclub had recently closed and was only for private bookings.

Other than these 3 closings... everything cost extra $, Be careful what you do or it may cost you $! I've never seen a place charge so much for extra crap that should be included if you are already paying inflated prices.

Our stay at Marriot Kauai was awesome and cheaper than Grand Wailea.

Everyday, we would get up early and leave the hotel at 7-8am and not return until 5-6pm to get ready for dinner and go back out. We weren't willing to give anymore $ to this place. $15 for a bagel, i dont think so. THere are much better & friendlier places in Kihei to relax & eat.

The layout of the hotel/grounds is also very confusing. I heard numerous people complaining that they were lost. more signs would help. And location isn't that great. You can't walk to anywhere to get food. We didnt use the beach there once, except the watch the sunset the first day.

Overall, we'd never stay there again. We had heard great reviews from many people of this hotel so decided to 'splurge' on it for the last week of our honeymoon and were greatly disappointed. We wish we'd have spent that week at Marriot Kauai instead.

• Liked — bed
  • Disliked — dirty pool, multiple closings (pool, restaurant, nightclub), location
9 Thank aec7777

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,253)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
LosAngeles, CA
Reviewed May 18, 2007

Just returned from our 4th trip to Maui, stayed at the Grand Wailea which has always been our favorite resort in the Islands. I think this is now the 3rd review I've written on this resort.

I still have to laugh at some of the previous complaints on this resort. Well at least some people can stop harping on one thing......they repaired the tiles on the Hibiscus pool....not one out of place!

Anyway on to the positives

1)The resort still looks tremendous. The grounds are the BEST in all of Hawaii, bar none. Beautiful and they keep the maintenence up as well, constantly wiping the brass rails, constantly pruning trees and bushes. I honestly have not seen any drop off since I first stayed there 8 years ago

2)We had a great room with a tremendous view.

3)Our bed was insanely comfortable.

4)Service was ALWAYS with a smile, be it from the bell men, to the valets, to the maids, to the landscapers.

5) Although I'm in my 30s, I can't get enough of the waterslides. Too much fun!

6) yes lots of kids at this resort but less so then at some other resorts I've been to in the Islands, and if you stay around the hibiscus pool, the screaming kids might as well have been on Mars because you don't see or hear them.

7)It's still insanely expensive. But this is Wailea. Any of the big resorts in this area are roughly the same price. You ARE going to spend a lot here. If you are budget-constrained for vacation, you probably should look elsewhere. We splurge once a year on vacation and we don't really care about the cost (within reason, of course!)

8)compared to it's 2 main competitors on the same stretch (Four Seasons and Fairmont) I would pick GW every time. The Four Seasons does trump GW in service (water spritzing, etc) but the grounds of the FS aren't even in the same league--not even close. Fairmont is also beautiful but again, aesthetically not on par with GW. In addition the adult area of GW is MUCH bigger, which at least to us was important.

9)The restaurants at GW are a notch below the FS's (and Fairmont's), but that was easily remedied by taking the short 5 minute beautiful walk on the beach to visit the other resorts.

All 3 of these large Wailea resorts are unbelievable and pricey. You will not go wrong by choosing any of them. But pound for pound (and no, I'm not from the UK) GW is the best. We will return again!

6 Thank PatrickRU92
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 14, 2007

I spent a long weekend at the Grand Wailea for my birthday. It is a fantastic hotel.

My room overlooked the wedding chapel and had an ocean view. I arrived to find I had been sent the fruit, cheese and wine gift from room service. It is fantastic and you will end up snacking on it for a couple of days.

The rooms are huge. The bathrooms have both a large soaking tub and a stand alone shower. A bubble bath in their mango bathing gel is fantastic! All of the amenities are top notch. They smell incredible and the bottles are very generous. The terrace is roomy enough to invite a couple of friends over for pre-dinner cocktails.

The beds, linens and towels are all fantastic and cozy. The sofa was equally as comfy and a great place for an afternoon nap. The internet was not wireless, but the connection was fast.

The spa is not to be missed. Don't forget that any spa treatment also comes with standard "spa extras". Some of the extras include wonderful aromatherapy soaking tubs that are really relaxing. They also have different kinds of jacuzzi baths. They also give you a body scrub treatment complimentary. You want to arrive with plenty of time to try all of "free extras". After you finish all of your baths, etc. they invite you up a beautiful staircase. At the top of the staircase they spritz you with some delicious aromatherapy spray. It is a lovely touch and gives you an idea of the attention to detail you will find in the spa. They have a lovely terrace, overlooking the water where you wait for your treatments. This area is co-ed and a great place to meet up with someone before or after appointments. If you can score a treatment room on the oceanside...you won't be disappointed. I recommend the basic massage and facial.

The pool area is lovely and can also get very crowded. The signature pool with the slides, etc. is obviously a magnet for families with children. If you are looking for a quiet place to sunbathe...you will probably opt for the grass area or the beach. There are plenty of lounge chairs and towels. I'm not really a fan of having to wear a bracelet to get a towel, but there is no choice. Plus, the kids seem to enjoy collecting their wristbands in different colors each day they are at the hotel. The slides and the lazy river are fun. You won't want to miss a trip to the pool bar in the cavern. It is worth a swim over there for a "Chi-Chi"---a "Chi Chi is a vodka version of a Pina Colada...and my new favorite drink. :)

Room service was quick and the prices are as high as you would expect. It is worth the expense to have the pancakes with coconut syrup. The Spago at the Four Seasons is a lovely restaurant. You will want to be sure to get a table outside. For a reasonably priced meal that is DELICIOUS...try Joe's Bar and Grill. It is a friendly place with terrific food and it is about 4 minutes from the hotel. It is a good place for two people to sit at the bar.

There are a million things you could say about this resort. It is beautiful. It has everything you could ever need. The service is fantastic. The location is fantastic. It is worth the flight and the expense. I love the Grand Wailea.

• Liked — The view from my room.
  • Disliked — The length of time it took to fly from NYC to Maui. :)
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank travelgrrlnyc
St. Louis
Reviewed May 10, 2007

Aloha,

My wife and I (we are in our early forties) recently returned from a ten day stay in Maui at the Grand Wailea Resort and Spa.

Where to start? We had never been to Hawaii before but found an opening in our calendars and decided to take a trip (at our Travel Agent's Advise) to the Grand Wailea - Maui. We were not disappointed.

The Grand Wailea is indeed GRAND. Before diving headlong into my review, I would like to comment that what I remember most about the Grand Wailea are two things: 1. How genuinely friendly all the people who work there are and 2. How professional the service is.

I have read dozens of Trip Advisor Reviews and have learned that good and bad experiences hinge on two key components; 1. Service -and- 2. Hospitality.

The Staff at the Grand Wailea get extremely high marks from me in both categories. First, a sampling of the level of service the Grand Wailea provides from end to end;

-THE VALET AND BELL STAFF are friendly and don't monkey around. I don't think we waited more than a minute when we drove up to the grounds before we were greeted by the Valet person. They are as efficient as they are pleasant, and they are over-staffed. What a pleasant surprise. EXCELLENT.

-The FRONT DESK staff are all professionals. There are no waiting lines. This is a customer-focused shop. They are all tastefully dressed and very composed. These folks set a fabulous tone on behalf of their property. EXCELLENT.

-CONCIERGE SERVICES. Like their aforementioned colleagues, the Concierge Staff are outstanding. First, The Grand Wailea does not offer the all-too-familiar and painfully understaffed Concierge "Desk" that is hidden somewhere on the premises and is too often staffed by a polite but uniformed young person who seems completely out of place and can offer no help. The Concierge DEPARTMENT at the Grand Wailea is a team of professionals who are well schooled at their craft and endlessly helpful and courteous. They are prepared to handle a wide range of requests and all seem quite comfortable in their roles. As an example, I plopped down at one of their stations on one day and explained to the Concierge that I would like to do some Sport Fishing. The sage gentleman behind the desk interviewed me to learn in detail what would make for a memorable fishing excursion for me (it was my birthday present from my wife) and in no time had me hooked in (get it?) with a Captain and Vessel that best suited both my needs and my personality. That's what I'm talking about. Yes, I got seasick as did my poor non-fishing wife but I did manage to land a very solid Mahi Mahi and we got to get up close and personal with a tandem of Mother and Calf Humpback Whales. For a knucklehead from the mainland, that was AWESOME! EXCELLENT

THE ROOM was located in the NAPUA SUITES a gated (private) tower adjacent to the main hotel. Something about a gate and FREE Breakfast and Happy Hour always makes me feel like I have gotten my evens with the hotel. The guilt I felt as I loaded up my Happy Hour plate with Rumaki's and Mini Quiches really felt decadent! Just kidding. It was great to have free breakfast every morning with piping hot Starbucks Coffee, Fresh Fruit and omelets. The evening fare (Happy Hour) was not quite as scintillating but (naturally) it is hard to beat FREE. VERY GOOD

The room in the Napua Suites was very, very nice. It seems like one of the key barometers for measuring the quality of the room is whether the carpets are worn and/or soiled. I am happy to say that our carpet was new and smelled great! The balcony is spacious and the furniture is top of the line. No Wal Mart stuff in this place. I won't even talk about the view. Suffice to say that it is like being in a postcard. The view of the property and the ocean is absolutely breathtaking. I mean, gorgeous. Beware of poaching birds when you have your breakfast on the balcony. Their kamakazee skills are well honed and their sense of entitlement to your left overs is not open for debate. Bring your food tray/s in your room when you are finished or you will have bird dew all over your outdoor furniture. EXCELLENT

The bed (while elegant) was the only disappointment. I don't know if two eight hundred pound people slept in it before us but the mattress was pretty bogus. It was really riding low in our two sleeping "valleys" and was very high in the middle. The Grand Wailea fails in this department. If you have a fickle lower back and/or you like a firm mattress - you'd better bring lots of Advil. Even the addition of two pieces of plywood under our mattress did not improve the condition of the mattress. NOT EXCELLENT

The room is spacious and the appointments (art, furniture, lighting...) are all extremely tasteful and soothing. More importantly, the couch and matching chair are genuinely comfortable, another sure sign of a top notch hotel. The room was also outfitted with a 32" Flat Panel HDTV which made me feel right at home. High Speed Internet Access is FREE and their data pipe is BIG. I was surfing the internet at 2 and 3 mb with no interruption of service. I might also add that my Sprint wireless data card (for my laptop) worked wonderfully (and wirelessly) from my perch on the balcony. BIG BONUS for you business types (like me) who need connectivity. EXCELLENT

The Bathroom (I am being serious) is the highlight of the suite. It is gigantic and is absolutely heavenly. It boasts a luxurious oversized tub with jacuzzi jets and a separate shower with one of those shower heads that make you feel like you are standing in the rain. The water pressure (another sign of a great property) is outstanding. When you put the shower head on the massage setting you will really relax. This feature surely saved me a grand in massage services at the Spa and enabled me to overlook the lameness of the spent mattress. The oversized vanity area with double bowl sinks and tons of mirrors is a woman's dream. One warning: Watch out for opening and actually using any of the native toiletries in the baskets. They aren't free. I opened a bottle of hydrating botanical rose hip moisturizer and learned (too late) that it was FOR SALE. EXCELLENT

Room Service does a very efficient job, which is rare for such a large resort. While I can't recommend any of their specialties, I will say that their $100 Bacon Cheeseburger with French Fries is delicious. Just kidding. It was probably $15 US. The key to Room Service is speed and The Grand Wailea (thanks again to solid management and sound quality control) delivers, literally. The food was always on time and the wait staff was courteous, professional and HONEST! No double tipping in this joint! They let you know each and every time that an 18% gratuity has already been added and that all one needs to do is sign the receipt. I can't count the number of times where I have been tricked by unscrupulous, unprincipled Room Service servers (in lesser hotels) who have wantonly baited me into over-tipping them. In fact, I am full of rage and bitterness over this. Maybe I need some counseling or a Hospitality Anger Management (HAM) class or something, I don't know... VERY GOOD

The Pool and Beach are to faint over. There are an over-abundance of COMFORTABLE pool chaises and chairs for all. No need to set the alarm for 6AM to reserve your favorite spot or put in dibs for a coveted cabana. Just Hang Loose and enjoy.
We particularly liked the expertly manicured lawn that stretches for quite a distance from the Adult Pool to the beach. This is a great place to catch ray, enjoy the service of the pool wait staff, and take a refreshing dip in the not-too-crowded pool as the need arises. Again, no pressure and no overpopulation. Just pure relaxation in paradise. The other thing we enjoyed was the perfect weather. Maui was in the low to mid eighties every day and always featured a cool and pleasant breeze. By contrast, a trip to Florida in April is akin to making a date with Hades. The extreme, burning heat and stifling humidity make a trip to Florida in summer seem more like competing in a Triathalon. Maui's soft sands and gorgeous emerald-blue waters and mesmerizing mountains are absolutely king in my book. As everyone else advises, make sure you have the Sunscreen ready for action. The sun is so intense that the drive in our Hertz convertible Mustang (A Lemon) without sunscreen was an early vacation miscue. Definitely have the sunscreen applied before heading from the Airport/Car Rental place to the Grand Wailea and try to get a Seabring Convertible. Much nicer. The scenery is so breathtaking (atop the mountains and overlooking the ocean) that you will want to make sure you have an unobstructed view of the amazing panorama that is Maui. The Convertible is key.

The flight from St. Louis to Maui was long but United Airlines does an excellent job. Their staff are really friendly and an upgrade from Economy to Economy Plus ($89/person at the Gate) was worth every dime for the additional nine inches of leg room. Add a good pair of Bose Headphones or a DVD or two to the mix, topped off with an Ambien and you are as good as gold.

The Bottom Line: We spent $10k for ten days in Maui. That's a grand a day for two people. Was it worth it? Every dime. If you are looking to spoil yourself and to chill out in a very, very nice resort - you will not be disappointed. If you are wanting to see Hawaii on a budget, I would not recommend this avenue. But, why fly all the way to paradise and then get bent out of shape over nickels and dimes, anyway? Did I mention that we ran into John Corbett, the star of My Big Fat Greek Wedding? My wife was glowing. He was well disguised in a bucket hat and oversized, mirrored Ray Ban's but the MRS still found him out. If only I had such magnetism! Oh well, at least I found the Grand Wailea. :)

Mahalo.........................

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Mattress
16 Thank rongerimini
houston
Reviewed May 10, 2007

My hsband and I just returned from a week long stay at the Grand Wailea. We were celebrating our 12 year anniversary and chose the GW based on the glowing revies of 2 good friends. We were not disappointed!

Yes, there are lots of kids but not as many as other times of the year. May is a great time to go for that reason. We have 2 children (who we left at home) but found that it did not bother us to have other people's kids around- we did not have to take care of them! :)

The grounds and hotel are just beautiful- so lush and over the top. While the Four Seasons is nice if you want peace and quite, we liked the variety that GW had to offer. You could go for quiet at the adult pool or more action at the activity pool. We actually chose to hang out at the activity pool more often, even without the kids. It was not overrun by any means. Very relaxing. The beach area is really nice as well.

Of course, it is true that everything is very expensive. At the end of the trip you are sort of numb to the fact that in Maui breakfasts are $50 and dinners can be $250+. You can go cheaper, I am sure. However, this was a once in a blue moon trip for us so we decided to indulge and live like "rock stars"!

The staff were all friendly and helpful. We had a "cheap" room- $345 per night -and it was spacious and clean. And the beds are SO comfortable!

I highly recommend the Grand Wailea. It was an unforgettable trip and do not regret our choice of hotels one bit!

• Liked — gorgeous property, excellent location, awesome spa!
  • Disliked — nothing
7 Thank anne2mark
Waupaca, WI
Reviewed May 9, 2007

We stayed at the Grand Wailea from April 30-May 2, 2007. We then spent the rest of our week at the Westin in Kannappli. The Grand Wailea was very nice and our family had a great time. We took our 3 kids ages 5, 3 and 11 months. This was our 5th time to Hawaii, but our first time at the Grand Wailea. Hawaii is a great destination for families and this resort is also perfect for families. Everything is beautiful here from the lobby and hotel areas to the wonderful pool area. We had a basic hotel room and it was very nice. The bathroom is nice and big and the shower is great. There was a good amount of guests at the resort while we were there, but it was by far not crowded or filled to capacity. We ate the breakfast buffet and it was really good. We have grown to look forward to all the breakfast buffets at the hotel in Hawaii. Worth the price. The view from our table was wonderful. There is also a grab and go type food area which was fine. Had breakfast there the 2nd morning and got a pizza meal deal there the 1st night which was a good price. The pool is pretty awesome. Lots of pools connected by waterslides. The largest waterslide and the rapids waterslide is fun. My 5 year old daughter loved the rope swing. I was amazed at how many tiny kids could swing on that rope into the deep water. There is also a zero depth entry sandy baby beach area that is wonderful for smaller kids. This is so handy when you have smaller kids that can't swim by themselves yet. We never had a problem finding chairs by the pool. I was able to spend some time at the spa. It was awesome. Don't go to the Grand Wailea without experiencing this. It is one of the top spas in the country. The best part is the 1 hour of the hydotherapy area that you get before your scheduled treatments, This is the best part. Get there 1 hour early to take advantage of this. This is fun. You are escorted in and given a locker with a towel and cool spa flip flops. You then take a private shower with the spas special soaps and shampoos. They then give you a quick tour of the hydrotherapy area. There are 5 or 6 hydrotherapy tubs that you can take short sits in. Each one is different. The papaya one is the best. Between each dip you go in a shower that has a zillion high powered nozzels that rinse you off in 30 seconds. There are also waterfall showers that you can sit in that massage your shoulders. There are also 2 hot tubs each with a cold plunge pool. During your time here they call you out for a brief exfoilating scrub. There is drinks to hydrate yourself. The best iced tea I ever had. The hydrotherapy area is bathing suit optional. I was kind of nervous about this, but everyone had bathing suits on. There was only one naked person. After your hour is up you take your bathing suit is off and they give you a robe. You get to sit for a few minutes on an outdoor balcony overlooking the resort. Beautiful. I then received a 4 hands massage with two people massaging me. It was good, but I wished I had tried one of the other treatments that I couldn't get anywhere else. This was the most uncovered I had been for a massage, but it was fine. All the important parts were covered. Even massaged my belly, which was different. The shops were nice at the Grand Wailea. There is a store with Grand Wailea apparel and a bath & body shop that you can by your favorite products from the spa. It is a little expensive. The shopping mall that is just outside the grand wailea is nice. Lots of good shops, an ABC store, and a cheeseburger in paradise restaurant. We had a great time at the Grand Wailea. It is expensive! Last year we stayed at the Hyatt in Kannappli and we thought that was just as elegant and nice for our family with a little less cost. We have also stayed at the Westin which is also very nice and has a pool comparable to the Grand Wailea. Although, at the Westin there is not a baby pool/play area, which is harder if you have small children. The hyatt has a smaller pool and a waterslide and does have a sandy baby pool/play area with a small waterslide.

Stayed May 2007
8 Thank WIHappyfamily
South Lyon, MI
Reviewed May 7, 2007

The Grand Wailea was clean and the staff was very helpful. We had reserved an ocean front room and were given a room with an obstructed view upon arrival. We contacted the front desk and they gladly switched our room. The food was great and a close walk to the shops of Wailea. We stayed at the Wailea March 12-17, 2007.
Great beach and activities available. The pool areas were phenominal. We would recommend this hotel.

• Liked — The view of the ocean and the Spa
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank scubawidow
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!