“Grand pools, but worn out room!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Calgary, Canada
“Grand pools, but worn out room!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2007

Our family of four (which includes two adults and two children; ages 12 and 14) just returned from an eight-day stay at the Grand Wailea Resort. Although the grounds and pools were beautiful, our room was not. The carpeting was worn out and dirty, the bathroom doors (around the handles inside and out) were paint-chipped and coated with grime and looked like they have never been cleaned (such a simple chore to take care of, too!), the toilet room wallpaper had lots of stains on it, which I hope were not from bodily fluids, and our lanai was a sticky mess from spilled drinks of previous guests. I have included some photos for you to see.

The charge for this five-star deluxe ocean-view room was $790/night, plus taxes. Our ocean view was beautiful, but needless to say, the room was a huge disappointment, especially since we had read so many great reviews about this hotel. I just can’t explain what happened with this particular room, but we were unlucky enough to get it. We have never stayed in a five-star hotel room, which we do exclusively, that looked anything like this. I don’t know if it was just this floor (the 7th floor off the Napua Tower elevators), this wing, or what, but unfortunately the Grand Wailea has (this) some really awful rooms. If you should decide to stay at this hotel, just be aware that at the very least it is a crapshoot, because not all the rooms are five-star in quality or cleanliness. Maybe two or three stars, but not five.

I tried to check out other rooms for comparison, as we walked down the hallway of the 7th floor. I could tell that carpeting in some of the rooms has been replaced, so they have made some changes in carpeting in some of the rooms on the 7th floor. At check in, before we had even seen our room, we asked to be upgraded to a suite, but the woman at the front desk told us the hotel was operating at full capacity and there were no other rooms available. Maybe since they were operating at full capacity they opened up their “mature rooms” to accommodate a greater number of guests. She told us we could be added to a waiting list for a suite, but we declined, as we didn’t want to play musical chairs. I absolutely regret that decision now, although, even getting a suite (or another room) wasn’t guaranteed.

Our room was quiet the whole week until our final night, which was a Saturday night. It was noisy. There were guests, one or two floors down from us, who decided to have a drunken party which spilled out from their room onto their lanai. We could hear streams of foul conversations and foul words I would have liked my children to miss. That went on for about an hour before someone closed the party down.

The staff was mostly pleasant, but I did get a sense that some of the staff are burned out. My worst experience was at Café Kula. The employee’s behavior towards a couple being served in line ahead of me was horrific. The couple had asked a simple question, and as they turned to walk away, the staff member mimicked them in a whiney voice. This staff member was so blatantly rude that I couldn’t believe it.

On the positive side, the food in the restaurants at the Grand Wailea were good. Pricey, but good. We dined in all the restaurants at the hotel, sometimes multiple times. Dinner for our family of four cost about $300 per evening. That included fresh fish and/or tenderloin for the entrée, a salad or side dish, soda pop, and dessert. Our bill didn't include any alcoholic drinks. I heard one woman at the pool complain that alcoholic drinks cost $12. I don’t know if that was true for all drinks, but it was believable, as this hotel (and Maui in general) is expensive. The breakfast buffet at the Grand Wailea Grand Dining Room cost $27/person. The food was good and, as with all the restaurants in the hotel, it has an incredible view of the ocean. We ate our breakfasts there every morning.

As far as activities go, besides the multiple pools, the Grand Wailea has a scuba pool and they offer their guests free scuba diving lessons. We tried this activity (our children did, too!) and we had a great time. After an hour or two of lessons, they took us out in the ocean for an ocean dive. It was the hit of our trip. They also have kayak rentals (which we rented twice), surf board rentals, small boats, etc. Of course, the Grand Wailea pools, with their countless water slides and waterfalls, were a big hit, too. Even for us adults! The pools were the only thing that kept us from moving out of the hotel altogether, especially since these activities kept us busy outside of our dirty room. One tip, though. If you should decide to stay at this hotel, ask for a room that is somewhat close to the pool. It was a long hike for us to get to the pool, the water activities, restaurants, beach path, etc. It was another disappointment about our room.

Our room was in desperate need of cleaning and refurbishment and we were especially disappointed that the hotel management continues to pass this room off as a five-star room. Shame on them! Had the hotel not been operating at full capacity, we would have asked for another room. In the end, our final Grand Wailea bill (hotel, food, and activities only) for the week was about $10,000. Too much for a two-star room(!), but everything else was (mostly) grand.

After returning home, I emailed the hotel management about our disappointment in our stay, but so far (one week and counting), I’ve received no apology or explanation from upper management explaining why they continue using this room (especially at this price!) Another red flag and disappointment. I would love a refund commensurate to the type of room we were given.

You can bet that we won't be staying at this hotel again, nor recommend it, unless the entire hotel goes through refurbishment. We won’t take the chance again of getting another worn out Grand Wailea room. What is ironic is that we didn't stay at the Four Seasons Hotel (next door) because the rooms are currently under renovations (until June 2007). We just didn't know we would end up staying in a room that was in desperate need of renovation itself.

• Liked — The pools.
  • Disliked — Mature, dirty rooms.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
25 Thank spnslc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,241)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Camarillo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2007

My fiancé and I both loved our stay at this resort. My sister was married and the wedding coordinator did a fantastic job, the wedding in the chapel was beautiful and the food for the reception was great. This was by far the nicest vacation/wedding I have been to. You must go to the spa, it was magical and completely relaxing. The pool is tons of fun and everyone in my family enjoyed the water slide and the water elevator. Get to the pool early if you plan on getting a nice location on the pool lounges. Drinks from the bar were excellent and all around the service was divine. I plan on going back as soon as possible.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank Needadayoff
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2007

A lovely resort. Our room was on the 7th floor with a spectacular view of the ocean. We could watch whales spouting and breaching from our balcony. We are water fanatics so we brought our own snorkel gear and hit the water really early in the morning - 7AM. The snorkel spots get busy as the day goes on. We would recommend two good spots off the hotel beach walk. The first was to the left (as you face the water) where the beach hits the lava rock. Head into the water here and swim way out. If you dive down you can actually hear the whales - very cool. We saw lots of turtles, sea urchins and triggerfish. The other spot is to the right - Ulua beach. Just start walking to the right and just after the private hotel front you will see a public beach and dive shop. Enter the water here. Lots of fish in the shallows but if you follow the reef straight out you will find turtles and hear the whales. We even saw a Manta Ray glide by. Just amazing for a snorkel trip. It was as nice as a typical scuba dive trip. At the hotel everything is super expensive and crowded. If you want to lounge by the pool get there early. There are extra charges for cabana's and nice cushioned chairs. Just expect to pay more for the best service. The pool and water slides are as fun as they appear.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Musty odor in the room - they all have it
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
7 Thank Thunderpunch
Midwest
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2007

My family stayed at the Grand Wailea the second week of October 2006. We had spent the first part of our vacation at the Hyatt Kaanapali and really liked it, but we were blown away by the Grand Wailea.

Upon arrival we were upgraded to a Napua Club Room, which is comparable to concierge level. Every evening we enjoyed complimentary hors d'oeuvres (crudite, crostini, etc.) and drinks (loved the planter's punch) and a delicious breakfast every morning, which included fruit, breakfast breads, and a hot item, such as eggs.

Our room in the Napua Tower was very spacious. The bath amenities smelled so tropical and great - my daughter brought them home and enjoyed "smelling like Hawaii" for a few days longer!

The grounds were immaculate and so beautiful. We loved strolling around in the morning and evenings and enjoying all the flowers and foliage.

The pools were great fun. I enjoyed perching on a ledge along the edge of the pool with a good book every morning to get some sun. My husband and daughter had all kinds of adventures on the waterslides and in the little hideaway cove areas. We had heard that sometimes it was necessary to get to the pool area early in order to secure a chair. This wasn't a problem for us at all, I guess since we were there at a slower time of year. We had our pick of chairs around 8:30 each morning, and even around noon there were desirable chairs available.

The beach was gorgeous, but the waves were a little stronger than we expected. Nothing too enormous, but they did pack some power. My daughter had a nasty wipeout on her boogie board one morning when wave picked her up and dumped her head first into the sand, resulting in a bloody nose. The staff at the beach booth were very helpful, setting her up with a bag of ice, cool drink, and fresh towel.

I think my favorite part was the afternoon my daughter and I spent at the spa. The hydrotherapy pools (included in most spa treatments or available a la carte) were so relaxing. My daughter had a lava stone massage that she is still talking about. All the staff were so kind and helpful. Couldn't have been any better.

The only restaurant on site that we tried was Cafe Kula. We had a pizza for lunch one afternoon, and it was fine - typical pizza.

I would highly recommend the Grand Wailea to anyone. It is definitely in the top five of our best vacation stays ever.

• Liked — spa, pool
  • Disliked — expensive (but worth it)
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank jley
OKC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2007

Our family has been guests at the Grand Wailea for the last several years. We traveled to Maui during December, 2006 and spent a few days at GWR before being joined by our extended family and moving on to the condos right next door at Wailea Beach Villas. We really like the Grand Wailea. There is much to do: pool, beach, exercise room, spa, shopping, restaurants or just sitting on your lanai.

Of course the highlight of any trip to the Grand is the awesome swimming pools. The pool area is notoriously crowded, but we have have always been able to get chairs - shade for us is a must, so we travel with small beach umbrellas that attach nicely to the lounge chairs. When you tire of lounging around the pool, Wailea Beach is right there for you to enjoy as well.

About three years ago we discovered the Napua Tower section of the resort. Staying in the Napua Tower has been terrific - you pay a slight premium to stay there but in return you receive continental breakfast with one warm selection & unlimited coffee/tea/hot chocolate; afternoon cocktails; afternoon pupas with one warm selection and FULL-TIME concierge service.

The guest rooms are lovely and very large - seem to be slightly larger in the Napua Tower. We roll-in a bed for our son and still have plenty of room to maneuver throughout the room. Some of the furnishings are beginning to look a tiny bit dated but we did not feel it distracted much from the loveliness of the room. The bathroom is big and luxurious with extensive use of marble. There is a coffee service in the room but we rarely used it as coffee is available in the Napua Tower lounge.

We were able to enjoy a spa treatment as well. Because of scheduling constraints, we visited the spa after we had checked out and were staying at the condos next door. The spa personnel were very professional and accommodating - felt really lucky to have been able to get an appointment on a fairly short notice.

The real downside of the GWR is that everything is very expensive - dipping dots about $6; children's hot dog about $9; daily resort fee; valet parking. We have learned over the years to combat some of the expense by stopping at Safeway in Kihei before arriving at the hotel - we buy snacks, dry food, soda, gatorade, etc. to last throughout our stay.

I would not hesitate to recommend the Grand Wailea - especially recommend it for families with children or young adults. It is a great place to stay!

• Liked — Swimming pools. Wailea Beach location.
  • Disliked — All the extras are very expensive.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
7 Thank soonerbornOK
atlanta, georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2007

We stayed at the GW over Thanksgiving Break 06. I was very worried at first over some of the previous posts. I am happy to say that we had a wonderful time even at peak season.
The resort was very crowded but the only place it mattered was the pool area. We always found seats at the beach and since we were in the water most of the time, it did not matter that we did not have poolside chairs. I tried several times to book a cabana for the day, but was told none were available. My son loved the tarazan swing and water elevator.
I cannot speak to the expense because my husband won the trip, as part of an reward, for meeting sales objectives thoroughtout the year. We were part of a large group.
My husband and I both had massages at the spa and it was wonderful.
The only issue I had was with the down pillows that aggravated my allergies. Housekeeping brought up down alternative pillows and that solved the problem.
We loved The Grand and would come back, even if we had to pay for it oursleves.

• Liked — The pool and water slides!
  • Disliked — Not being able to rent a cabana
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank cumberlandga
San Diego
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2007

We are looking forward to staying at the Grand Wailea, but with dampened enthusiasm after an ugly interaction with their reservations department. After booking our 3 night stay by phone, the email confirmation arrived days later (after calling them back), and showed us as staying 4 nights, one more than we had reserved.

We called the hotel to advise it of its error and were told that we would be charged for the cancelled night. When we objected to being charged for a night we had never reserved in the first place, the agent insisted (albeit politely) that hotel policy required the charge.

Without success, we objected again--both to being charged for a night we hadn't reserved and to the discrepancy between the agent's description of the cancellation policy and the version on the hotel's website and on our emailed reservation, which said "TWO NIGHT DEPOSIT AT TIME OF RESERVATION. CANCELLATION 14 DAYS PRIOR TO ARRIVAL".

Since we were staying 3 nights, the 2 night deposit wasn't a problem, if applied to 2 of the three nights we were staying. But it wasn't--it was being applied to the first AND LAST nights , so any shortening of the length of the stay - even a 60 day stay-would always result in a penalty. Over many years of staying at 4/5 star properties, we've never encountered such a policy, and it was especially galling to have it applied to a "change" in a reservation required by the hotel's own error. Is it possible there is a problem with disapointed customers wanting to leave early?

The hotel being owned by the Hilton chain, we sought help from their main reservations department as well, who refered us back to the hotel front desk. . We reached a front desk manager after demanding to speak to someone with authority over the reservations. Finally, reason prevailed, and the front desk manager confirmed our reservation for the correct number of days, with no penalty.

Take home lesson: when you book at the Grand Wailea, DON'T RELY ON IT'S WEBSITE FOR INFORMATION ON IT'S CANCELLATION POLICIES. Get the details in writing, and make sure that you get written, accurate confirmation of your reservation. Or, save yourself the trouble until the GW's reservation system improves, and stay at the Four Seasons or Fairmont instead. You won't get the GW's pools, but won't have the headache of poorly /explained policies and charges either.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
13 Thank SoCal_travels
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 31 in Lahaina
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Westin Maui Resort And Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!