“Enjoyed it--but too pricey for my wallet”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
California
“Enjoyed it--but too pricey for my wallet”
Reviewed January 11, 2007

I lucked out and joined my husband who happened to be at a conference at the Grand Wailea. The rooms were nice, the grounds were beautiful, and the views were fantastic. Since we were on the company dollar, I enjoyed it even more, though the continuous add-ons to the bill was a bit ridiculous. I can understand the complaints of some about the service. If I'm spending $400/night out of my pocket, then I want the staff to go the extra mile for me. The staff was always helpful, but to an extent, such as the waitress that did a good job with the exception of acting like she wanted to be some place else or the valet who pointed us in the general direction of our rental car instead of offering to get it for us. Trivial, yes, but you're paying for great service and a great room at those prices.

Stayed November 2006
4 Thank staceyss

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,299)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed January 9, 2007

A great resort. The restaurants, room, service and location were all excellent. The pool is fantastic. A great experience.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank mikeam
So Calif
Reviewed January 4, 2007

We stayed here over the Thanksgiving weekend and loved it. We have two girls ages 5 & 8 who were are spoiling by taking them to these places by the wife and I love the Resorts. The hotel is GRAND. Lots of families and kids and next to the Shops at Wailea. I recommend making reservations at restaurants in the Shops at Wailea as we always seem to have to wait when we go there. We had a great view and ambiance at Humumhunukunukuapua'a which is an ocean view restaurant in the Grand Wailea. The name is for Hawaii's state fish which supposedly makes a pig noise outside the water.

The pools were awesome. Several different sized water slides, swim up bar, cave, water elevator etc... It was extremely crowded with families but it was ok since I was one of them. You had to get to the pool early to get a good seat location. The food at the pool is way overpriced for the quality. We usually layed on loungers at the beach which is very large and suprisingly not crowded. Its just steps away from the pool so we didn't bother fighting for chairs by the pool. We had a 9th floor room facing the Four Seasons which produced an awesome sunset this time of year.

The room was not a suite and it was large with a nice balcony and large bathroom.

We loved it. Highly recommend. I rate a 9 out of 10.

• Liked — Pools
  • Disliked — Prices
  • Tips/Secrets — Get to pool early for good chairs
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank kacnjmcsdad
La Jolla, California
Reviewed January 3, 2007

This hotel was great. We loved it! Our party consisted of grandparents, parents, and two children (18 months and 3 years). It suited us all.

The best reason to stay at this hotel is the pool. We visit Hawaii more than once a year, and found this to be THE pool. A 9 yo fellow swimmer pointed out to me that is basically a waterpark. From our parties' experience, you will enjoy it if you are a toddler and you will enjoy it if you are 70yo.

What's so great about it? Cascading waterslides, unique jacuzzis, lazy river, water elevator and two impressive waterpark sytle slides. If that's not enough, there is an adults only pool that seemed equivalent to the 5 star neighboors only pool.

Of course the location on the beach in Wailea was phenomenal. The views are gorgeous. The artwork on the grounds, amazing (their are tours led two times a week). The rooms were perfect. We loved the bathrooms and bath products. We received outstanding service.

So whats not so great? The food is very expensive, but comparable to other resorts. Consider renting a refrigerator for $30/stay. There is a fee for parking. I do agree, with such high room rates, can't parking/refrigerators be included?

Ultimately, I don't care and will definately go back. No resort pool can compare, in my opinion. Of note, we got a great rate, so shop around.

Another recommendation, is if you have the time consider renting a condo first....do your sight seeing/adventuring...then come to the resort and relax. We did that and just loved it.

• Liked — The location and pool
  • Disliked — The price
  • Tips/Secrets — Shop around for rates
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
8 Thank solomentehawaii
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 30, 2006

We stayed here at the beginning of December for both my husband's and my birthdays. We also brought along our 2 1/2 year old son. We stayed here last year for Christmas and both times we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We loved the fact that the kiddie pool had a sandy bottom and was shaded with palm trees. Furthermore, it was easy to access the beach from the pool. Everyone was extremely courteous and helpful. We had our hot and cold taps reversed and a crew came up immediately to fix it that morning. Do remember to pick up water, milk and snacks at the neighbouring mall or anywhere else if you have rented a car because the resort prices for these essentials are exorbitant. The shops at the hotel were also a good place to find unique toys and clothes for Christmas shopping! Housekeeping came twice a day so even with a toddler, our room was clean and tidy and a joy to relax in. The Lava drinks were also very addictive.

• Liked — The beautiful gardens and pools, the views, the beach
  • Disliked — The furniture and carpets were getting worn and ratty looking
  • Tips/Secrets — If you like art, look for all the pieces throughout the hotel and look for the guided tour
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank amscanuck
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed December 28, 2006

My wife and I visited this hotel to check out how it stacked up as to setting and atmosphere. (We were staying in the Fairmont. Nice!) This place is a city!! I told that to a travel agent on holiday that I met and she said "No, it is a country". Get the picture? Despite the size of the grounds, it was wall-to-wall people at the pool and beach areas. Jersey shore in August anyone? We went on to explore the hotel and were baffled by its complexity. You really need a roadmap to find your way around. We concluded--Not particularly user friendly. We did not try the Humuhumu... restaurant because of the numerous negative reviews from folks on the web. We sincerely thank y'all for the sage advice and guidance.

Stayed December 2006
4 Thank cuisinator007
Westerville Ohio
Reviewed December 18, 2006

This is our 4th trip to Maui and the Grand Wailea. You can write all you want about the service at the 4 Seasons, but the Grand Wailea has it all over that admittedly fine hotel in the beauty dept. I think it was a Hyatt originally and whoever built it poured beauty and creativity into every corner of the public spaces of the hotel.

Seeing it decorated for Christmas was a treat. The chef and staff had made a gingerbread village, lighted and complete with a beach shack, that was truly incredible. The Botero Bar,which I love, was draped with lovely gold fabric and trimmings, and poinsettias banked the Botero sculptures, which only seem to get more beautiful with each passing year.

I agree that 15 years of hard use have made some repairs necessary and the hotel was undertaking small renovations while we were there- for example, the Kula Cafe where we usually get breakfast was closed. However it is minor wear, not major wear and nothing that would detract from my enjoyment of the hotel.

The pools were in excellent shape and the gardens and koi loooked wonderful as usual. Excellent maid service. Very responsive service to all our requests overall.

My tips for a great Grand Wailea experience? Self park your car, please don't participatei n towel wars, trying to stake out your area for the whole day- just think, if everyone stopped doing it, how much nicer it would be, (towel wars were OK this visit, unlike in April when i was there last), get your own water and pop for the room off property, and make a dinner reservation at Roy's in Kihei, you will not be disappointed. Also, I know the poolside burgers are expensive but the guacamole burger is great. Mai Tai's are made particularly wickedly. That means well.

Ask for what you want nicely and 9 out of ten times you will get it. It is not easy to work at a hotel and a good attitude can really help. Go to the spa and you will enjoy it, I promise. The lomi lomi massage is great....and the Terme, which is the pools in the spa, are incredible so really, get there at least an hour early so you can enjoy before your service. I had a poolside pedicure and it was great. I can't wait to go back.

• Liked — The beauty of the gardens, the koi ponds, the pools, and the spa
  • Disliked — resort fees stink
  • Tips/Secrets — in the review
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
14 Thank mamakin2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
#2 of 8 in Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!