“Don't waste your time and money.”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Toronto
“Don't waste your time and money.”
Reviewed August 7, 2006

While the beach was beautiful and the grounds were fantastic I would definitely NOT go back to The Grand Wailea Resort. We travelled over 10 hours to get to the Grand Wailea from Toronto and were not given the room we requested.

The first problem was we booked an Oceanview Deleux Room and were given an Oceanview Room. No one at the resort would actually listen to us that the room was wrong and so we had to call our travel agent in Toronto to straighten it out. A total pain when you're on vacation and hoping to relax. Also be warned THE OCEANVIEW ROOMS DO NOT GIVE YOU A VIEW OF THE OCEAN. Save your money and get a garden view room instead. The customer service was extraordinarily bad....after our travel agent notified them of the issue they still did nothing to approach us about the problem. It is a farce that they call themselves a 5 star resort.

The resort was very busy and huge. As well, there were kids everywhere and was not very romantic at all. Honeymooners beware! For a resort this expensive (almost $800 a night) they nickel and dime you. Nothing is complimentary. I would save my money and go to a different resort.

Very disappointed.

• Liked — The grounds were wonderful
  • Disliked — The service was horrible and the Oceanview room did not have a view of the ocean.
  • Tips/Secrets — Unless you have kids and like to be overcharged, skip this hotel.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
11 Thank SMerr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,301)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
California
Reviewed August 3, 2006

I stayed at the Grand Wailea Resort for 10 days in July 2006. The resort exceeded our expectations on every level. The food was fantastic, my room (garden view) was the best room I have ever had from any hotel, and the resort grounds were absolutely paradaise.

I could probably write pages of excellent hotel features if I desired. This hotel was so good that my kid asked if we could permanently move there; I wish!

• Liked — The five-star quality.
  • Disliked — Leaving.
  • Tips/Secrets — Go there or miss out on a quality trip.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank TravelingMel
denver
Reviewed August 3, 2006

After reading some of the bad reviews I was a little nervous about choosing the Grand Wailea for my husband and three kids but we loved it!. In the past 4 months my family and I have stayed at Ritz Carlton, the Broadmoor Colorado Springs and the Regent Beverly Wilshire and I can say this place is equally gorgeous. I feel like I can be a picky person and this place fulfilled all my expectations. The grounds are absolutely beautiful. True, it doesn't have the 5 star service of a Ritz Carlton but it was clean and the grounds are kept up very nice. I would just say it reminded me more of a Marriott, Hilton, Sheridan, etc. One thing for sure, this hotel is all about families. The pools are made for kids and parents who want to spend time with their kids. Every kid would love this place. We went over to Four Seasons for dinner at Spago and it was great but then we decided to walk around for awhile. After our little walk we knew we chose the right place to vacation. The Four Seasons was nice but felt like a great place for honeymooners and couples celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary. My kids would have NEVER been able to relax there. Anyway, back to Grand Wailea, I thought the food was fine at the restaurants including the Hummahumma (that was actually one of our best meals). The shops on the grounds were fun and convenient as you could run down there from 7 am to around 10 pm and charge it all to the room. I loved The Shops of Wailea next door. It's a close walk and a beautiful shopping area. The beach was perfect. I liked it because it was basically all hotel guests on vacation, not local teenagers hanging out on a public beach. Everything you have heard about the cabanas, chairs, etc. is true. We decided to rent a cabana for every day we were there. If you can do it, it really does make for a more enjoyable afternoon although I did see plenty of people there w/o cabanas and they seemed to look equally as happy. The spa was beautiful. I tried the deep sea facial and it was probably the best facial I have ever had. They offer spa services to kids so my 7 year old daughter had a cocunut/chocolate massage and manicure and pedicure. She really enjoyed it but it seemed like a rip off to me. It just seemed like it went really fast and was over before you knew it. There is a beautiful chapel on the hotel grounds so we decided to attend the Sunday service. If you are into that, I highly recommend it. It really put it all into perspective and reminded me how lucky we were to be sitting there in paradise! We can't wait to get back and as long as our kids our little we would choose the Grand Wailea. When we are a old married couple and the kids are gone we will definately be found next door at the quiet Four Seasons.

Stayed July 2006
10 Thank lovies
Anaheim Hills, CA
Reviewed July 27, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Grand for a week in July to celebrate our first anniversary. I have to admit I was a little nervous about our vacation at the Grand and even attempted to switch our reservation over to the Four Seasons. I'm so glad I didn't!!

Staff: Very friendly and helpful throughout

Room: Very clean, updated, beautiful ocean view (even though our room was technically a garden view), spacious, large bathroom - loved the honey mango shampoos and shower gels, complimentary refrigerator - great for snacks and drinks

Restaurants: Loved the cafe - quick breakfast and lunch options, the volcano bar at the pool was good - yes it is pricey, but so is EVERY resort poolside restaurant I've ever eaten in. I highly recommend the turkey burger and the lava flow drink. We avoided Humuhumu as I had heard mixed reviews - instead headed over to Spago at the Four Seasons (on that note, the hotel is beautiful, but small (I know, "intimate") and my husband would have been bored in their pool. The food was fantastic at Spago as was the service and the view - request one of the tables outside that overlooks the pool and ocean. Headed over to Tommy Bahamas and Cheeseburgers - both good casual dining options

Spa: Beautiful, staff was very friendly, great massage

Pools/Beach: I was most apprehensive about the shade situation. I am fair-skinned and can't sit in the sun all day, even if we were in and out of the pools. The adult pool is gorgeous and kid free, but there isn't an inch of shade outside of the cabanas (on the grass below the adult pool were some semi-shady areas where people were pulling lounge chairs. Your best bet for shade is getting up early - arriving at the pools at 7am is a must - and reserving one of the thatched umbrellas - they shade four chairs. Yes, you do have to stay, because at 8am they were clearing a number of towels off of unoccupied chairs. I didn't mind - the pools are mostly deserted until at least 9 and you can enjoy the sun coming up and the waves crashing in the background. The best location in my opinion was the uppermost pool - incidentally there is a large bank of palm trees up here that provides some shade throughout the day - this pool was the quietest of the main pools. The pools themselves are great, fun for kids and adults alike. We rode the small waterslides that cascade from pool to pool daily and braved the larger waterslides several times. The water elevator is something to do just to say you've seen it, but nothing spectacular. Poolside service was quick and a nice lunch option. The beach is nice and just adjacent to the pool - the water is warm and clear with great snorkeling just off of the beach.

Things to do: We took a helicopter tour to Hana with a luxury van ride back - the only way to do the road to Hana in my opinion - only a four hour drive one way. We drove into Lahaina and I was underwhelmed - Front Street was nothing fabulous - dinner at Kimo's was okay but the view was worth it.

Overall: The hotel itself is gorgeous and feels just like Hawaii - our stay was fabulous and I would definitely choose this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
11 Thank meganlynn
Atlanta
Reviewed July 27, 2006

We just returned from 9 days at The Grand Wailea Resort. It's a great place for a family vacation, but expensive. The hotel facilities were fantastic, the rooms were comfortable, but don't bank on seeing the ocean if you book an "Ocean View" room. Our Ocean View Room looked out at the back of another wing. We could just barely see the Pacific Ocean over the roof of the wing in front of us. The restaurants are overpriced. We recommend the restaurants at The Shops at Wailea, an easy walk or short drive from the hotel.

Stayed June 2006
6 Thank OCB
Seattle, WA
Reviewed July 26, 2006

We stayed at the Grand Wailea in May and I waited to write this review as I have mixed feelings about the property.

Positives:
Rooms are big and were nice at one time
Grounds are beautiful
Pools are pretty good
Beach is close and very nice
Wailea area is very nice

Negatives
Rooms are a bit run down, moldy smelling
Service is terrible
Restaurants are terrible
Waterslides need some work
Pool area was dirty
Wailea area is a bit lacking in things to do.

So, the GW obviously used to be a 5 star property but it isn't anymore. The lack of service here from check in to check out is truly amazing for the price of this hotel. Trying to get service at the pool was impossible, the maid service was late every day and we were skipped completely twice. The staff is obviously not that happy at the Hilton taking over. Twice the hotel closed all the restaurants as the hotel for private parties. They really need to make improvements here. Also the room is badly in need of a thoroughly cleaning and updating.

My kids (6/4/2) enjoyed the pool. The toddler sand pool is nice for the little ones and is right next to the beach. The waterslides were a bit disappointing. There are 2 large waterslides that my kids were too short to go on. These were pretty good. The other waterslides are very short and small and really only good for kids up to about 3. The lazy river actually just is a bunch of pools connected by small waterslides except at the bottom. So you can't float it on a innertube. The pool area was pretty dirty.

The place was very busy but that was expected though we didn't have any issues getting seats in the shade but we were up before 7 every day.

The grounds are beautiful.

This could be an amazing hotel but from all appearances it will continue to get run into the ground.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
8 Thank mike1318
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 18, 2006

We stayed in Grand Wailea in July 2006. We were in a group; we had four rooms. All four rooms were in a very unkept condition. The walls were very dirty. Wall paper was peeling of the wall. The shower doors were in very bad condition. There were spots on the carpet.
A few of us got a rash; from the pool. We met other people with same conditions.
We were told that the hotel, will be remodeled next year; which will take a few years. I think this hotel must avoided during this time.

• Liked — The beach
  • Disliked — rooms
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
14 Thank farid1234
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
#2 of 8 in Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!