“The place to be with kids”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
A TripAdvisor Member
“The place to be with kids”
Reviewed March 26, 2006

Went with 2 small kids, 3yrs and 5yrs. We had the best family vacation. My kids thought it was paradise. Easy, peaceful, expensive but worth it. It's where you want to be with kids in Wailea. Wouldn't recommend without kids, it's really family friendly. It's huge and I normally like intimate hotels, but I got use to it and it felt familiar after a short time. We needed to see a doctor at the hotel and she was excellent. Everything is in walking distance. Bring floating devices for your kids bc there is a lot of water activity. We'll go back every year possible. We discovered the mall next door a little late on our trip which would have saved us some money on meals. We didn't rent a car and it was great. I'm envious of anyone who gets to go. Aloha!

• Stayed October 2005
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,287)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Vancouver, British Columbia
Reviewed March 20, 2006

We have just returned from a 5 day stay at the Grand. We could only afford their terrace rooms (the low end rooms) and was a little concerned over what we would get. We could see the ocean and gardens from our balcony!!The room was generally guiet - some construction noise from accross the street but this wasn't all the time. We found the staff to be helpful and friendly. The grounds and hotel were absolutely beautiful. The pools were also fantastic. Our 13 year old son loved the pools/waterpark as well as body surfing in the ocean. I have read reviews were people complained of too many kids and therefore noise around the pools. There is a separate adult pool which I found to be very quite. We were there during spring break and always found lounge chairs during any time of the day...takes a few minutes to hunt them down but we always found something.

14 Thank baileyman
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 17, 2006

My husband and I stayed here on the front end of a company sponsored trip and absolutely loved every minute of our stay. We were upgraded to the tower rooms which provided breakfast and evening snacks/drinks free of charge so that was a fabulous perk we were not expecting. The staff was fabulous and the rooms were big and the bathrooms bigger. The pools were amazing and we saw many whales right from the beach. The food was priced on the high side but very good and lots of choices on where to eat. My other favorite thing were the bathroom spa products. I agree with the other post; their products are the best I have ever used and I also bought big containers of the honey mango bath gel and lotion and shipped them home. Amazing stuff.

There are a lot of great restaurant choices on the island and we also ate at Mama's Fish House and it was also the food highlight of our trip. Amazing location, fabulous food and the Macadmia Nut Banana Crisp with the Vanilla Ice Cream was the best dessert I ever ate :-)

This place is truly paradise and we actually looked into joining the vacation club because you can get some great discounts on the rooms but we live in Florida so that did not seem like the best choice being so far away; if we lived on the West Coast we would have done it in a heartbeat. We can't wait to return. Mahalo

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle, WA
Reviewed March 11, 2006

I hope you'll love this hotel as much as my husband and I did!

Staff- super attentive and ALWAYS smiling. Housekeeping was excellent. Our room (2013 I think) was gorgeous. Great location, view, and the bathroom is HUGE. The bed was incredibly comfortable and decor is stylish.

Grounds and Beach- Just perfect! Many pools to choose from...or the beach, if you prefer the waves and sand (which I do). You can pull up a chaise lounge around the pools for free, but reserve a cabana if you'd like. It's extra $ and it seems like you need to book way in advance to reserve one. Great if you need shade. They also have Casabellas (covered lounge chairs b/t beach and pools) that are $55 per day. The staff is sporadic in checking to see if you have paid or not ;-)

Food- Wonderful! Of course, you are in Maui and also staying at the Grand Wailea- NOTHING is a good deal when it comes to food and you are likely not looking for a bargain. But if you'd like to venture out of the resort one evening for dinner, go to the Shops at Wailea that are a short walk from the hotel. Tommy Bahama's restaurant is there and it is incredible and well priced. It's a great atmosphere too. There is always live music on the patio (which has heat lamps). I just love it.

Evening excursions- Club life- They have a club called Tsunami at GW, it is only open on Friday and Saturday evenings. I didn't go, but i'm sure it's fine and certainly convenient. Other restaurants- If you can rent a car for the evening, you must drive to Paia and go to Mama's Fish House (----). It's only 30-45 minutes away and it was the highlight of our trip. Make reservations ASAP, at sunset (6:25pm) and ask for a table by the window. Bring a camera :o) Spago and Nicks Fishmarket are other restaurants closer to GW that have great reputations as well (if you don't have time to rent a car to go elsewhere).

I have writers block now! Feel free to email me any specific questions and I will do my best to answer them. kara.bennett@comcast.net.

11 Thank ShaKara
London, UK
Reviewed March 11, 2006

We just got back from 5 days at the GW, courtesy of my husband's company. We had a great time and I can't think of anything to complain about. The hotel is huge and it's easy to get lost! After a couple of days we got our bearings. It is a long walk to the pool but you need to work off the food and cocktails somehow! The room was a nice size, the bathroom large, and both were clean. No problems with noise and the staff were polite and helpful. We used the self parking and always found a space. Great view of the ocean, gardens and West Maui from the balcony. We weren't in the room much as I'd planned to see as much of the island as possible on our short trip (see Maui forum for details). The breakfast buffet is expensive (but we weren't paying!) but there's loads to choose from - fruit, yoghurt, cooked breakfast, freshly made omelettes, pancakes, pastries, waffles etc etc. Or you can order a la carte. We ate lunch in the Molokini Bistro 3 times - again expensive but great views of the ocean and occasionally whales (a personal highlight for me). We didn't get to try the Humuhumu restaurant as our evening meals were provided. Previous posts have mentioned the pool lounger angst - we didn't have our children with us so I chose to sit by the adult only Hibiscus pool and got a lounger on the grass facing the ocean with no problem. Get your wrist band and towels from the pool kiosk. The water elevator is OK but you only need to do it once. The lazy river and slides are great fun, but again we only did them once. We snorkelled off the beach, but didn't see much. Heard the whales though! We had a massage at the spa plus the hour beforehand in the different baths - very relaxing. Our trips out included a helicopter tour, whale watching cruise, ATV at Haleakala Ranch, sunrise at Haleakala crater (we drove ourselves - left GW at 4.30, sunrise 6.35, back for breakfast by 10) and snorkel trip to Molokini and turtles with Kai Kanani off the beach at Maui Prince hotel (10 mins from GW). A fabulous holiday at an amazing hotel, very over the top and not our usual choice, but great to see how the other half live!

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
9 Thank Suzy-jane
Reviewed March 9, 2006

Stayed from March 1-6, 2006 with my husband and a large group from his company. The resort is really beautiful just as almost everyone has already posted. The only issue I had, but it is a personal one, is that the place is just so darned big!!! No location is ideal as far as rooms go. We were in room 6085 and although we were a short walk from the meeting rooms, ballroom and nightclub, it was a hike down to the pool, gym or spa. If you forgot something in your room and needed to go back it was a huge inconvenience. Anyway, on with the review...our check in went smooth and besides the fact that there were no rooms with king sized beds left (heard that complain alot on this board) there were no other problems. Our room, although starting to get a bit outdated, was clean and was kept that way throughout our stay. We were with a large group and had many arranged meals that were paid for by the company which helped out alot because the food at the resort was on the pricey side but certainly no more than any other resort of that type. Yes, drinks at the pool were $10 a pop but coming from the NY area its nothing that I am not used to. We did eat at the breakfast buffet one morning and found it to be very good but once again, it wasnt cheap. We had lunch almost every day out at the pool and found the food to be about average....burgers,wraps etc... The pool itself was very nice, clean, etc.. There were not too many kids there so we spent most of our time at the main pool area. The adult (Hibiscus) pool was a bit too quiet for me. My spa massage was wonderful and I must say worth every penny. I have been to many spas all over the world and found that one to be by far the best. If you are headed there dont miss it!! All in all, my experience at the Grand Wailea was very nice but I would not go back simply because I prefer a smaller resort. That is obviously a personal opinion and it may work just fine for you.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
12 Thank Shelley R
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed March 7, 2006

The aloha is gone! What used to be a fabulous resort has turned into an overpriced average experience. The staff was anything but cordial from arrival to check out. We reserved an ocean front room in the Napua Tower. When we checked in, we were told that we had been "upgraded" to a suite. When we arrived at the very roomy suite, we realized that there was no ocean view-- the only view was of the gardens and someone's discarded underwear in the bushes in front of our lanai. Management was unwilling to move us to an ocean front room in this section, but rather downgraded us to a "partial" view- at the same rate- no concessions!

The rooms are average in size and decently appointed for a supposed five star resort.

The food continues to be severely over priced- hamburgers $14, hot dogs $12, fruity drinks $9... all served with an attitude that is not Hawaiian.

Since Hilton's announcement of take over of management, attitudes seem to have slipped to all time lows on the islands. I certainly hope that Hilton can return this once heavenly resort to its once celestial status. Until then the Four Seasons will have my business.

17 Thank JTMATL
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Westin Maui Resort And Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!