Recently returned from a 7-night stay at the Grand Wailea (supposedly a Hilton property, and therefore, subject to Hilton Honors amenities for qualified Diamond Members!) My fiance and I booked a leisure trip to Maui, and specifically inquired about Diamond Member privileges from both the Grand Wailea and Hilton Honors before booking our stay. We were assured there would be the usual complimentary light breakfast and happy hour drinks and hors' d'oeuvres in the Honors' Lounge from both parties. Imagine our surprise upon check-in when we were advised by a manager that no such amenity exists at this property. They may be owned by Hilton, but they don't treat Hilton's Diamond members as such. Now, we did not book this hotel for frees snacks, but we were cashing in almost 300,000 points, and had we been properly advised upon booking, we might have chosen the Hilton Waikoloa on the Big Island, instead (which, by the way, is a fabulous property!) We were given a token coupon for a free bottle of champagne at one of the restaurants on property, instead. Frustratingly, even our call to Hilton's 800 number was not returned until one week later, as we sat in the airport for our return flight!
Despite this awkward launch to our vacation, we still enjoyed the property. We are avid swimmers, and loved the beach and ocean the hotel faces. We ate off-property a lot in local spots to avoid the obvious "touristy" vibe, but we did dine one night at the restaurant on property : it starts with an "H", and is one of those names with about 17 letters, and far too difficult for a haole to pronounce! (:
Rooms are clean, service in general is pretty good. Just don't expect Honors' privileges! Beautiful setting and location. But after this, I think we're switching to Marriott!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, is the ultimate destination for a fabulous Hawaii vacation, perfect for families, spa goers, honeymooners, golfers and active vacationers. Situated on 40 acres of lush, tropical Hawaiian gardens, Grand Wailea opens onto Maui's beautiful Wailea Beach, voted one of the best beaches in America, with elegant and newly-renovated accommodations, indulgent spa treatments, fine dining and thrilling recreational options. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Hilton Hotels Direct, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, Prestigia, Cancelon, Priceline, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Wailea - a Waldorf Astoria Hotel Wailea
- Grand Wailea Maui
- Grand Wailea Resort Maui
- Grand Wailea Hawaii
- Grand Hotel Wailea
- Grand Resort Wailea
- Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort Maui