“Great, and celebs galore”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed August 5, 2004

Strangely crowded for how expensive the place is. Lots of celebrities stay here.

1  Thank jeopardy
Write a ReviewReviews (6,604)

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 3, 2004

This was the Best Hotel Ever. My family and i loved it. The service was fantastic and the actual hotel was breathtaking. It had great resturaunts and out favorite was kincha the japinese resturaunt. My family loved to waterslides and all the pools. The beach was great and we had a very good time. I would go every year if i could. I defenetly recommend it to anyone who whishes to go to hawaii.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 30, 2004

We have had the fortune of being guest of this resort twice. My sister has been five times! If there is anywhere I would go back to it is the Grand Wailea. There is no better...and we have been many places! What a treat and what sadness to leave!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dana Point, California
Reviewed July 29, 2004

We had an excellent time. Our first room was near construction across the street and they moved us immediately to a much nicer location. My kids couldn't get enough of the pools, everyone was nice and friendly and the pool area was kept nice and neat. We got a refrigerator for an extra $25 per stay and loaded up on sodas and snacks to keep the kids happy, and the cost of food down. We were at the Grand Wailea for just 3 days before moving on to a nice hotel in Kaanapali that didn't even come close to the GW. Next time we will stay put at the Grand Wailea.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed July 24, 2004

My family has stayed at the Grand Wailea every year for the past 7 years. We just can't get enough of this hotel! It is perfect for my two daughters(13 and 16) and is ideal for my wife and I as well. Contradictary to what other reviews say, the hotel rooms and service have always been superb. Everyone is very friendly and are happy to help out in any way possible. The pools are spectacular. The water slides keep my kids busy all day, and the adult pool give my wife and I a chance to relax. The food is nothing special, but is acceptable. However, just minutes away is a great shooping center filled with exceptional restaurants( I suggest Longhi's Italian restaurant). The Grand Wailea Resort offers great activities for anyone, and should truly be refered to as a 5 star hotel. It easily beats the Four Seasons!! The expense is definatly worth it!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sanger, CA
Reviewed July 24, 2004

My husband and I were married August 30, 2003 and we flew into Maui on a Sunday evening to our second choice hotel. By the next evening we were unhappy and did not feel that this hotel was accommodating our needs. (There was mold on the walls in the room and they were unwilling to move us to a different room.) Tuesday morning we checked into our first choice hotel, The Grand Wailea, and that was when our honeymoon started. The moment we drove up the driveway and pass the waterfalls it seemed as though our trip had just began. Upon checking-in we expressed our recent negetive experience with the other hotel and the woman at the front desk assured us that our stay would be wonderful. She not only put us at ease but she provided us a positive honeymoon experience. Our suite was beautiful and the grounds were out of this world. After checking-in we went to the connoisseur for new plans for dinners and such and they were very accommodating. (They even scheduled a romantic couples full body massage with Regina and it was a piece of heaven.) Our honeymoon was saved because this hotel knows how to treat their guests. We would definitely return! If we were to renew our vows it would be at The Grand Wailea!!!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 21, 2004

My family and I have returned from the Grand Wailea. I am walking handicapped and it is a very difficult hotel to get around. The grounds are too vast and are not wheelchair friendly. When we booked a ocean view room, we expected an ocean view room. We received a palm tree view room.
Management was not understanding the concept of what an ocean view room was and told us they could assists us in finding a hotel somewhere else.
Imagin that?????
The Hybiscus pool needs repair. Tile is missing the pool pumps were not working correctly.
The new management needs to look at the black mold they have growing in the pool and on the grounds. The new company, KSL Corporation needs to reclassify most of the ocean view rooms.
At best they should be called partial ocean view on some and others garden view.
CAUTION....Do not spend the money for an ocean view room. You must purchase a deluxe ocean view room to see the ocean unobstructed. Do not go if you need a wheelchair, prices of food outrageous. The only thing I can say is that the fun area for the kids is very nice.

10  Thank restauranture
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!