“Overpriced and average at best.”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
pittsburgh,PA
“Overpriced and average at best.”
Reviewed January 26, 2009

We stayed at the Grand Wailea for a conference that was being held here. Fortunately, we received a discounted rate because of the conference. I read some of the reviews before we went and I agree with the majority of them. The resort really charges for every little thing. They charge $25.00 daily as a resort fee. However, if you want to use an umbrella on the beach or sit by a covered area by the the pool you have to rent the umbrella for $35.00/day or pay $50.00 to sit under a covered chair. I would think that should be included as part of the resort fee. We all found this to be incredilbly tacky. In most resorts umbrellas are available on a first come first serve basis. Most of our friends found ourselves sitting on the grassy lawn which had numerous flies but happened to have shade because none of us could stomach the exorbitant umbrella fees. In general, there seemed to be a charge for every little thing and prices were excessive. The service and the people who work here were cordial and friendly but that doesn't compensate for the the excessive prices and poor policies the hotel operates under.

Stayed January 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,290)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Ohio
Reviewed January 25, 2009

My wife and I have been coming back to this hotel for the past 10 years. We love it. You will not find a hotel with more beautiful grounds than the Grand Wailea anywhere on Maui.
The Four Seasons next door is a great hotel also. I see people make comparrisons on this website all the time. Yes... the service is better at the Four Seasons. Will you have problems occasionally at the Grand Wailea..... Yes you might. But you can't take it personal. I know these hotels are expensive, but things will not always go perfectly. The Grand Wailea is a huge hotel. It takes tremendous manpower to run it and I think they do a great job. If there is a problem, go to one of the managers and they will try to make it right.
There are a lot of kids at the Grand Wailea, that is because they have a great pool system. The pools are awesome!! I am in my early 40's and still look forward to coming back so I can enjoy the slides... lazy river etc.
The grounds at the Grand Wailea are breathetaking. You will not be dissapointed.
If you desire impeccable service, stay at the Four Seasons. If you have kids and want a great vacation, stay at the Grand..... whatever you do, just relax and have fun! Don't let a cockroach or something insignificant ruin your vacation. Life is short ...

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank emersm
Maui
Reviewed January 24, 2009

Took our own bags out of the car. No help with directions to the restaurant. Unsanitary spa. Force to look up at large cockroach during treatment, repeatedly requested a robe for my modest guest and repeatedly refused, be fore warned to wear your own bathing suite or be in an area naked with women with them on, told we were in an exclusive area for women then lead into a co-ed patio without warning. Poor service from spa & pool personnel. Pool employee looked into my private purse and asked for a cigarette. Insulted my appearance. Company attempted fraudulent charges on my credit card in the amount of $3333.33. I broke my cell phone when hotel blocked my account to use the phone over declined credit card which was declined by the credit card merchant over suspected fraud. Waken up with loud call from and off-site accounting at 0800 while a “privacy please” was on my door. No toilet paper in the bathroom. Rude management.

I was offered the following apology from the Managing Director, Mr. Matthew Bailey , “while my regaling you explanations for some of the incidents you raised might make me feel better, it will have little if any effect on your last impression of the Grand Wailea.”

There was nothing to regale about the level of poor service we received. The Managing Directors response added insult to injury. My sister and I had to make many arrangements to be there. I had to get child care as I am a single mother of three, for 2 night and three days (34 hours), my sister and I both had to juggle to get time together with our jobs, I paid her flight from LV, lost data on my phone. The gall of such a response. It was more then an issue of money it was an issue of priceless personal time.

The Fours Seasons next door is 10000 times better and the Marriott is way better too. I will NEVER stay at the Grand Wailea, at least under it's present management! A free (2) night offer from management to compensate me is like asking someone to return to a horror show for a second viewing when they bought a ticket to a romance. They really put a great name like Hilton & Waldorf to shame!

Aesthetics are beautiful at the GW but management leads by example which makes the service behind the scenes rude and unprofessional. By no means a representation of Maui or the true Aloha spirit that does occur at other service providers. Free to walk the shops and take pictures of the grounds of the GW but book your stay at a hotel that cares about you, just about any place but the Grand Wailea. I've stayed at Westin, Marriott, Ritz, Four Seasons, Hyatt, Sheraton, Royal Hawaiian, Hana, Kannapali Alii... too many to name on Maui let alone the whole state and they all treated me fantastic, only the 4 Seasons was the very best, giving credit where it is due, with the Sheraton taking a close second! If you want to stay at a great Hilton property in Hawaii, stay at the Hilton Waikaloa, 5 stars, it's on the Big Island, incredibly breath taking, swin with dolphins and will most certainly be a time you will never forget.

• Liked — Our Waiter Peter @ Humu's
  • Disliked — Poor Management
5 Thank Justiceshop
Maui
Reviewed January 23, 2009

Took our own bags out of the car. No help with directions to the restaurant. Unsanitary spa. Force to look up at large cockroach during treatment, repeatedly requested a robe for my modest guest and repeatedly refused, be for warned to wear your own bathing suite or be in an area naked with women with them on, told we were in an exclusive area for women then lead into a co-ed patio. Poor service from spa & pool personnel. Pool employee looked into my private purse and asked for a cigarette. Insulted my appearance. Company attempted fraudulent charges on my credit card in the amount of $3333.33. I broke my cell phone when hotel blocked my account to use the phone over declined credit card which was declined by the credit card merchant over suspected fraud. Waken up with loud call from accounting at 0800 while a “privacy please” was on my door. No toilet paper in the bathroom. Rude management.

I was offered the following apology “while my regaling you explanations for some of the incidents you raised might make me feel better, it will have little if any effect on your last impression of the Grand Wailea.”

The Fours Seasons next door is 100 times better and the Marriott is great. I will NEVER stay at the Grand Wailea again even with a free (2) night offer from management, like asking someone to return to a horror show for a second viewing when they bought a ticket to a romance. They really put a great name like Hilton to shame!

Aesthetics are beautiful but management leads by example which makes the service behind the scenes rude and unprofessional. Free to walk the shops.

• Liked — Our waiter Peter @ Humu's
  • Disliked — The rude service and management
5 Thank Justiceshop
Atlanta
Reviewed January 14, 2009

My family last stayed at the Grand around 4 years ago. We go to locations all around the world, and have always compared our resort stays against the Grand. This year we decided to make the trip back to Hawaii (from Atlanta), specifically to stay at the Grand Wailea. We knew about the pool closing in advance so booked after construction was finished, so the pools were great. The grounds, and the Wailea coast is drop dead beautiful. Unfortunately, the service thru out our stay was lackluster to say the best. The checkin was awful (I have never experienced such terse hotel personnel at checkin), pool service was off/on, when the parking attendant thought I was a local he treated me like trash (although I parked a van there everyday paying my $20/day fee), pool security took our belongings off the chaises while we were swimming with the kids (something about leaving your chaises for 60 minute chaise policy?). It just did not have the same "feeling" regarding the service we experienced 4 years ago. I am not sure if the Hiltons managed this hotel back in 2004, but it speaks volumes when Paris visits she stays at the Four Seasons next door? and swims in the pools at the Grand? If just the service got better (someone needs to be fired)...the facilities in my point of view are still fantastic, and the coast of Wailea cannot be beat. The kids had a great time.

• Liked — The Location!
  • Disliked — Frontdesk/Valet
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank TravelGuruAtlanta
Madison, WI
Reviewed January 13, 2009

This place is stunning, and absolutely massive. The service, however, was consistently poor for a hotel of this supposed quality. A rude waitress who forgot to order one companion's entree, and then delivered it 10 minutes after the others with no apology or comment. At Sunday brunch I was seated in the first seating to a filthy table including a stained, used napkin lying on my place mat. We had to request that the hostess clean it up, and despite the great spread of food, the waitress was pleasant but incompetent (for buffet service no less.) Save your money, stay elsewhere (or at the Four Seasons next door if you want quality service,) and just visit the place, act like you belong there and wander around. It's over the top, but worth seeing.

Stayed January 2009
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 7, 2009

We stayed at the Grand Wailea for three days before Christmas 2008, and really loved our time there. It was one of the best experiences we've had at a hotel.

Now that said, this was the first time we'd ever stayed at an all-inclusive resort, but we've been in a number of nice hotels otherwise - so some of the features (and fees) which were surprises to us might be expected by others.

The pools/slides were teriffic, and fun for both kids and adults in denial that we're adults. Falling squarely in the latter camp, we had a ton of fun, and had no problem sharing the tarzan swing (for example) with kids twenty years younger than us. There is one 18+ pool, didn't spend a ton of time there, but overall the Wailea probably isn't the place for anyone seeking to avoid kids / families on their vacation.

The beach was really nice (even by maui standards), and while technically "public" it is hard to get to unless you're staying at the Wailea, so there was plenty of space.

Dining options within the resort were great, if a bit expensive. Went to the on-property seafood restaurant (humu... not going to try and spell the name) and the sushi buffet at the japanese restaurant (which was something of a deal by maui standards).

View from our room was outstanding, and the room itself was everything you'd expect from a nice hotel.

Given the price we paid, we weren't thrilled to discover the additional $25 / day "resort fee" covering a bunch of "amenities" we didn't use. Other optional add-ons, like valet parking, were more in line with our expectations.

Overall the Wailea was expensive, but a great resort and a lot of fun. We'd absolutely stay here again ... just need to save up first.

• Liked — pools
  • Disliked — costs
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank hartfordwhalers13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!