“A Diamond in the Rough...”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed June 8, 2014

After reading the reviews for this hotel - we pulled the plug and decided to give it a shot. We had been staying in a condo for over a week and ended our time in Maui with a couple of nights here on another part of the island.

First of all - I was concerned about some of the things I had read in the other reviews. We are long time Hilton Honors folks so wasn't sure what to expect but can I just say that this was a very pleasant experience.

From the time we pulled up till the time we departed we were met with very pleasant folks who seem to enjoy what they are doing and where they are working. With the exception of one particular waiter at an on-site restaurant - I was pleased with what we received for our time and effort in staying there.

Yes, this hotel is a bit dated in some ways. And yes, it surely is showing some wear and tear but there is an element of charm about this hotel. It's a shame because if they just put a little bit more money into this particular hotel and perked things up a bit - it would give any of the luxury hotels on the island a run for their money.

Yes, things WERE overpriced but we found a quick drive into Kihei was not too far out of the way. I like spending my money on things that count and we could find a good meal outside of the hotel without any issues.

The rooms were pleasant. Beds were comfortable. There wasn't ANY noise at all - and the view. Wow what a view - to wake up to that each morning was special indeed. The hotel itself did seem a bit crowded at times when you ventured to the pool area but guess that's to be expected for all the rooms this place accommodates.

The bathroom was a bit over the top. It seemed a bit much for the size of the room and honestly I would rather have that extra space in my living area/sleeping area but all in all this was a very pleasant stay.

I would definitely recommend this hotel in the future and wouldn't mind returning...

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank conwaymomma

Reviewed June 7, 2014

It is hard to believe The Grand Wailea is ranked sixth out of seven resorts in Wailea. I visited this property in 2008, and just completed a second five night stay, and it is unbelievable. The rooms have not been remodeled or repainted, but it is hard to beat the absolute perfection this resort brings in appearance, service, and location. If planning on visiting the Grand, do know it would be hard to stay here if you are on a budget. Paying for the room and resort fees is one thing; eating and playing here adds up in a hurry. I will post a photo of a receipt for your reference.

The openness of this property may lesson the formality for some. The rooms are exposed to the outside as there are no interior corridors. I saw staff working hard to sweep leaves every morning only to have new leaves fall again by mid-afternoon. So, to some travelers, the resort may appear less clean, but it is truly beautiful in every way. The grounds, the pools, the beach, are spectacular.

We did utilize the spa and exercise room. The amenities of the spa and service is second to none, and the exercise room, which is open 24 hours, is two stories and in perfect working order. There is also a racquetball court and aerobic classes.

If you are famous, which I am not, know security is working to keep you secure. One morning I was taking photos of the beach with my modest, non-professional, camera. While making small talk with one of the beach workers for the grand, I was learning how much activities cost, etc. As my concluded my pictures and the 2 minute conversation was coming to a close, I asked him, "Have you seen any famous people here?" His responded, "Yes. Many." When I asked who, he said they could not say. I thanked him for the information on prices and concluded my photos moved back to the pools. In the three minutes it took me to get to my next spot, a security woman approached me asking for my name to ensure I was a guest of the resort. After confirming my stay, she say, "We had heard you were asking questions that made us think you were the paparazzi" I said, "Questions?" The only conversation I had was with the guy on the beach. Then I realized the one I asked him if anyone famous stayed here, which she agreed. So, if having friendly conversations with staff, don't ask about anyone famous.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

The Grand offered spacious and well appointed rooms with privacy and spectacular views. Beachfront rentals for Kayaks, snorkeling, and SUP are available. Consider the weekly membership - just over $100 for nearly unlimited use of equipment. Great snorkeling just off the southern end of the beach. Beach is super clean - no debris. Great pool system with options for swimmers of all levels. Beach chairs go fast so make your reservations early. Several on property dining options help to complete the package. On site shopping options were numerous and several were surprisingly affordable. There are plenty of other dining and shopping options on adjacent properties and at the Shops of Wailea. We tried a few and were not disappointed. The grounds and flowers are delightful.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

My new husband and I usually rough it on trips because we're stingy and we generally don't spend much time in the rooms or at the hotel but since this was our honeymoon we decided we should spoil ourselves a bit. To my standards, this place was amazing. Some of the reviews say the room looked old and on need of upgrade.. Maybe I got lucky but our room was pristine. The bathroom is bigger than ours. Feather pillows and down comforter. We got great sleep. We didn't drink or dine at the resort because it was just way over priced. We went to the shopping center which is just a 5 minute walk from the hotel to eat. The complementary bikes came in handy and we used them to get to Kihei for surfing and eating. Over all a lovely place. Some people were saying that staff was rude but fortunately I did not encounter this. I was greeted with a lei and a smile. Our room wasn't ready but they held our bags for us and we enjoyed the pool and the beach as we waited. We had great experience but just due to the sheer cost and expensive dining and drinking we wouldn't stay again.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank paulahill1185
Reviewed June 6, 2014

We traveled to Maui for our first time this Memorial Day weekend 2014. We made the executive decision to stay at the Grand Wailea after hours of looking around online at many different Maui resorts. I'm picky when it comes to vacation and where I stay and I must say, when I pulled up the Grand Wailea, my jaw dropped. What a BEAUTIFUL place. Although the resort IS a bit older as other reviews have stated, they've managed it well and provide 5-star service. Its a fabulous experience. We especially loved the open-air lobby and bar. The pool was perfect, we spent our time around the adult pool (18+) aside from the few runs we took down the slides among the kiddies in the general pool area! Mahalo, Grand Wailea. We loved you and your Hawaiian hospitality.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2014

My husband and I stayed for 7 days/6 nights. The service was amazing, the staff was so helpful and always smiling. They upgraded our room to a suite as well! We love love love the pool!! Waterslides, swim up bar....right on the beach. Would recommend this resort to anyone who was visiting Maui - for pleasure or business!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

This is a beautiful hotel. The pool is amazing with the water slides and water elevator great for families. The beach had amazing view but get there early for a good spot, same for the pool. There is a few places to eat on location but nowhere to have a few drinks & dance, just enjoy. We are in our late 30's & wanted to have a little fun. All the restaurants were closed by 11pm and non had any type of music or live music. I would recommend if u lay low but if you are looking for fun, that is not the hotel.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!