Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Houston, Texas
“Huge”
Reviewed April 12, 2014

This hotel is huge. The hotel is not really modern or anything close to it but it is in a really great location close to many great beaches and places. The pools are great and the hotel beach is very nice too. It is a little over price i think but the service people is great and nice, they will help you with anything you need to have a great time in the island.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,273)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

Visited last year for the 1st visit to Maui. Loved every minute of it. Fantastic beach. Great art and architecture all around the hotel. Wonderful and rapacious rooms . Definitely set bye standard high for our Hawaii visits. Can't wait to go back. Loved the water park and restaurants.

Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Sean L
los angeles, United States
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Overpriced, overcrowded, and in decay. Rooms compare to a Crowne Plaza in Dayton--no offense to the Crowne Plaza, but this is supposed to be a Waldorf. At peak times, room rates are unreasonably high. Pool is super-crowded. Room wings desperately need updating as their flimsy construction is reaching a tipping point. Paint was peeling on the bathroom ceiling.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

I chose this resort from a recommendation of a friend that had stayed here a few times several years ago. Apparently there have been some changes. We called ahead a couple times to make sure we had joining rooms. They assured us it would not be a problem and when arriving it was. We were told the manager was with another guest and had additional unhappy people waiting. After a long trip we took the rooms they had for us. The furniture and rooms are tired and need a remodel. We have stayed a luxury resorts and this was one of worst.The grounds and pool were nice but are showing their age. However you better be waiting at 7:00 a.m. to get an umbrella or chairs at the pool. They need more for the number of guests. The resort meals were very expensive and not very good. There were many excellent restaurants close by for a better option. We will definitely visit Wailea again but not this resort.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank NW14
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Just checked out of this hotel today, my stay was only one night as I just needed a room until my family's house had a room empty. I have stayed in this hotel several times before and have always had pleasant experiences and thought it was a beautiful place. This time however, I thought it was just okay based on my less than 24 hour stay. Let me just preface this with the fact that I checked in at 10pm, left in the morning at 6am to dive, and returned around noon for a late checkout of 2pm(which I really did appreciate them allowing that.) I basically crashed and fell asleep as soon as I got in the room. The bed is very comfortable, bonus points for that. It would be nice if the ceiling fan would be able to go a bit quicker as I sometimes don't enjoy sleeping with the AC on, but no big deal. The problems started in the morning when I went to step in the shower and quickly noticed an old bandaid. Gross. Either the cleaning crew ignored it or didn't even open the shower to clean it after the last people in the room. Next thing I noticed was the door that I had to turn the handle on the inside of the room, to close the door from the outside of the room. Luckily, I did notice the door did not automatically close when I left otherwise my room would be open for anyone if they pleased. Closed door firmly and left. When I came back, the natural light was great in the room minus the fact that it highlighted all the minor imperfections like very dirty walls and chipped paint. I decided to open the deck door, the deck is great by the way, and when I attempted to open the screen the whole thing fell down on top of me. So now MAYBE I could have used the dirty bandaid from the last person that was left in the shower to cover up my new bruise left by the screen! I had an hour left before I had to check out and a repairman came and banged on the door even though I had told them I did not want to be bothered. All things considered, my stay was less than fabulous. And I am still put off by the idea of the old, used bandaid in the shower.... just gross!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Sara D
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Stayed here many times and this past time was the last time. It seems like there has been a management and/or ownership change because the hotel is definitely focused around money and not the same great service we had grown to love. There are about $80/day in additional charges not to mention a mandatory $35/day valet charge. We totally understand the luxury hotel prices and have stayed at luxury hotels all over the world and never received such poor treatment for the dollar.

Do yourself a favor and stay at the four seasons or andaz which both share the same amazing beach but seem to have their act together when it comes to great service.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank difebo
Los ANgeles
Reviewed April 9, 2014

We went for a conference and found the hotel to be very nice. We tend to prefer smaller resorts, and this was a huge one! You had to walk far for everything. Nothing seemed easy. Everything was VERY expensive, so bring your credit card! Of course everything is expensive in Hawaii, which is why we usually go to Mexico.
The pool area was a zoo. Forget trying to get an umbrella unless you pay $250 - $750 for a cabana. The pool service was minimal, and lunch by the pool runs about $60.00 per couple without alcohol. The drinks are $16.00 each. The staff was nice but they didn't go out of their way for you.
The conference area was nicely set up and quite hospitable.
I wouldn't return, but may be nice if you have kids.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!