29 people are viewing this hotel
Travelocity$1,415
Booking.com$1,415
travelup.com$1,510
8,520 results
All reviews water elevator napua tower lazy river rope swing bistro molokini chapel wing hibiscus pool the grand dining room cafe kula four seasons pool area per day adult pool valet parking ocean view resort fee beautiful resort
Selected filters
Reviewed March 18, 2014

The Good:
- room service and maid staff are extremely friendly and helpful.
- beautiful grounds
- beautiful location and views

The Bad:
- valet service for your car is charged $30.00 a day and you have to wait at least 10 minutes each time you get your car, unless you call from your room before you come down.
- rooms are dated, need an upgrade.
- mold was in our bathroom.
- management is extremely rude. We had an issue with charges to our room and when we spoke to the manager he argued with me and told me that if $20.00 a night extra was a problem I shouldn't be staying at the hotel. I couldn't believe it I told him it was the principle and I was still charged.
- my pillow was so thick I had a migraine every morning waking up.
- There is not a lot of food options there is 3 restaurants, room service and food by the pools. They all have pretty close to the same menus and it gets very repetitive.
- one night after getting back to our room there was a giant gecko on the wall above our bed. I called the front desk because I did not want to sleep with that and they said they would send someone. After 45 minutes someone finally arrived, we were exhausted and wanted to go to bed they told us they are harmless and they wouldn't be able to catch it. I told them I know they are most likely harmless but I didn't want it crawling into my bed while sleeping the staff starting talking a different language saying who knows what and laughing and told us we were over reacting.
- birds are constantly trying to eat your food. Our room service was taken upon arrival to our deck space and they would often eat it before us and we wouldn't be able to eat anything. We seen birds going in and out of the kitchen while eating at a restaurant.
- room service took over 40 minutes to get breakfast.

The Spa
My boyfriend and I went to the spa one morning for massages and manicures. The massages were great but at our manicures the esthetician was extremely rude and called me an albino. I am an extremely friendly person and she had something rude to say about anything I said.

Overall verdict
We will not be returning we spent over $5000.00+ on our stay at this hotel and left disappointed and annoyed. I felt taken advantage of and next time we will stay at the four seasons where we will I'm sure be treated much better. We wanted to have a romantic getaway and it was not to be expected in the slightest. The grounds are beautiful but the service is not worth it. Do yourself a favour and stay elsewhere, you will thank yourself later.

Excuse my grammar, I wrote this review quickly,

Room tip: * The ocean view rooms views are beautiful. Worth the upgrade.
Date of stay: February 2014
10  Thank SuriJ
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Very beautiful grounds. One of the very few hotels/resorts that has a beach directly in front. Here is my break down.

Pros:
Beach front.
Sidewalk along the beach that goes south about a mile & north about a mile.
Staff is awesome.
Towels - they smell and feel incredible.
Room size and amenities - fridge, coffee pot, balcony/deck.
Bedding - pillow top feather mattress that lets you sink right in.
Pool system - but again - it costs in a tacked on resort fee of $25/day
Have all the snorkel gear and rental items, but they are pricey - go to nearby general store or ABC store in Stores At Wailea.

Cons:
Must use valet and it costs - to park and to tip
Crappy internet (may not be an issue for you, but I was there for a conference) - Took forever to log in each and EVERY day and reception was poor on my ipad.
Expensive food - at the pool it is sub par to say the least.
Very pricey drinks $15-$22

Overall, it is beautiful - probably one of the most beautiful landscaped resorts on that side of the island. I am not sure that we would stay at this particular spot again, but it was a nice one time experience.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank kbqhills
Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful architecture, great location. High price. For that price the room was not as excellent as expected. Also, TV did not work for two days despite us requesting repairs. However, common areas and pool are great. Not enough beach chairs at times.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Been to Maui 3 times - this was our 2nd time to stay at Grand Wailea. (First time we stayed at the Ritz in Kapalua). This property is so beautiful with something for all ages. Gorgeous beach, several pools, water slides and lazy river, excellent spa, fitness center, shopping, bars, restaurants, nearby golf courses, etc. Even photography buffs will love the endless photo ops all over the resort - both inside and out.

This time (4 nights) we stayed in an ocean view room (9th floor). It is whale season and we could actually see some of them from our balcony when they were jumping or blowing so that was a plus. Also had a good view for the sunsets.

Our disappointment this time was all the mandatory and/or additional fees that were added since last time. We felt nicked-and-dimed in a place that is already pricey. Now valet parking is mandatory (no self-park option anymore) and it was $30/night extra. Plus, we felt obligated to tip each time we got our car out. Mandatory resort fee is $25/day extra. The extra fees and taxes added another $125 to our daily room rate (not including food, drinks, activities, or tips). So just be aware.

Many, many cabanas have been added to the grounds - which I think gives it such a cluttered look compared to last time. These all have daily rental fees as well. There is a new rotating water ball activity and you pay extra to use it. Same for the other water activities. Also, I was charged extra to take a fitness class (zumba)

The pool service was very good - but expensive. We ordered 2 cold sandwiches (came with bagged chips) and one beer. Cost=$50 plus tax and tip.

There is a refrigerator in each room so my "tip" is to go next door to the mall that has the ABC store and stock up on beer, wine, snacks, yogurt, fruit, cereal, etc. We did not think breakfast on the property was worth the wait or the money. We ate breakfast and also had our "happy hour" on our balcony - and ate lunch and dinner at restaurants in the nearby area (not on hotel property).

The Wi-Fi service was not very good. It is "included" in the resort fee but you almost need to upgrade (at a cost) to the higher level to get any use out of it.

The pool staff actively monitors the chairs and umbrellas. There is a "one-hour" hold policy. If you place a towel or items on a chair to save it - but don't come back after an hour - they will move your towel and open the space up for others to use. That's great as you don't have the problem of someone coming down early in the morning to save a chair - and then not using it until late afternoon!

They still give out real flower leis to the females and black nut necklaces to the males upon arrival. (That's always fun.) Service was good and friendly from the valet parkers, maids, and pool staff.

Overall, this is still a beautiful piece of "paradise" - and a top pick of places to stay in Maui. Aloha!

Room tip: If it is whale season and/or you enjoy sunsets from your room balcony - book an ocean view room.
3  Thank texprincess44
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I should say up front that I am a member of the Grand Wailea Resort, so I get a discount when I stay there, and it substantially improves the ROI. I first stayed here in 1996, and then returned in 2012, and have since been back 4 times. The staff is unfailingly pleasant, helpful, and prompt. The bellman will remember you if you return. Great story: upon my first return in 2012, we sat at the lobby bar [beautiful setting], ordered drinks and started chatting with the bartender. It was about 4 in the afternoon, so he wasn't super-busy. After a couple of minutes, he says to me: "So, how long has it been since you were last here.....14-15 years?" Now, like any good psychic parlor trick, there are ways that could have been set up, but in the moment, it did not matter.

A few tips:
1. Rent a cabana, at least for one day. Pricey, but the sense of luxury is delightful.
2. Don't fail to try Amasia. Wonderful food.
3. Make sure to walk along the beachfront. The path can take you for miles along the island
4. You don't need a car to get to/from the GWR, but you will if you want to tour the island. Rental rates at the National desk at the GWR are actually very reasonable.
5. If you want to see the sunrise at Haleakala, plan to leave about 2am to make sure you get there without rushing.
6. This really is a great family hotel. You can let your [hopefully well-behaved] kids loose, and know they are reasonably safe. There is much for the to do, and kid-specific activities like Movie Night. When I first visited with my wife and 9-month-old, we had a great time.
7. Though it's not a quite, secluded romantic getaway, it's also a great place for couples blissfully in love, and for anyone who can let the minor annoyances of a resort roll off their back.
8. If this is your first time in Maui, you really cannot go wrong here.

Pros:
1. Beautiful grounds and buildings;
2. Excellent food at Amasia.
3. Wonderful breakfasts and the setting for breakfast is great.
4. Adult pool a welcome respite from all the kids, but not quite isolated enough. Service at the pool is pretty good.
5. Right next door is the Four Seasons, with a wonderful outdoor bar with live entertainment and excellent restaurants. And other locations are nearby as well. You can walk to a number of great places to eat.
6. Wailea.
7. Mau.
8. Hawaii.

Cons:
1. I am a coffee guy, and there is no nice way to put this, but the coffee at the GWR Officially Sux®. How this can be with so much good [not bland 10% Kon, but really good] coffee in Hawaii, and the resurgent Maui coffee industry, is just beyond me. When I am at the GWR, I simply walk over to the nearby Honolulu Coffee Company every morning. [BTW, I think the best coffee on the island is at the café at the Hanua Kai.]
2. The place is large, and the food apart from Amasia and breakfast is only average.
3. Adult pool regs are not rigorously enforced, and so there is often a smattering of wanna-be-adults. It's Hawaii. Relax.
4. Breakfast is popular. Go early. Sometimes, there are seams in which the line diminishes.
5. A place this large almost always has some renovation or repair, large or small, going on. Usually, it is not intrusive, but there are folks who don't like that.
6. It's a big hotel, and it is never empty. Lots of people here, and that often means wait times, leaving VMs and waiting for call backs, etc. Relax.
7. Standard rooms are not huge, but they are pleasant, and the bathrooms are very nice.

Room tip: I would generally avoid the ground floor unless you have a reason to want that external access, e.g., kids. Higher up, you have stunning moon and sunscapes.
Date of stay: August 2013