“A Great Place for Families & Pretty Good for Couples”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I should say up front that I am a member of the Grand Wailea Resort, so I get a discount when I stay there, and it substantially improves the ROI. I first stayed here in 1996, and then returned in 2012, and have since been back 4 times. The staff is unfailingly pleasant, helpful, and prompt. The bellman will remember you if you return. Great story: upon my first return in 2012, we sat at the lobby bar [beautiful setting], ordered drinks and started chatting with the bartender. It was about 4 in the afternoon, so he wasn't super-busy. After a couple of minutes, he says to me: "So, how long has it been since you were last here.....14-15 years?" Now, like any good psychic parlor trick, there are ways that could have been set up, but in the moment, it did not matter.

A few tips:
1. Rent a cabana, at least for one day. Pricey, but the sense of luxury is delightful.
2. Don't fail to try Amasia. Wonderful food.
3. Make sure to walk along the beachfront. The path can take you for miles along the island
4. You don't need a car to get to/from the GWR, but you will if you want to tour the island. Rental rates at the National desk at the GWR are actually very reasonable.
5. If you want to see the sunrise at Haleakala, plan to leave about 2am to make sure you get there without rushing.
6. This really is a great family hotel. You can let your [hopefully well-behaved] kids loose, and know they are reasonably safe. There is much for the to do, and kid-specific activities like Movie Night. When I first visited with my wife and 9-month-old, we had a great time.
7. Though it's not a quite, secluded romantic getaway, it's also a great place for couples blissfully in love, and for anyone who can let the minor annoyances of a resort roll off their back.
8. If this is your first time in Maui, you really cannot go wrong here.

Pros:
1. Beautiful grounds and buildings;
2. Excellent food at Amasia.
3. Wonderful breakfasts and the setting for breakfast is great.
4. Adult pool a welcome respite from all the kids, but not quite isolated enough. Service at the pool is pretty good.
5. Right next door is the Four Seasons, with a wonderful outdoor bar with live entertainment and excellent restaurants. And other locations are nearby as well. You can walk to a number of great places to eat.
6. Wailea.
7. Mau.
8. Hawaii.

Cons:
1. I am a coffee guy, and there is no nice way to put this, but the coffee at the GWR Officially Sux®. How this can be with so much good [not bland 10% Kon, but really good] coffee in Hawaii, and the resurgent Maui coffee industry, is just beyond me. When I am at the GWR, I simply walk over to the nearby Honolulu Coffee Company every morning. [BTW, I think the best coffee on the island is at the café at the Hanua Kai.]
2. The place is large, and the food apart from Amasia and breakfast is only average.
3. Adult pool regs are not rigorously enforced, and so there is often a smattering of wanna-be-adults. It's Hawaii. Relax.
4. Breakfast is popular. Go early. Sometimes, there are seams in which the line diminishes.
5. A place this large almost always has some renovation or repair, large or small, going on. Usually, it is not intrusive, but there are folks who don't like that.
6. It's a big hotel, and it is never empty. Lots of people here, and that often means wait times, leaving VMs and waiting for call backs, etc. Relax.
7. Standard rooms are not huge, but they are pleasant, and the bathrooms are very nice.

Room Tip: I would generally avoid the ground floor unless you have a reason to want that external access, e.g...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Greg H

Reviewed March 15, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for the first few nights of my vacation and it was awesome! Service was great, staff were nice and the hotel is beautful. Highly recomend for families. Also lots of shops and restaurants to chose from and the waterslides and swim up bar were nice; will never get bored at this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Came to this hotel for a business conference, having never been to Maui. It is a large luxurious hotel with incredible grounds and pools. No doubt, one of the nicest hotels in Maui. The service was outstanding. The view of the ocean from our room was great. If I were to return to Maui with my family for vacation, I would probably not be able to afford the Grand Wailea and might opt for a venue with less people. But, the Grand Wailea should not disappoint you.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 13, 2014

My wife and I stayed her in February of 2014 and we had a blast. However, I should provide a short disclaimer....our room was completely paid for by our group for the conference that we were there for.

Short, sweet, and to the point:

Rooms - beautiful. Our room was on the upper portion near the parking lot facing the mountains (North), but we still had a slight view of the Ocean. No big deal, it was FREE!!! The bathroom was awesome, porch was great, bed's comfortable. The only downside was the internet connection was aweful and you only got 1MB/s (2 if you paid extra). We did get the chance to see a large family suite facing the Ocean; pretty awesome. However, I'd recommend staying in the lower section of the hotel. It was a pretty long walk for us to the pool and beach. No big deal though (honestly).

Service - great! Staff was very helpful and cheerful. A pleasure to talk to. Only a couple of sticking points: 1.) when we arrived they only had a double (apparently when our reservation was made it didn't specify a king). This happens, and the hotel was probably at 90%. However, they said there wasn't another king available unless we wanted an upgraded room that cost $1,000/night (no thanks!). 2.) They promote a free diving course that is held each day for hotel guests. My wife and I our certified divers, but she wanted to take advantage of the free course as a refresher. They didn't ask, but we told them we were certified and then they said we'd have to pay $35 for something that ALL other guests got for free. I get it...they want to get people in the free course to try to "sell" them on getting certified (where they'll make money), but still, this just didn't seem fair.

Beach - Awesome! Not crowded at all, very private. PLUS, you have two reefs (rock outcroppings) that form the boundary of the hotel's portion of the beach. These are great for snorkelling. Tons of sea life, including turtles! Awesome...don't waste your money scuba diving, you'll see as much sea life snorkeling here.

Pools - even more awesome. Not too crowded, never fought for a chair. Servers are around regularly. We didn't have our daughter with us, but we still stuck by the bigger pool in lieu of the adult pool. The adult pool just seemed boring, but I guess if you're looking for peace and quiet, that's where you wanna be. The main pool has a lazy river with a bunch of connecting slides! Very fun...not too crowded with kids. There's two speed slides and a water elevator too. Very cool. You can also check out the grotto bar; tell Richard I said hi! He's awesome! Good music, good company, waterfalls, booze! Awesome! They also have a neat kiddie pool (I wished we had our daughter with us, she would've loved it). It's for babies and is completely roped off. What's neat is that they have a sand beach that goes right into the pool, so you can pick how shallow or deep you want your little one. It's a 0-entry pool.

Food and Restaurants - overpriced. $15 for hot dog, $15 for most drinks. Most of the bartenders free poured so you were making out ok on the drinks. And ALL of the food, despite the cost, was good. Even the regular hot dog was out of this world! Still hard to find a quick reasonable snack tough.

Some tips...there is a little mall right next door (about a 2 minute walk). They have a couple of reasonable restaurants there, plus stores where you can stock up on cheap snacks and booze. That's the way to go (unless you're rich!).

Overall, we'd love it here and we'd go back in a heartbeat (and as soon as we win the mega millions!)

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

It's a huge resort! Very nice landscapes and the building resembles "W" for Wailea!
They also have their own chapel and it's beautiful. The rooms are spacious and with balcony overlooking the sea. My room was overlooking the chapel and the sea! Nice...
Maui is a beautiful island to visit... and if you're staying in Grand Wailea... what can I say... just "Superb"!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2014

The resort was large but still easy to navigate around. Our room while perhaps a bit in need of a refresh was still lovely! I have not one complaint about the room, great bed and soft sheets. The bathroom was very clean and I really enjoyed getting ready in it. 1= the room, beautiful and c'mon when you get to wake up in paradise how can you have a complaint! 2= fitness center, awesome! Plenty of machines and all of them were in tip top shape. The spa, which I visited for a little treat was also amazing, great services and first class products. 3= the toiletries, they were the Grand Wailea brand so not sure what they really are but they were fabulous. Just smelling them makes you know you are in Hawaii. They smelled of pineapples and other yummy scents. The pool are was large and there were plenty of seats and staff to provide whatever you need. The swim up bar in a little grotto area was also really cool. The beach was beautiful and well maintained.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 12, 2014

We live in Maui so we enjoyed having a staycation and our weekend get-away with our family. My husband and I work so much we rarely get to take in the beautiful island that we live on. Staying at the Grans gave us the opportunity to enjoy our island home in luxury. Just wish we could do it more often.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!