“Tropical Oasis”

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Norwalk, Connecticut
“Tropical Oasis”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

After reading numerous iffy reviews of the hotel, I was a little nervous about staying here during a recent conference. If this is you, not to worry! This hotel is beautiful!
My husband and I stayed 7 nights, and had the "opportunity" to see two different rooms within the hotel (A slight glitch in our reservation for our first night put us in the Napua Tower.) Agreed, these are the nicer rooms, but our subsequent stay in the Molokini wing was still very nice. Are there differences? Yes. The soaps, etc. are the same product, but the packaging is nicer and larger in the Napua room. The bathrooms were essentially the same, but the tile was nicer in the Napua room. Of course, the view was better in Napua, but we still had a slice of ocean view in Molokini. And, we then had a chance to see the sunrise over Haleakala. Other than that, they are very much the same.
The best thing about the rooms? The refrigerator! As I will discuss next, the food at this resort is totally not memorable.
You will love the open-air design of this hotel. So breezy, so tropical. It feels as if you are outside all the time.
Most of the pools are connected via short slides, which makes it fun for people of all ages. Really clean.
The grounds are stunning! Be sure to avail yourself of the gardens tour, Thursdays at 10am with the head landscaper, Jim. It's free!
Drinks:
Not cheap! We bought one of the "supersize" drink holders--a pineapple or a tiki-- which initially costs $22, as opposed to the regular-sized $15 ones. It sort of makes financial sense to do it if you plan to have more of their drinks, as each refill will then "only" cost $15. But, we watched them make a regular one and a tiki one, and the same amount of alcohol went into both, just more mixer and ice in the tiki. Still think it was a good idea to get one. You kind of want a tropical drink poolside now and again.
**We bought liquor at the ABC store in the shops at Wailea nearby and sometimes mixed our own drink in the room and brought it to the pool/beach (FYI: alcohol is prohibited on the beach).
Food:
We arrived late Saturday, and the only available food option was Amasia. I say skip it. Overhyped and overpriced. I do not remember anything we had, and the little we did order was ridiculously expensive.
We had appetizers at Bistro Molokini--also unremarkable. We sat at the bar, and the bartender had zero personality. He was not rude, but certainly not friendly, all business. Not a tiny bit of repartee.
Luau:
** Best tip I read from another poster here: BUY YOUR TICKET THROUGH COSTCO.COM. Much cheaper. Half-price of what our conference was charging, and also less than what the hotel charges. You'll be glad you did because, although going to a luau is, in my opinion, a must-do on Maui, the food was mediocre. The performance was good. Not out-of-this-world good, just good. The fire knife dance was the best part. (They setup the luaus in two separate locations on different nights. I am not aware of the reasoning behind why/when one spot is used or the other. But, if it is near the wedding chapel, and you only want to see the show, you can easily sit on the grass outside the ring of tables and watch. The other location is a bit more protected from view of onlookers. Had I known this, I would have done it. But, there is no way, that I know of, to know in advance where the luau will be.)
Breakfast:
Only ate once on property: croissant bacon, egg, and cheese sandwiches from the market on site, Cafe Kula. $12.50 each!
**So, breakfast became granola from ABC stores and almond milk from our fridge.
Snorkeling:
Water was not warm (70-something in February), and not as crystal clear as I had hoped, so snorkeling just off the Wailea's beach was only so-so for us. Others may disagree, but this was our experience.
Spa:
Spaaaaaaaah! Just do it. Do the terme hydrotherapy circuit and showers. Nice!
**Look for the Maui magazine in your room. There's a full-page ad for the spa with a package deal. I am sure it changes from time to time, but the deal when we were there was terme and massage for two, including lunch at Bistro Molokini, $325. I did the Hele package(advertised on the back of my luau brochure, $135 for the terme and a 50 minute massage, no lunch. My husband then went, so we spent $270 without the lunch).
There are separate areas for men and for women. Swimsuits are optional in the baths, FYI. I did see one woman sans suit, and at the time I didn't know there were separate areas, so I thought she was taking quite the chance that only women would be there!
Off-property:
*Japengo at the Hyatt in Kaanapali was fantastic! Beautiful setting, overlooking the ocean. Best food we had all week. Great sushi! Go!
*Ruth's Chris Steakhouse is nearby at The Shops at Wailea. We are big fans and have been to many locations of theirs. Always good.
*Took a whole island helicopter tour through Blue Hawaiian Helicopters--do it! Best part of our trip.
*Take a drive out of the property to the right to see the lava fields. Very cool! Looks like the moon.
Overall, lovely hotel. Needs a little updating, but it is much nicer than others have posted about. Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank 180JG180

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,307)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Fargo N.D., United States
Reviewed February 24, 2014

In spite what you might have read on the reviews of this property, Linda & I found this property to be absolutly outstanding. The service from check-in to check-out could not have been any better in our estiminations.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

1 Thank Terry S
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Absolutely spectacular facility. There is something for everyone. What really occurred to me was how happy everyone was, smiling, helpful and genuinely happy to do anything to make our visit an event to be remembered. The Napua Tower is really worth the extra expense with breakfast in the AM and cocktails in the evening and your bed turned down with a special note wishing you sweet dreams, add whale watching from your balcony, it's a little piece of paradise! Fabulous shopping a short walk away(make sure you stop at Malibu T-Shirts for some great vintage shirts and stop at "Cheeseburger in Paradise" for a great cheeseburger(they make a great Bloody Mary too!) it's the perfect afternoon!

Room Tip: Anything 6th floor & above will give you a great view of the bay for whale watching and a view t...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Anne M
Northeast
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay here! Wailea beach is one of the most beautiful beaches and the Grand Wailea gave us great access to it. The grounds are expansive, you will need a map! The pool system is great, providing a lot of variety. The on site restaurants were delicious and the spa was truly outstanding!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed February 23, 2014

After reading reviews here, I was a bit concerned that I made the wrong choice - rated 5 of 6? Greedy staff?? Dated rooms??? Well, our stay was outstanding! From the moment we drove up, the valet got our name and began the check-in process, unbeknownst to us! Steve escorted us to the greeting area, we were welcomed, given leis, and escorted up to the 8th floor Napua check in - no lines, no luggage, no waiting. They had everything ready, handed us our keys and escorted us to the room - they contacted bell services, and our luggage was brought up immediately!

(so far, no palms outstretched for tips)

The room itself (King Room in Napua Tower - chosen for central location) was pleasantly appointed, larger than it looked on the website, with a delightful view to the north, and an amazing bathroom!

Humpback whale watching from our lanai was quite a highlight!

Service thoughout the hotel was fantastic - the housekeeping/turn down staff did an immaculate job to keep our room clean and pleasant, a bottle of champagne the first nite, a little note with a flower on the pillow each subsequent nite.
Always an aloha from the staff - all levels of service.

6 nights later, still no complaints - the staff throughout the resort was amazing - professional and friendly, from the Botero Bar (a special hi to Mary and the cats), to the Bistro Molokini, to the team in the Napua Tower breakfast/happy hour area (btw, you get quite a nice selection at breakfast), the pool staff, the awesome team at Spa Grande, and the great guys at Humuhumunukunukupua'a...

One of the nicest amenities (not advertised) - the 2 bottles of cold water placed in our car each time we took it out of valet. That was truly a 5 star touch!
The only tacky amenity was advertising the 2 complimentary bottles of water in the room -- I just assumed per night - that was for the week!

So we didn't get spritzed with Evian at the pool, but that's really OK.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank J_Fromage
Massachusetts
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I am happy to know after reading some of the latest reviews, that I am not alone in my opinion of this ripoff of a resort @ $500/night. For several reasons, I am unable to check out.

The carpet is filthy and stained. The walls and trim are dirty, scratched and gouged. Someone left really slimy, greasy prints on the closet door, the mirrors were clearly not cleaned, the dust ruffle on the bed is dirty and quite wrinkled! The 'lounge' chair is so dirty and stained that I wouldn't think of putting anything on it, never mind sit on it. Fortunately, you only use the room to shower, change and sleep. The Grand Wailea, by far, rates as the #1 worst condition resort ever visited.

I did complain to the front desk and the only response was "I will pass it on to management and send housekeeping back." It was clear they truly didn't care. Housekeeping cannot refurbish a tired and dirty room in a few minutes. From previous reviews, I see the management is already aware of the situation. FYI Management, I don't need another 'canned' response. I would like about $400/night off my bill when checking out.

So far, I have only had lunch at the restaurant. It was expensive and on par with airport dining. I had a bison burger that was more than well done and bit into something that could have broken a tooth.

I would NEVER recommend this resort to anyone! Shame on Waldorf Astoria!!

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
13 Thank plannedit
Taichung, Taiwan
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Classic chapel, Fernando Botero sculpture displays, awesome location at Wailea, extrodinary water activities. Lots of fun going on in this huge hotel. Too expensive in food market. Spent $2.50 for one single banana.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
#2 of 8 in Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!