“The Grand Wilted Lei”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Sacramento, California
“The Grand Wilted Lei”
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

Sadly this once grand property needs help. Yes the room was clean, yet the chest-of-drawers and other room furnishings were scuffed and gouged severely needing help. It is a roll of the dice to see who will show up when staff is needed. Our first night in-room dining was superb, Ann made us feel so very comfortable and her attention to detail was exquisite. Sadly, this level of service was never repeated during the next five days.... restaurant service was spectacularly poor. We tried each restaurant venue only to be greatly disappointed by wait sfaff, food presentation and food quality. For us, poolside food service was the least objectionable. The problem, wait staff were inattentive and service slow. More problematic was the crowded chaise situation. Even cruise ships have more space for people. Anyone having more than a swim suit was challenged to navigate the poolside chaise labyrinth. Want some shade? FOR GET IT. You have the opportunity to pay $300 daily for a cabanas, or $75 per day for a claim shell with a hedge view... only a few places where you could actually use an umbrella. The room rate and food are priced at a premium level... Sadly many other island properties deliver excellence at similar price point.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
8 Thank Phil B
GWExecutiveOffice, Manager at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Mahalo for writing a review on your stay with us at Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort. We regret that our service did not meet with your expectations. We strive to offer every guest a genuine Waldorf Astoria luxury experience with the highest level of service standards. We will use your comments to ensure that our processes are in place to achieve that. Warmest aloha, Kevin Peterson, Director of Food and Beverage.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,272)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Granted, it was my first time to Maui, but, the Grand Wailea was an amazing experience. Everything from the moment I got there, to the moment I left was wonderful. REALLY comfortable beds and pillow and my oceanview room on the 6th floor was perfect for seeing pods of whales! I only wish my little boy could have been with me!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

1 Thank SunlimeQueen
Honolulu, United States
Reviewed February 13, 2014

I have lived in Hawaii for over 8 years mostly on Oahu and on Maui. Business had me flying back and forth. I knew it had the Best Location, Best Beach, and Good Shopping. Always considered staying here. Met old friends from mainland at the Hotel and had a great time. Highly Recommend

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

2 Thank Richard G
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Staying here for two nights in February was like being in a little dream world. It is an opulent, beautifully manicured paradise. My two sons, ages 4 and 6, adored the water slides, and the views from the breakfast restaurant terrace and our room terrace and just about everywhere else are stunning. The rooms are super comfortable and their beach crew will set you up with free chairs and umbrellas on the beach.

The pools here really are incredible and if you have kids, they will be in heaven! There are a series of water slides and my boys were old enough to go on all but two of them. I went on the adult water slides as well and had a blast- couldn't believe how fast they are! They have a beautiful swim up bar, waterfalls, and a lazy river. The staff is very welcoming and the leis they give you on arrival are a sweet touch. I'd also recommend the breakfast buffet- great setting and food. Even the valet has a nice touch- two cold bottles of water waiting for you every time you enter your car!

Finally, I definitely recommend the Grand Wailea luau! You can book through Costco for $79 per adult and kids under 5 are free. Compared to the prices at the Old Lahainu Luau, this works out to half the price they charge for a family of four. It's an amazing show- probably the highlight of our trip-and even our little boys were transfixed by it. Don't miss it!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Macau, China
Reviewed February 13, 2014

We went to Maui with high expection on this so-called friendly hotel in Maui and it turned out to be literally a terrible expereince.

We booked for 2 rooms, one in the Tower area and one near the pool. When we arrived, we were not greeted by any welcoming staffs, except the parking services. So three of us, my wife and my 10-year-old girl just walked to the front desk where we were greeted by a standard services and we checked in. The tower room was ok but was quite run-down for the price. The room near the pool was in much worse shape, much like a 2 star hotel with dirt marks and stinky carpet. The light swtiches were falling out from the wall in such a way that one may get electric shock, especially kids, any time. The wifi in the room was literally non-existence, as the speed was in a snail scale. We called the front desk and a woman answered in a not-very-friendly tone, saying "we will send someone to reset the router", and then haung up. My girl loves the Disney channel, so she called the front desk on a speaker and the same woman answered with the same unfriendly tone:' no we dont have Disney channel". My girl said" ok, thank you", and the woman hung up without saying a word. I was next to my girl and I can tell she was kind of embarrassed by the impolite response of the woman. Anyway, In general, the rooms were in bad shape but it wasnt the bad expereince.

So I checked with the front desk staffs to see if there is a better room in the tower area. There was a male staff and he tried to checked to see if there was any other rooms that we can move to and said the hotel was "fully booked". Ok, I took his words and went on and stayed in the rooms with the snailed wifi and stinky carpet. About an hour later, my wife tried again and walked to the front desk persoanlly, requesting for another room in the tower area and emphazied that we were willing to pay more with a better room and NOT asking for an upgrade without paying. The guy told my wife that they were "fully-booked" because of several conventions happening. So agin we took his words and tried to suffer through our 3 nights there. About 1 hour later, I couldnt stand my room and again I walked up to the front desk and asked if there was any chance for another room and complaining about the room and wifi at the same time. I was talking with a guy but there was a woman, apparently one of the front desk staffs, standing next to him and heard my complains. She responded when she heard about the Wifi and said again in an very unfriendly tone, " I HAVE SEND SOMEONE TO RESET THE WIFI". Oh, I realized that the the same woman who answered the calls from me and my daughter about the Disney channel and I noted on her name tag as "Kelly". I was beginning to get irritaed by her tone and unfriendly manner but I tried my best to ask again if there is any better room but that woman told me righ away without even checking in the computer, "we are fully booked!" So I raised my voice a bit and asked how about rooms with other categories. She again answered righ away with out trying to check any thing and looked at me as if we were playing games and said: "All the rooms were booked in our hotel". I then got very upset but we had to take her words, as we didnt know the truth. I couldnt do much at that time but to compalin that we were greeted by the welcoming staffs and asked why did other people get their "lei" but not us. The guy immediately went to get some lei and gave it to my daughter and wife, while Kelly just kept her head down. SO we left the front desk and tried to convince ourselves we had to live with this horrible hotel for 3 more nights.

We spent the night without much happiness, not to mention about the bad experience with the front staff Kelly, the stinky carpet, the falling light switches. When I wokeup the next morning, something came to my mind: "Why dont I look up the internet to check if there is any room availablity just to confirm". And so I did and lo and behold, there were many rooms with all categories available for the 3 nights we planned to stayed there. I then realized the front desk might be just unwilling to do their job to help us to change rooms and our calls on the wifi and Disney channel somehow got Kelly upset! I called up the front desk and told a guy that we wanted to check out righaway and told him what had happened to us. The guy, from the Phillipines, seemed to understand our situation and request that I talked to a manager. I agreed to do so.
After about 10 mins, the manager, Allen, called and asked me what had happened to drive us check out early. I told him what had happened about being not welcomed properly, being trested quite rudely by Kelly, and most of all about the claimes that there were no other rooms available. The manager wasnt that friendly either but did apolozied for being not properly greeted and offered me 2 rooms at the Tower, if we satyed. I told him it was too late and asked didnt his staffs offer me that the night before, despite our genuine requests for anohter room at the Tower and that the internet showed many rooms were indeed available. He didnt say anything. So I told my wife and daughter that we made reservations at another nearly 6 star hotel and our best experience with this hotel was when we checked out, walked to our car, and left the door...

The only reason I gave 2 star to this hotel was the freindly staff at the concierge. So long Grand Wailea at Maui.

Room Tip: Tower rooms
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
8 Thank Yippylee
Mahalo for taking the time to review your stay with us at Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort. We strive to offer every guest a genuine Waldorf Astoria luxury experience, and we will use your comments to ensure that our processes are in place to achieve that. I sincerely appreciate your feedback and ask that you call me personally to speak in more detail at 808 874 2426. I hope to impress upon you our sincerest care for your comfort. Warmest aloha, Kai Pelayo, Director of Operations.
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We were fortunate enough to stay at the Grand Wailea resort in the Napua towers.
The hotel was beautiful beyond words, the pools were great, the slide was very fun.
took the free SCUBA class and then signed up for the ocean dive - very worthwhile and fun.
Took a Kayak out which was great, rented a boogey board and had fun.
Also took an outrigger canoe out which was really cool - Kevin was an incredible guide.
But the real high point about staying in the Napua tower - concierge floor room is a wonderful breakfast buffet. Also included is a nightly cocktail and appetizers. Zenith was the bartender and she was amazing, very personable and made an incredible Mai Tai. Also the appetizers were great!

Room Tip: Go for the Napua Tower - concierge floor - well worth it
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank RNA1958
Mooresville, North Carolina
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Great location & beautiful views from this property. For the price point, the hotel could use a few updates. Cleanliness was top notch & the service was also excellent. Make sure you find out about all of the extra costs at check in. We weren't informed about the $35/day Valet fee at check-in so it was a surprise on our final bill!

Room Tip: If you have later travel plans and feel inconvenienced by the checkout time, make sure to ask the fr...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Amy T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!