“Gorgeous grounds and pool, but a little slippery.”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We have 2 toddlers so from that perspective the use of old glossy tile everywhere is very slippery. It rained one morning and it was very slippery everywhere. I think even a senior would be in trouble. Even the flagstone around the pool is not truly anti slip as you find in many newer resorts.
That being said, this resort is worth a visit for the pools and grounds alone. Access to a waterpark like that would cost a family $100/day. It's truly spectacular and you can't appreciate it until your are in it. The property is a classic, and it has been meticulously maintained. It's like a palace, and it is beautiful. The rooms are nice, though our carpet showed too much wear. Every other detail was perfect and clean, beds are amazing!
Hilton honours it's members very well here, the service in the regard was spectacular.
The valet took almost a painful 25 minutes to get our car, they really need to fix this as valet is mandatory and $30 per day. Very frustrating and totally unacceptable.
The gift shop here is nice, but I was frustrated that they would sell cheap no name diapers for an inflated name brand price. I'm at a Waldorf, sell me the name brand goods! And the cafeteria is severely overpriced for the quality of food. Again, if you are charging 6.50 for a slice of pizza, make it good! The food wasn't even fresh. Unacceptable. Annoyed with those little details. We stayed one night and had two fun filled days in their amazing waterpark. Well worth it and glad we stayed.
Overall, go there!

Room Tip: Ocean view in Hawaii often means partial ocean view, but it is still spectacular! We were in room 30...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank lovehvar
There are newer reviews for Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Reviewed December 3, 2013

First and foremost, do not head to Maui, Hawaii and stay at the Grand Wailea, if you are looking for a bargain. My wife and I were here for a wedding in November 2013 and the hotel is beautiful. The beach, pool, bars are all immaculate. The entire staff is friendly and cordial. We had a standard room facing the garden on the main floor and it was breathtaking. The patio was spaicous and the bed was soft. It was very difficult to get out of bed in the morning. The food is delicious but pricey. I would certainly recommend the hotel for all of these reasons. BUT THE MAIN REASON I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND THE HOTEL IS THAT I LEFT A VERY NICE WATCH AND BRACELET and after getting back to Miami my wife called the hotel. The hotel security asked a couple of questions, confirming our identity and the jewelry description. Security confirmed they had the items. The security officer then shipped it back to me via FedEx. Yes, there is no self parking, yes, food and drinks are pricey, but mother always told me that you get what you pay for. The Grand Wailea is a beautiful resort and I am truly grateful and blessed that our friends decided to get married in Maui. I would certainly recommend the Grand Wailea!

Room Tip: Make sure you eat at Mama's Restaurant. Make sure someone in your group orders the Short RIbs!!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We had a fabulous time at the Grand Wailea, though it was very pricey. Their staff were all extremely friendly and helpful. Our boys (ages 7 & 11) loved the pool and the waterslides. Our entire family loved the ocean activities offered right on site. We took stand-up paddleboarding lessons and took a kayaking/snorkeling adventure...without ever having to leave the resort! It is hard to not have a great time here.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I was a big fan of this hotel last year, but had a much different experience this time. Dirty rooms, stained pillows...this is an unmaintained property. I have no plans to ever return here. You can do much better in Maui.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rohit W
GWExecutiveOffice, Manager at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Mahalo for taking the time to review your stay with us at Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort. We strive to offer every guest a genuine Waldorf Astoria luxury experience, and we will use your comments to ensure that our processes are in place to achieve that. I sincerely appreciate your feedback and ask that you call me personally to speak in more detail at 808847 2426. I hope to impress upon you our sincerest care for your comfort. Warmest aloha, Kai Pelayo, Director of Operations.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

First Impressions Stay away visit the grounds, butt stay somewhere else . Oh boy great the wallet out . So we get their to find out there is no self parking . There was but 6 months ago we were nerver told by the hotel staff during our reservation. Bummer The extra time waiting for your car and tip paper not cool . Check was ok but came to find out they gave us a room with a double bed requested a king and were told it was a king so room change. New keys did not work waited for sec to drop new ones. No a good start . they are very set in their own world and not customer focused at all . sec room the internet was hard to get working had to call support in india. was not helpful . Getting to our rooms was a painful process lots of long hallways they seemed endless at times. The wind up is, this hotel needs a staff change and to get over itself.

Room Tip: Go to the higher floors the lower floor just Suck !
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fun2011

Mahalo for sharing your comments on your personal experience at Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort. As a luxury resort, we strive to provide quality and varied amenities and experiences for our guests. It is just as important that we provide value and that we deliver at a level of what is expected of our guests. With many options in the resort, we are delighted that you have chosen to experience our activities, restaurants or shops. Please know that your concerns are heard, and feel free to call me personally to speak in more detail at 808 847 2426. Warmest aloha, Kai Pelayo, Director of Operations.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel that has it together with all the right ingredients of a perfect paradise setting, awesome pools, restaurants, and wonderful friendly staff in a super clean environment. Add the perfect weather and this was paradise. Had a tough time leaving this... I would highly reccomend this Hotel for a couple in love, a family needing bonding or the business traveller. It is a hotel that will pamper all of your senses. The pools are beautiful and well located, the restaurants offer you not only great food and great views, I must say the service was 2nd to none. This was our anniversary and it sure made for a wonderful me memory. Maui is spectacular, and this hotel offer you the best of the best. I cant imagine a better word to describe this other than paradise.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2013

For my first trip to Maui a friend and I stayed at this resort. The property is absolutely beautiful and the room was very spacious. There are plenty of bars and one of them is a swim up bar. The pools are great one being the adult pool. The Bistro Molokini ended up being my go to spot on the resort for food. If you purchase a souvenir cup you get almost double the drink than you do if you order a regular drink for the same price so if u don't mind drinking out of a plastic pineapple or tiki guy this is definitely the way to go. If you are there without kids the adult pool is great and is warmer than the other pools and there was seating available anytime I wanted. You have to go stand in line to get an arm band for the pool and it usually died down around 2pm. Beach chairs require your name to be put on a waiting list and if you are not there around 730 in the am prepare to wait. I was alone most of the time so I was able to be squeezed in with almost no problem but I heard larger groups were having a hard time and heard a lot of frustrated people. I can understand why when the rate of this place is so high. The gift shops were reasonably priced and there were people near the pools selling custom jewelry and doing tattoos and one stand had wraps for the beach. Restaurants were good and a bit pricey as should be expected at a resort. The breakfast buffet was wonderful and had everything you could want. The staff in the dining area was wonderful. Now for the Valet. From my experience the morning crew were rude and unprofessional. I actually dreaded having to face them as one of the crew was so nasty to us. One time the bell desk brought the wrong clubs and had them loaded into the car. Luckily I checked them as the bell captian rolled his eyes and went to get the right clubs. Took about 30 minutes to get the car and clubs straightened out and we just made it for our tee time. The spa was nice and you can visit the sauna and all the salt baths with any service like a massage or facial or around $50 for 2 hours access without a service. I loved that part of the stay! Room service was great and the room was wonderful. The concierge did a great job of planning out our excursions for the day and I loved their recommendations. We the majority of our stay with Hilton Honors points and we had some really great coupons for food drinks and 20% off at the spa. It is a great place for adults and for people traveling with kids as the pools were always full of kids of all ages who looked like they were having a blast on the many slides and lazy river. I would go back if I wanted to splurge.

Room Tip: We had the deluxe garden room 7012 and the bathroom was huge. There were two shower heads on two sid...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Four Seasons
Four Seasons
#2 of 8 in Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!