“Like everything, except breakfast buffet...”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We are from Austin, Texas. It is our 6th time on Maui. We always stay n Wailea, but it is our first time in Grand Wailea. We liked everything except breakfast buffet. The selection is poor given the statue of the hotel etc. Also, every time Bell Man passes with the language cart it makes such a noise it almost seems like it is in your room. We had our 3 year old waking up from this noise several time around 6 or 7 am:(

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 5, 2013

My family of 4 stayed here for 2 nights while visiting Maui. The resort is simply gorgeous & elegant. The grounds are impeccable. You have to see it to appreciate it. It took us a full day to figure out how to get around the resort & back to our room from the pool. Very large, sprawled out resort with beautiful landscaping. At night, the tiki torches around the property are aglow & it was so beautiful to walk around at night. The chapel was quaint & the fountains with the palm trees in the backdrop was gorgeous. Flowering trees & plants are everywhere.

Our room was on the first floor near the spa. It was a gorgeous room, furnishings were beautiful, large bathroom with marble floor. I don't know why some reviews state that the rooms need updating?? We loved our room.

The pool is awesome. Our kids (12 & 10) LOVED the pool and so did we. There were several water slides, waterfalls, rope swing, a lazy river, a pool elevator, etc. We spent hours in the pool. There was a swim-up bar located in a cave in the pool. My husband & I sat in the water and I had a cocktail while my husband watched a game & the kids swam around.

While we loved the pool itself, there was a frustrating problem. The big problem with the pool area is that there are WAY TOO MANY cabanas set aside (for an excessive rental fee) and roped off. On our 2nd morning, I went down to the pool by 9:30 a.m & most of the seats were already taken. No seats at all under an umbrella were left. It was obvious that guests had their belongings placed on the chairs to "hold" their spot. I was able to nab 2seats two rows back from the pool. The 5 chairs in front of us that were being "held" had no one come by until 2:00 pm!! The cabana next to us, which was a cabana with 5 chairs, had no one come until close to 3:00 pm and it was only for 2 adults. There were couples, families with older kids & families with small children & babies walking around aimlessly looking for a place to sit. Meanwhile, 1/3 of the poolside seats are unused cabanas that sit empty all day. A few cabanas had 2 rows of 5 seats and were not rented all day. I truly felt bad for all of these people who could not find a place to sit.

The Grand Wailea seems more interested in making $$$ ($300 to $1000) off the cabanas than providing their guests with ample seating down by the pool. If you & your family want a good (and free) poolside chair, better get up bright & early and grab a spot! As far as the beach, you have to wait in a first come/first served line to get a free beach chair & umbrella. By 10 a.m. on our 1st day, we were several rows back from the beach. If you want a set-up close to the water, again...get up bright & early! Be prepared to spend a good chunk of time by the beach, because if you leave your beach chairs for more than 30 minutes, they give them away to other guests. They enforce this 30-minute rule by the beach, but apparently not by the pool.

We were not impressed with the quality of the food by the pool. We knew it would be expensive, but the quality was not very good. My $18.00 fruit plate had dry banana bread, squishy grapes & warm, half-rotten strawberries. The drinks were good, though. You can buy a novelty souvenir mug & get 1/2 price refills.

All in all, we'd come back again for the pool alone, but we'd make sure to get down by the pool by 8:00 am to get seats. I hope the Grand Wailea management team reads this review & seriously considers not having so many cabanas. Many families cannot afford the $300 cabana price tag. There are not enough "free" seats down by the pool.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank sherinongratis
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I must lead this review off and disclose that I am a Hilton Diamond member and stayed a full week here on points so my review can not comment on the room rates at this hotel.

The hotel is about a 20-30 minute drive from the airport. We rented a car for the week and upon pulling up to the hotel, we were greeted by very excellent porters and valets. These gentlemen were not at all pushy and were most helpful.

Three steps on to the property we were greeted by a wonderful woman who gave us both flower leis. She also took several pictures of us on my phone using the gorgeous grounds as a backdrop.

The lobby area is open and magnificent. Simply a beautiful welcome. The desk staff that checked us in was very efficient, polite and helpful.

We were upgraded to an ocean view room on the 7th floor of the Haleakala wing. This offered a great balcony with specatcular views of the hotel grounds below and the ocean. It was far enough from the pools that we never heard any pool noise at all. The room was large, bathroom was very large with a nice shower, separate soaking tub and separate room for the toilet. Very nicely appointed. Our room had a small coffee pot, no mini-bar which wasn't a huge deal for us.

There was an Adam Sandler movie filmed at this hotel a view years ago that they are most proud of as it plays continuously on a loop on the one of hotel TV channels. I found this funny and enjoyed pieces of the movie throughout our stay.

The pools are the great. The adult pool was quiet and for the most part, kid-free. The kids do have to go through the adult area to get to their pools but that wasn't a huge deal. The kid pool area is amazing, lazy river, kiddie beach area, waterfalls, waterslides, water elevator, rope swing, hidden cave hot tub. Very cool. It was just my wife and I but a few times we had our inner kids come out and played in the kid area. My only complaint about the pool area was that the lounge chairs are literally touching each other, crammed in a tight as they can get them in there. Additionally, there was little monitoring of used towels by the staff so chairs were often at a premium. You shouldn't have to worry about pool chairs at any time during a stay at a $500 a night hotel. There are ample cabanas around the pools which they will rent you but as you'd expect, these were typically empty and just taking up space that could have been used for more loungers. We did not ever go to the beach and use those chairs and umbrellas but I heard similar comments from folks that did. Lastly, you need to get a wristband every day to indicate you're a guest. I wasn't a huge fan of this either but I see why as the beach is public and anyone could sneak into the pools I suppose. Last pool complaint, the towels became hard to come by after 5 when the staff desks closed. They pools were open until 10 but towels were not easily available. Odd.

The grounds of this hotel are immaculate and lush. Great tropical foliage and paths and we spent a good hour just walking around admiring the plants.

We only ate at one of the hotel dining options. Humu. Food was pricey which I expected but the wait to sit was long and our service was slow and the food was average to good at best. I expected a bit better. That said, the atmosphere was good and the sunset views were great. As Waldorf food is very expensive, we shopped off property in Kihei (ten minute drive away) and stocked up on snacks, breakfast food, etc. That helped ease the sticker shock.

As a Hilton Diamond we got a $40 dining certificate, 20% spa certificate and a coupon for two free drinks at Humu (which amounted to about $40).

The spa - and the reason why this place is top notch. The spa was amazing. We got couples massages and the first 90 minutes were spent in separate male/female bathing areas that had wonderful steam rooms, hot tubs, chill tubs, salt and aromas baths, massage showers, etc. I could have made a day in those rooms. The massage staff were great from start to finish and our couples hot lava stone massage was worth every penny. Excellent job.

Reviews call this hotel over the top, stunning, etc. We agreed on all fronts. I saw mixed reviews prior to our stay but we experienced little negatives other than the pool experience noted above. I can't wait for our next stay here.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dwstonesifer
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Currently the area just adjacent to the main pool is under construction, starting at 9am with jack hammers and concrete saws. Trucks moving debris with reverse alarms and idling throughout the day. Don't plan on sleeping in!

Be prepared to eat and drink off resort. Cocktails are $15 at minimum. Rooms are dated, need updating, especially the carpet and tile.

Overall a horrible value for the price of the hotel. That doesn't include the inconvenience of construction.

Staff was friendly however and location is beautiful, grounds are well maintained. Valet is quick, just call ahead.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank jerryhaney
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We have been lucky enough to stay at the Grand Wailea four times. Our first trip was about a year after it opened. Our most recent this past March. The hotel is showing some age, but is still a beautiful resort. Use the spa! It is one of the best! The beach is very nice. It is a smaller beach, but it is nice. If you have a rental car be sure and travel to the other side of the island and eat at Mama's Fish House. It is about a 45 min drive.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank skd22
Reviewed September 5, 2013

The Grand Wailea is a beautiful resort hotel. The grounds are incredible. Beautiful landscaping throughout. The multiple pools that are interconnected with small water slides are unique. The adult pool is very relaxing and a great place for night swim. The staff was incredibly helpful, with the concierge staff going out of their way to find us a good bar nearby with live music. Onsite restaurants offered very good food. The food at all the restaurants is expensive, but during our stay there were some 2 for 1 deals that helped keep the costs down. The beach is one of the nicest I have been on, with fine sand and lots of chairs/umbrellas available. The Grand faces West, so spectacular sunsets every night. The Saturday Luau was very well done as well. I would not hesitate to recommend the Grand Wailea.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
1  Thank Michael H
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This restaurant has the friendliest staff and the best food! Love their Spam Musubi! They also offer locals plate lunches that my whole family loved. We ate all our meals there. The convenience of Café Kula was a plus. Can't wait to come back especially my kids.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Four Seasons
Four Seasons
#2 of 8 in Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!