“Great Place to Stay in Hawaii”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Last time we came to Maui we stayed at the Hyatt in Ka'anapali. This time we chose the Wailea area and were glad we did. Much more peaceful, elegant area. Our room was wonderful 8119. The bathroom was incredible. Service was excellent. The beach and pool were great. Beach umbrellas were included and there was a system that seemed to work better than many other resorts we've been to get one. The food was expensive though. We drove down to a great local place called Kihei Cafe for breakfast every day but the last to save time and money.
Another minus would be the mandatory valet parking. You feel obligated to tip even though you're paying $35 a day to park. They do provide water for the road which we liked as we did a
great deal of hiking as well as biking in Maui. We also spent time in Waikiki and Aulani on Oahu duing this vacation but Grand Wailea , Maui is the only place we will return to. So glad I did not listen to the reviews.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bike2
Write a ReviewReviews (6,613)

Reviewed August 16, 2013

This is our 3rd stay at the Grand Wailea, we couldn't imagine staying anywhere else in Maui... until this trip.
Service was poor, waiters bickering over tabs ambiance of a hotel in financial trouble is the impression I got.
Bathrooms were dirty, rooms in need of new carpeting... they have even removed the mini-bar from rooms...
Needless to say next trip to Maui we will stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Try to get a free upgrade if staying in anything less than an ocean view.
1  Thank Tessa K
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed here for two nights at the end of our week long vaca on the last week of July. Ended up staying one night during the tropical storm Flossie. That was disappointing for us,but the resort had something at least for the kids to do while it rained outside. Must give props to the staff for cleaning up the water as it poured in to keep it clean and safe for guests! There was a movie room and age-appropriate play rooms for kids of all ages. My 9 month old and 3 year old enjoyed their activity rooms. We ended up eating at Amasia. It was great! (but $$$$)

The next day was beautiful with blue skies so we enjoyed the pools and water slides! OMG, they were awesome! Pool side was clean. The water elevator was super cool. My son (actually we all) had a blast on the slides (using a life jacket). Love the idea of the man made baby beach pool. The only bad part of that was that it needed more sand. My 9 month old enjoyed sitting in the shallow water and playing in the sand.

The hotel has a colonial feel to it. The room decor seemed a lil confused while the fixtures were upgraded in the large bathroom, the paint color was yellow :I. We got a complimentary upgrade to a garden view room..much appreciated..we could see the ocean in the distance. the sofa bed was firm enough to sleep on and the bed was super comfy.

We also spent some time at the beach twice. The beach is very nice, beautiful views. The waves were a little strong (perhaps bc of the storm that passed thru?), there was snorkeling right there, but i was too scared to go to close by myself with the water being rough. My husband went and saw some cool fish.

We ate at three different restaurants on site, Amasia, Humuhumu and the cafe. All were good. Cafe had the most reasonable prices. If I stayed longer we would have explored elsewhere.

Overall we had an amazing stay...I am still dreaming about it...so glad I took videos to take me back! Wish we could go back! Other than the price, it's great great great place for kids and families!!! Once you hang out at the pools and beach , you will quickly get over whatever bothers you about the hotel!!!

Room Tip: Our garden view had a partial ocean view (we were on the 2nd floor) in the distance, but a building...
1  Thank MistryTraveller
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The best part of this hotel is the pool for kids. The kids will have a blast. The water slides are great and the kids center is great. It is on a great beach and the hotel is clean, but over priced for the rooms. If you don't have kids spend your money somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
2  Thank Dustin W
Reviewed August 13, 2013

This was our second visit to the Grand Wailea, our first was about 6 years ago when our son was a toddler and our daughter about 5. The toddler was too young to enjoy the pool, but my daughter had a lot of fun. We just loved Wailea beach, and decided to go back for a visit once the kids got older - they are now at an age where they love water slides etc.

We were looking for a little resort style pampering, and selected this over the Fairmont or Four Seasons hoping the kids would have a blast at the pools and that the parents could relax pool and beach side. The year before we stayed at the Marriott next door, which was beautiful and very relaxing... but GW has the mega pools, and we thought the kids would love them.

Our overall experience was a mixed bag.

The pros - this is a vast property in a gorgeous location. It sits smack in the middle of one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. The lobby is stunning, with sweeping views, cool breezes and unique art. The rooms are large, with comfortable bathrooms and daily turndown service. Housekeeping is wonderful and you always return to a beautiful and clean room. On our first trip we were give a room in the Molokini wing which was JUST TOO FAR away from anything, it was exhausting to get around esp with a toddler. This time we asked for a room closer in and were assigned to a deluxe garden view room in the chapel wing. Room was lovely and the view was beautiful (deluxe garden view category), we were pleasantly surprised with the amazing ocean views from the room and lanai. Chapel wing is a little closer in - and in a calm peaceful section of the hotel.

Cons:

However, the place is just way too crowded. Your entry level experience (buy into a basic room) is similar to flying coach on an airline - they will shove too many people into too little space, banish you into some ugly room way at the back of the hotel involving a long, hot hike to the pool or beach. For a Waldorf Astoria experience, you need to upgrade to 'first class' -- fork out some mega $$s for an upgraded room in the Napua wing, and then and spend $400 a day to get a pool side cabana to be able to enjoy the pool area with a chair and some shade.

We drove up to the property after a long flight -- drove up to the $30 per day valet parking and were not even greeted with an aloha or welcome, not directed to the front desk. No aloha leis or welcome drink. Later, my husband tipped the valet guy and only then was handed over a lei (he had to ask for leis for the rest of the family). Not a great first impression. Walk to the lobby area to check in -- wind up standing in line for close to 20 minutes in the heat. Kids had to use the restrooms -- which were clear at the other end of the lobby, past shops and vendors and then down some stairs (this place has the strangest layout and you have to walk to everything!) -- not exactly something you could pop into while waiting in line to check in! Anyway, the check in took a while. However, check in person was friendly and was able to offer us a nice room in the chapel wing which is just beautiful. The room was on the first floor however, so was noisy -- you could always hear people walking to the beach or talking loudly on their cell phones. A lot of foot traffic, so we could not have the windows open or sleep to the sound of the waves (only loud talking).... They were not able to accommodate us on a higher floor despite being long time Hilton Honors members. Oh well.

Went down to the pool, to enjoy our first day - first spend 20 mins in the heat getting our wristbands and towels. The towel area is packed with vendors selling trinkets and tattoos etc. Then realize that there was not a single chair or umbrella by the pool. Mentioned it to the towel guy and he shrugged and pointed to a solitary chair in the hot sun (no shade) 'that might be empty". We decided to go the poolside cafe (volcano bar) so we could set our stuff down and get some food. No one greeted us to led us to a table, we found one which was dirty. The waiter motioned for us to sit down. He removed the dirty plates etc, but did not wipe down the wet and sticky table. Yuck. We ordered from the limited and not very exciting menu (burgers and dogs -- that don't even come with fries, just a little packet of potato chips). I ordered the tacos. This was not a pleasant meal - very crowded, slow service, cramped setting and lots of birds. The food was just awful -- some kind of undercooked skewer of meat on a basic taco shell literally out of the box. No guacamole. Overpriced and bad food. I hate to say it, but the food made me sick and I had to return to the room for the rest of the afternoon. Trudged back to the room, too much noise to take a nap with the windows open.

So that was our first day. First impressions go a long way, and so far I was less than impressed. In the days that followed, our experiences were similarly mixed.

The poolside: Just an awful experience. We loved the pools and system of waterslides and the elevator is super cool. However it is impossible to get a chair by the pool. Impossible unless you are down at 7 am. Not acceptable! Provide more chairs. The premium poolside areas were taken over by giant cabanas that you could rent for $400 per day. I am not a fan of battling for chairs at a resort. I'd much rather be in a place where the resort makes sure that they have enough chairs to accommodate all guests who pay for the privilege to stay here. The pool side area is crammed with vendors and other ways to make a buck off their customers. Why not rearrange the area to have fewer vendors, fewer paid cabanas, and more chairs?

They desperately need to build another pool -- one closer to the rooms. It was torture for me when I had a toddler, no where to sit, and a very very long walk uphill to get to and from the room. This hotel attracts a lot of families but is not able to take take of guests with kids. I felt sorry for some of the moms with little ones -- they had nowhere to relax or enjoy a nice meal close to the pool. This hotel needs one pool where a family can make it's home for a day -- a nice pool with maybe one smaller water slide, a delicious cafe, close to restrooms and an easy walk to your hotel room. There is a lot of space on the property. We wound up walking down to the poolside cafe at the Marriott everyday (soooooo much nicer and more relaxing). Parents were sitting around the pool eating yummy treats like lobster sliders (for less than the horrible Grand Wailea hot dogs!), and the kids were able to jump in and out of the pool. Parents with toddlers: the Marriott is a much better option for you!

Beachside: Same story! It's impossible to get a chair and umbrella. People were so mad. Many people were fuming and complaining about paying a $200 premium for this hotel and not being able to access a chair and umbrella at the beach. The beach chair people were not friendly nor polite to the customers. They added me to a waiting list, said they would call if a chair came available. However, I would not have any time to respond -- so if I didn't pick up the phone when they called, they would give the chair to the next person... huh? Am I supposed to spend all day with my phone in my hand waiting for the call? What if I want to swim in the pool or ocean? why not give me a buzzer instead? Or Page me? Find a better system Grand Wailea! So poorly organized! Again, get rid of the paid cababa chairs on the grassy area fronting the beach, and put down some more chairs and umbrellas so that people can enjoy the beach area and ocean views. The Marriott next door has plenty of ocean front loungers and hammocks to relax and read a book. If you are not going to get a beach chair and umbrella, stay at the Marriott for $250 less per night! On our last trip, we got a gorgeous one bedroom ocean front suite -- literally steps from Wailea beach - for less than a garden view (far away from the beach) at Grand Wailea. Come on Waldorf Astoria, take better care of your guests!

Another problem is that the pool area is dirty and gets littered with trash, straws, plastic cups. It's unpleasant to spend the day by the pool coz some areas around the pool smell awful -- like hot trash.

Anyway, here is how we made the most of our trip:

Woke up early to snag an umbrella and chair at the beach. We had to get there around 7:30 am. This got old after 4 days, so we moved on to a hotel where we could get to the beach at our convenience, and it was soooooo nice to not have to stress out about this. The beach is lovely. We split our time between the ocean and the pool. There was a storm and shark attack at the beach during our stay, so it was nice to have a pool when the beach was closed. Kids got bored of the pool after a while, ocean is so much more fun.

Never ate at the poolside cafe! Ate dinner off resort (many super restaurants in Kihei - Cafe O'Lei, Cafe Cuatro, Sensei Sushi, 5 Palms, Sorrentos on the beach, Pupu Lounge at sunset). Breakfast/ coffee at Kula Cafe. Lunch at Bistro Molokini (near adult pool and very nice), or strolled down to the poolside cafe at the Marriott.

Enjoyed the beach and the beach walk (which also leads to phenomenal beaches and views).

Appreciated the kind bell staff as well as the housekeeping. The cleaning staff takes amazing care of the shared areas. It rained one of the days we were there, and they worked hard to keep the floors clean and dry.

I am not sure I would stay here again.... only if they add a new pool and more chairs around the pool. Currently, it feels overwhelmingly crowded and is always heaving with people.

A hotel that charges close to $500 per night (for their most basic room!) + resort fee (25) + Parking (30) should deliver an outstanding experience. You expect more from the Waldorf Astoria brand. If it was branded as a Hilton and charged Hilton rates in the $250 price range, it would be a different story. Similarly priced resorts in the area (4 Seasons, Fairmont) offer a flawless level of service, and have many processes in place to make you feel pampered and special throughout your stay. Grand Wailea seems to have taken it's service lessons from United Airlines!

Here's what irked me about the place -- you really get the feeling they are out to nickel and dime you. This is in stark contrast to neighboring luxury resorts - The Four Seasons and Fairmont who charge a similar rate will pamper and indulge your every whim - you will be welcomed and fussed over every minute of your stay. They make you feel like an honored visitor while the Grand Wailea makes you feel like you are inconveniencing them with your presence. I hope this grand hotel wakes up and starts taking better care of it's guests.

Room Tip: Chapel Tower is pretty, get a room on a higher floor.
7  Thank Sunnymom2000
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed here the last 4 days of our two week vacation. If you have children you come here for the pools. My family had hours of fun swimming and floating in the water. Chairs are hard to come by. You must get up early to save chairs. The first day we had chairs at the pool. The rows of chairs are very close together. I did not find it relaxing at all. The rest of our stay my husband got up and stood in line to get chairs and umbrella's at the beach. Very nice. They say you can not leave your chairs at the pool longer than an hour, 1/2 hour at the beach, or they will take away your belongings and give your chair to someone else. Not sure if it really happens but I would be quite upset if I went to lunch and my stuff was gone! Made sure someone stayed with the chairs. One thing I was not aware of is that in the afternoon the trade winds and clouds come in. It gets very windy on the beach. Food is very expensive for lunch. I felt the service, (check in, wait staff, wrist band people) was lacking. Hospitality suite is great if you have a late flight.

2  Thank momBoston
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My stay at the Grand Wailea was exceptional. We had the best honeymoon anyone could ask for in Hawaii and the Grand Wailea was icing on the cake. Service, amenities, cleanliness, charm and all smiles every time I turned around! We had the best time and can't believe we have to return to reality. Staying at the Grand Wailea was a true fantasy!

• Stayed: August 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!