Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Residence Inn by Marriott Maui Wailea(Wailea)(Great Value!)
$364
  • Restaurant
$699
$599
  • Pool
Andaz Maui At Wailea Resort(Wailea)
$589
$420
$479
AscendHotels
6,887 results
All reviewswater elevatornapua towerlazy rivergrand wailearope swingchapel winghibiscus poolbistro molokinithe grand dining roomcafe kulaspa grandefour seasonspool areaadult poolvalet parkingper dayocean view
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Good place with beautiful entry. Rooms are in need of upgraded furnishings and quiet. Wish there was an option for self-park. The forced valet service was costly and time consuming. The hotel over all is extremely overpriced. Be prepared to pay handsomely for every little thing!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
Reviewed August 5, 2013

It was 18 years ago when we first visited Maui and walked through the Grand Wailea resort. We were awestruck by its beauty and amazing pools. At that time we could not afford to stay but knew one day we would be back. A few years ago I was planning my 50th birthday and I decided to make a dream come true for me and my family. On April 25, 2013 we arrived at the Grand Wailea. We were there for only 4 nights but whished we could have stayed longer. I have to say that the experience we had was unforgettable.

Before planning our trip I read all the comments on Tripadvisor to better prepare myself of what to expect. There were a number of comments around the “nickel and diming” at the Grand Wailea. I’m not going to lie, it’s pricey to stay at the Grand but it’s no different than any other 5 star resort. I made our reservations directly with the hotel (and not thru a discount broker). They were very courteous and helpful and because of the special occasion they were able to upgrade us to an ocean view, which we appreciated so much!

We stayed in the Chapel wing and it was breathtaking! If you can afford to upgrade to an Ocean View I would highly recommend it. The rooms were spacious, clean and the bed & pillows were so plush and comfy! The bathroom was large and luxurious and was almost as big as the bedroom. There were 4 of us and we had plenty of room.

The highlights of the Grand were their pools and Spa. I like to judge hotels based on their pools, and if you do too you will not be disappointed! There are 9 free form pools connected by lazy rivers, jungle pools, slides, Tarzan pool with rope swing, a first ever water elevator, 6 waterfalls caves, swim up bar and hibiscus (adults only) pool.

I also saw online a lot of people are complaining of how busy the resort was but given the size of the hotel and time of season when you go, it is to be expected. If you are concerned about the pools and resorts been too busy, I would recommend not going during peak season or check and make sure that there are no major events taking place at the same time as your travels. We went in late April (low season) and had no problems getting seats at any of the pools. In fact we kept changing throughout the day. If the pools are busy the other option is to go on the beautiful beach, which is also set up of Grand Wailea chairs and umbrellas.

Another thing I would like to point out is so many people complain of the resort fee of $25. I know I even hate paying it too but this is something you are all aware of before hands so don’t let it ruin your stay. Going there and seeing all be beautiful grounds and the pools I can only imagine the upkeep so I did feel it was justified.

My husband and daughter wanted to give a special thanks to the SCUBA instructors on site, who went out of their way to make sure they could take in the free lesson before it was too late. What we didn’t realize is that you cannot dive 24 hours prior to any flights, so the instructors went out of their way to make sure we had our lessons in time. This experience was one of the highlights and on the next visit will definitely take SCUBA to the next level, and do an Ocean Dive.

While we typically are not Spa people, we pampered ourselves at the Grand’s world-renowned Spa. My husband and I did a couples massage and thought it was amazing and worth every penny. If you go an hour early before your appointment you can enjoy their terme hydrotherapy circuit.

On the down side, we found the breakfast and lunch meals on site overpriced. Due to the length of our stay we didn’t get a chance to eat dinner at any of the restaurants but did hear from others that the food was phenomenal. A great alternative for meals was to take a quick 5-minute walkover to the Wailea Shopping center (next door) and there we had breakfast for $5.99 and dinner for $9.99 ea.

In summary, I would definitely recommend the Grand Wailea. The staff was very accommodating; the resort itself was clean and well kept. The pools were spectacular and the rooms were clean and cozy. On our last day both my husband and I look at each other and said, “We will be back”.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Hulagirl017
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed at the Grand Wailea for just two nights late July. Because of the high price I assumed that the perks would be amazing. Instead I can honestly say that the perks are nonexistent. No over the top comfortable pool chairs. As a matter of fact, we got up early one morning and got pretty nice pool chairs looking over the bottom pool and the beach/ocean. Because of the ridiculous way the cabanas are located (in front of chairs not at back) we realized too late that the cabana in front of us just had to close its back wall to kill our view. And that's exactly what happened at around 9:30am. By then it was too late to find another pool chair as they were all taken. $600 a night and you can't even get a guaranteed pool chair is just plain wrong.

Our room did have a nice deck overlooking the chapel area but the room smelled extremely musty. Guess we should have asked for a new room but we didn't.

The included beach chair and umbrella was a nice touch (notice I didn't say free because trust me, you pay for this). But you have to be in line for this perk by 7am to get one.

The pool is good and unique but not worth the money. Ya the water elevator is a one of a kind but it's really not worth the hype. Line jumping for it is commonplace and hardly anyone controls this. The swim up bar was a nice touch but again, huge drink prices diminished the excitement of it.

The best thing about the Grand Wailea is the beach in front of it. Talcum powder sand as far out as I could walk. One of the nicest beaches I've ever been on. But again, you don't have to stay at this overpriced hotel to enjoy the beach.

When are we, average joe and jane vacationers going to stand up to places like this and say enough is enough? 2 days there and they charged me over $1500. We only ate at the pool bar once and at deli/pizza area once. They were both mediocre at best. But rest assured we were charged like we just ate at a five star restaurant. Make sure you check you bill on check out as mine had two room upgrades added to it. Room upgrades... that's laughable. They did take off those charges though with no argument but c'mon, stop the insanity already. Nothing made this hotel worth what they are charging. There are no added benefits that would make you go "wow, this place is so worth the money".

So lets recap,
Fight for pool/beach chairs,
Even if you do get a nice pool chair, if you are behind a cabana and they decide to close their wall you are screwed,
Musty smelling rooms,
Mediocre food at ridiculously high prices,
High drink prices,
Nice decks,
Top notch beach.
Not worth the money. I guarantee that.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Brad D
GWExec, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

We regret that we were not able to provide you with the quality of service you deserve during your recent stay. We strive for unparalleled service delivery at our hotel, and we are always looking for ways to ensure that each guest experiences the very best we have to offer. We believe that very best service experiences are genuine, anticipatory and personalized and we will continue to work to ensure our guests find that level of service at our hotel. Your feedback will help us to continue to improve our training processes, and we hope you will return to stay with us to experience the results of that work firsthand.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We came here from the Hyatt Regency. The place is beautiful, and we were promptly greeted by a warm staff. As we got to the front desk, however, they informed us that our room was not ready yet. We were told they would call us when it was cleaned (1 pm). After giving them our number, we decided to walk around and get pictures/check out the pool. At 3:15 we decided to go ask about our room since no one else was having a problem. The man at the front desk told us we'd just have to wait until they called. Then he realized our room was ready and started laughing about the mistake instead of apologizing. We have very little time here, and a 2+ hour waste because we were overlooked is extremely frustrating. I must say we were very disappointed with the quality of service we received.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank mistajeffles
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is a gorgeous hotel on Maui with one of the best spas I have ever been to. The staff is very courteous, the grounds are gorgeous and the pools will keep your children busy all day. Our room had a gorgeous ocean view. The beds were wonderful and we slept well after playing all day. The first room we check into had a crack in the TV and they apologized profusely, moving us right away. Humuhumunukunukuapaa is a wonderful restaurant. The food was delicious and our waiter was very nice, especially to our six year old. The only negative to this resort is the wait staff at the main pool. They were slow at best, or never came back. This was not enough to do much damage to our trip though. The hotel is expensive, but in my mind it is well worth the cost.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family