“Will not return!! Not worth the price! Waste of money!!!!”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Seattle, wa
“Will not return!! Not worth the price! Waste of money!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

We reserved a few nights here at the end of a 11 day trip to Maui to wrap our trip up in "luxury" as this used to be the nicest hotel on the island. I must admit it is a beautiful resort, however starting to look worn down and is not being kept up well. We were immediately disappointed! They did not have our reserved room with 2 bed and were told our 18 yr old daughter would have to sleep on the couch! Construction in the lobby was disappointing, however chin up we went to the pool only to find the pool chairs stacked in like cord wood. Not an inch between them and each one filled with people. To say there were tons of screaming, obnoxious kids would be an understatement! I have 4 daughters and have a ton of tolerance for children, have been to many Disney resorts, but this place was nuts!! Ironic since I actually saw one of the on duty lifeguards sleeping through it all. If you wanted a chair at all you had to be up at 6:30 am and get in line to get a plastic bracelet at 7 am to be able to stake one out for yourself, and can't go out there a minute before 7 because they will through you out.... unless of course you wanted to pay $300+ for a small cabana for the day. Yes even at the adult pool you had to be up at this time, didn't really say relaxing luxury to me. Especially since we came from a resort a bit down the road which had free cabana use with better service. The pool areas, again even the adult pool areas, were unkept and each morning we would be up to get a chair and there would be garbage all around, not nice for a 5 star report?! And once you check in this place is obnoxiously expensive even more than you could expect: $18 for a breakfast sandwich and coffee at the "store", up to $22 for a cocktail by the pool (if you could get service), $14 for a side of onion rings! Oh and don't forget to note the "mandatory resort and valet parking fee" which will run you $55+tax on top of your room rate. The beach was massively overcrowded as well!! This place reminded me very much of a Vegas hotel, pretty but with no class and 3x more than Vegas. SKIP THIS RESORT unless of course you have screaming obnoxious kids and want to join in. THIS IS NOT A CLASSY LUXURY RESORT!!! Most we spoke to felt the same, this resort used to be wonderful, not sure what has happened :(

Room Tip: Pay more I guess!
1 Thank Nelson051
GWExec, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
First of all, thank you for your review regarding your past stay at our hotel. I always appreciate hearing from our guests - including areas of opportunity. Our front desk department goes through a lengthy process each day to ensure that our guests receive exactly the room expected, however at times we do not have the same availability due to guests extending their stays with us. I'd also like to apologize that you were unhappy with some of the charges at our resort. I'm very sorry if these were not made aware to you when you booked your room. I do hope that the next time you travel to the area you will consider staying with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,256)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
stratford, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

The hotel staff makes a world of a difference at this hotel. I was very impressed with the attention to detail that the staff provides. From putting cold waters in the car when you pick it up from the valet service to the turn down service where they always tell you about a local event. Every encounter I had was pleasant and everyone seem genuine about wanting to help. You can certainly expect that from a Waldorf Astoria Resort..the only reason why I didnt give an excellent review was for the overall decor of the place. While we were there there were reapairs being done to the fountains...so it was somewhat tought to visualize but over all the grounds definitly made you fele like you were somewhere special...the big let down was on the rooms themselves...the furniture and color scheme dates this place to the early 90s..everything is clean but feels old...the faucet in our bathroom was missing the cold cap on the faucet handle...overall this place is great but the rooms are a bit odd...I believe the four seasons and fairmont (next door) are better appointed..so if those places offer a similar price..I would probably go there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Westminster, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

This was actually our fourth visit to the Grand Wailea. We started coming there 20 years ago, but although the grounds are drop dead gorgeous and the pool system is amazing, I think we may not go here again.

The price has gotten out of this world, for one, and I'm not certain it's worth it anymore. There are just things about it now that really irritate me.

For example, when we check in, we have almost always been put in the worst room possible for the room category we reserved. We are not complainers by nature, but when i pay $500/night for a room, I want what I pay for - and that does not include a room whose view is mostly blocked by a wall. Or one that is a "garden view" that looks directly over the parking lot. After complaining vociferously, we've usually been moved to very nice rooms that have made us very happy - but I always feel like we have to fight for the privilege of having a decent room after paying outrageous amounts of money.

Secondly, it really gets old to be charged $15 for a drink. My husband and I actually stopped drinking or eating at the hotel for this reason - yes, i know we are on vacation, but when you tack an extra $1,000 on just for a few drinks and food, that gets old, too.

As I said, though, the grounds here are exceptional, and I think it's a wonderful place to visit, which is why I still rated it 4 stars. i would still recommend that anyone I know visit it at least once. The Spa Grande is an amazing experience as well, but again, super over-priced. The Botero Bar is an excellent place to while away an afternoon - the Botero sculptures are well worth a visit in and of themselves, too. And I recommend trying a Lava Flow drink at least once.

If you have oodles of money to spare and don't care about price at all, then don't worry about any of that - get the priciest room and enjoy yourself. But when I've already laid out $3500 for a room for a week, then it is a bit difficult to add a huge extra amount onto that for amenities.

So it's a love / hate relationship I have now with Wailea. Love the resort when things go your way; get frustrated when they don't... and it doesn't seem like people care very much when things don't go your way. Whenever I've complained about the rooms we've been assigned, hotel staff has been extremely disinterested, and acted like we were wasting their time. I had to talk to several people before I did finally get my room changed. And for that kind of money, I just don't think I should have to go through that much effort to be happy.

Also, they put in these horrible, soft beds that were so difficult to sleep in - I've never had a worse night's sleep in my life in a hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank female_wanderer
GWExec, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thanks for the kind compliments to our hotel. We are sorry that we disappointed you in certain areas.

Our beds all have a feather topper on them for extra softness. Had we known that you liked a firmer bed, we would have happily removed the additional feather pillow topper. As a tip to other readers, we can also place a board between the mattress to give extra firmness if that is your preference.

Again, we are very grateful for the great review.
Spring, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

We are frequent visitors to the Grand Wailea and love our trips there. We were disappointed in this trip due to several reasons. Construction was being done at the front of the resort when we checked in. Then about 5 days into our stay they started emptying out the main lobby fountains and jackhammering the tiles out. The entire ambience of the hotel was gone and we didn't find it too relaxing. One thing is we would have expected to have been given a heads up they were doing the work. I guess they decided to disrupt people's holidays and ask for forgiveness instead of being upfront about it. We also had a bit of an issue with our cabana rental - which was resolved but basically we had requested certain cabanas - months in advance - told we had a certain cabana but upon check in and after getting situated they tried to move us to a cabana at the back of the pool to accommodate a c-list star and some of their friends. Their first stay at the resort - our 8th time visiting. I guess it doesn't pay to be a loyal guest. We left 5 days early and went back to Honolulu to stay at Aulani Disney Resort. The kids love the pool at the Grand Wailea and the staff at the Kids Camp is amazing. We do love it there - but after this last visit we are not sure if we will go back. We may try the Four Seasons next door.

• Stayed June 2013
5 Thank Jackie P
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience. We are sorry to have disappointed you regarding the construction and saddened to read that you left early. We did not anticipate having the repairs take place during this time. We are very sorry for the inconvenience. We'd really love to have you return one day and give us another chance to provide you with outstanding Waldorf Astoria service.

Again, we are sorry we let you down and disappointed you during your stay.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Maui is paradise! It is by far the best vacation spot. December 2012 was our fourth trip to the beautiful island of Maui. We have stayed at multiple resorts. We prefer the Wailea area and for our hotel, The Grand Wailea is the new winner!

We stayed here using my wife's years of Hilton Honors points (LOTS of points!). The front desk immediately recognized us as Hilton Honors members and thanked us for using our hard earned points at their property. We were than surprisingly upgraded to one of their suites - it was perfect!

The property is HUGE and if something more boutique is your taste - than Hotel Wailea or Four Seasons is my recommendation. However - if you looking for FUN, FAMILY-FRIENDLY and LUXURY - The Grand Wailea has the full package.

FUN - Best pools among all Maui properties. The slides - the Tarzan swing - it was almost like a mini water park.

SPA - My wife still brags to all her friends about the spa. Voted among the best in the U.S. - its a MUST experience.

FOOD - We did try Amasia (Alan Wong's spot). It was obvious that the outlet was still new - but very promising.

SERVICE - Top notch. Great front desk staff - housekeeping - concierge - and valet team.

Since it was our fourth trip to Maui - along with highly recommending Grand Wailea - here is a list of our favorite restaurants:

Capishe - Best choice for Italian & Any of the restaurants at Four Seasons.

----

We do Maui every two years and will be back next Winter. Without a doubt Grand Wailea is our pick.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
WOW! Thank you very much for the great review. We are honored to be your new winner and delighted to read that you will be back to visit us.
draper, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

the pool and water slides were great for the kids. the beach right next to the pool was also amazing. only issue was the cost of the food...too high. the deal for us was the free breakfast buffet with our stay, which saved a lot of money of food expenses. look for the free benefits offered by the hotel as it definitely makes a huge difference in the cost of staying at the resort, especially if you have kids that love the pool and ocean and just want to stay at the grounds

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Monterey, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

My Family and I just return home from a week short vacation at the Grand Wailea. We loved it!!! My husband and I stayed in Nov. 2012 and started planning immediately after for our whole family to visit. We stayed in two rooms in the Napua Tower, one the my husband and I, the other for our 4 girls (19,19,16,14) You see the reason forM two rooms. lol. The rooms are spacious, beautiful, clean, with beautiful view. The kids loved the beach and all the activities paddle boarding, kayaking, Snorkeling, sunbathing. We bought the unlimited beach gear for the week $99. The swim up bar is a blast...shout out to our bartender Richie and Wayne! We can't wait to return again!

1 Thank Tell5
Aloha,

thanks for the great review! I am glad that your whole family found something that they loved about their stay. We really do have something for everyone!

Richie was tickled to be mentioned in a Trip Advisor review. You really made his day. We hope you will come back and see him and Wayne again one day. The are truely the best bartenders we have! We are very lucky to have them!

Warmest aloha!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!