“Great beach location”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Lovely looking resort with great beach location, Food, service very good. We had a beach view double room which was very spacious with great views. Pools very crowded with Kids but luckily there is an adult only pool. Drinks expensive

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank totally1203

Reviewed June 24, 2013

The property is spectacular! Awesome outdoor areas, pool, great beaches, excellent large spa, good food (the Amasia restaurant is truly excellent), friendly and attentive staff. The guest mix had a surprisingly large number of families and three-star-deal-seeking types, the service is mostly four star, and the bathroom was a bit dated and not as lux as I would have expected. Overall a great experience!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Troy S
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed three nights last week. The staff was fabulous, remembered us and greeted us each time they saw us. The room was beautiful, the grounds were spectacular and the pools were great fun. The food was okay, pretty much what we expected for "hotel" food.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I remembered the Grand Wailea as a true marvel back when I went in 2000. I made it a point to make it come back for our 20th wedding anniversary and share this treasure of art, fun, beauty and elegance with my family. I didn't realize that bankruptcy and the economy took such a toll on what was once the most beautiful hotel in the world.

The art, gardens, and volcano pool and views to Lanai and Molokini are still amazing. Especially the vision of the playful art and gardens and tributes to Hawaii and water in its theme throughout the property. But it feels now like a museum - like you know that this was once the most beautiful and elegant hotel in the world in its past and and feels more like ruins in its presence. I understand the new investors from Singapore promise to make changes but am disheartened to hear that some of the changes might be more geared towards cost reductions in operations vs. perhaps improvements that can put the resort back in contention with being the unique and glorious hotel it was once.

The rooms are unkept and you sensed the bathrooms were repaired were more than renovating with glass awkwardly replacing a shower enclosure to give it a more modern feel but the chipped tile and dirty grout making it obvious it was not renovated as much as repaired. The housekeeping surprisingly didn't take out the garbage during our stay. One of the housekeepers opened our room while I was undressed/changing after only knocking once and then awkwardly asking if all was ok and kinda laughing and apologizing yet continuing the conversation....lol!

There were some excellent staff on property. Our girl who checked us in and put is in a room near the pools aware we were with kids and celebrating our 20th was friendly and helpful at all times. The bartender at humuhumu was such a nice guy, as was one of the ones at the Volcano walk up bar and the ones at the Botero bar too. I found the waitstaff to be lacking in decorum and efficiency and most of the spa staff as well.

Some of the services are simply outrageous in price. $250 for a 30 minute sitting for family photos - no way, I would rather give it to charity. I paid $145 to have my shoulder length hair blow dried and curled for family pictures we took elsewhere - I thought it was $85 total but it was $65 to blow dry and then an additional $85 to run a curling iron through it for 5 minutes extra and left me a bit surprised. I was disheartened when I changed in the spa, forgot my sunglasses in the dressing room counter, and they were simply missing when I called to ask for them. I am not saying this was the staff or their fault, but excellent service would have meant cleaning that dressing room soon after my leaving and noticing them and setting them aside or calling me. That's not the kind of service you get which I've been privileged to get elsewhere.

My children loved the volcano pool but I sympathize with the strange tradition of families lining up at 645 AM to get a pool chair. Their pool ambassadors should discourage this and ensure everyone that seats will be had pointing out shady spots where they could be put up. Also strange is some of the pool staff overdoing their enforcement duties on wristband. My husband who had a wristband brought my little one to the top who forgot his and despite it being obvious they were dad and son, the attendant refused to just let him go down by slide to get his band...excellent service would have called him a band up or just let the 10 year old go down once with dad to get it.

The food was nothing to write home about yet I think it's that way at any resort. The haggling with the deal on the refillable cups was a bit strange at a luxury resort, too. Why not just fairly price your drinks by the pool vs. offering upsell/deals at a 5 star resort? I don't think customers want a double drink for the price of one - like an airport - they just want a good drink at a good price.

The grand wailea is a reminder of what once was - and still fun for families with something for all. But, it is a shadow in the post recession of what it once was. I also find, then, that due to its overall decline, the prices for its amenities and food out of line with its current condition. It feels like it needs a management and staff overhaul in addition to a significant restoration.

I'd approach spending $700 tax included here a night with caution because the experience is not top notch save a few great employees and beautiful art/views that make it still unique.

4  Thank jimmylo1108
GWExec, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Thank you for staying with us at our resort, and I appreciate your candor in your review of your stay. I'm so glad to hear that you decided to come back and celebrate your 20th anniversary with us. I love to hear that you were able to interact with some of our amazing staff here at the resort. They're such an important factor when it comes to our overall guest experience. I am, however, very sorry to hear that you found the appearance of your guest room to be unsatisfactory. We take feedback from our guests very seriously, and guest room appearance is an area of our hotel that we are actively examining. I welcome any additional comments or suggestions that you would like to share, and I really hope that you will come back and give our resort another chance in the future.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Whether or not you are traveling with kids, the Grand Wailea will guarantee you an amazing trip! The hotel has endless opportunities for fun for adults (spa, adults only pool, beautiful beaches and pools) or for families! The waterslides provide endless fun for children of all ages and the staff is just incredible! Although the hotel is expensive, it is worth every penny!

Room Tip: Get a room with an ocean view - they are spectacular!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We spent a week at the Grand Wailea, and had a great time. We have spent time here on our honeymoon as well as with our 2 young children, and there is always something for everyone. The pool is absolutely fantastic! Great service, great food, and beautiful grounds. Wonderful beach location. I didn't give an "Excellent" rating because I just feel the pricing astronomical, unnecessarily.

2  Thank Linda F
Reviewed June 21, 2013

The property, views and amenties at this hotel are outstanding and highly recommended. I had some very good service experiences, but also was disappointed in a few instances with the service -- and even more with the response when I communicated my displeasure to the Guest Relations Manager.

2  Thank William K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!