Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Andaz Maui At Wailea Resort(Wailea)
6,885 results
All reviewswater elevatornapua towerlazy rivergrand wailearope swingchapel winghibiscus poolbistro molokinithe grand dining roomcafe kulaspa grandefour seasonspool areaadult poolvalet parkingper dayocean view
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Just returned from a 7 night stay at the Grand Wailea. First, we were treated extremely well by the staff in the Napua tower where we enjoyed a spectacular corner king room on the 7th floor. Napua Tower is sold by amenties, and not by views, so we felt quite lucky to receive such a lovely room. Every concierge in the Napua club (concierge) level was wonderful, and all the staff were very friendly and went out of their way to ensure we had everything we needed. I highly recommend opting for a Napua Tower room if you can swing it. The breakfast is quite complete, with two hot entrees and a wonderful assortment of fresh fruit, pastries, yogurt, good granola, and other items that couldn't possibly leave a normal person wanting for more. With the cost of the buffet in all Maui hotels pretty $$$ for breakfast, this is a great option. From 5-6:30 the Napua tower rooms also enjoy a lovely cocktail hour with complimentary cocktails, beer and wine as well as hot appetizers, good cheese selections, crackers, vegetables, dips, cookies, etc. With a cocktail at any hotel bar $15 or more, again, you really get a great value and wonderful service if you take advantage of this evening reception. Every single person we encountered for any reason within the hotel was courteous, friendly, and seemed genuinely concerned that we had what we needed. Service gets 5 stars.

Now for my constructive but honest critique. The hotel room is a bit tired. Little things like paint that looks as if it needed a new coat or two a year or more ago on the walls. The teak furniture on the deck is lovely, but not only were the cushions so hard they were uncomfortable, they were dirty with bird droppings that someone should see and clean. Ditto with the little ledge around the corner of the building. A little time to power wash or scrub these visible areas would go a long way toward making the outside areas seem nicer. The grounds are absolutely lovely. I just couldn't help but see bird droppings on the walls visible from where you sit outside to eat breakfast or on our own deck. It's just these little things that make a difference.

We had an issue with the A/C in our room not cooling well enough and despite two trips from engineering (and again--very polite and we will do anything to help you attitude) it was not fixable and we were given the option to move but didn't want to lose our great corner room. We were too warm to sleep well, but at least we had some A/C.

I realize with 780+ rooms, the hotel has an enormous task to attend to so many details, but with the Napua Tower rooms like ours selling for $780 a night plus tax and resort fees, people can expect near perfection when dropping $900/night just for the room. Again, I would give the service of the staff on all levels a full 5 stars. All the food we ate was excellent, and we had a great time. The bathtub leaked water onto the floor every time you turned on the faucet, but I informed engineering and they said they would have to chip up the stone around the tub spigot to fix the problem so we used a spare towel each time we filled the tub to avoid soaking the marble floor.

For those of who need to work while on vacation, we did have connectivity issues in our room because the 'access point' or wi-fi extender/repetaer in our room was not giving off a strong enough signal. Again I worked with onsite and off-site IT on several long phone calls to fix the problem which was never resolved. They tried and we upgraded to a higher speed service to help offset the problems, ($25 more each day) which the front desk manager graciously waived in consideration of the problems we'd had and our repeated efforts to give the IT People a chance to fix the problem. Free wi-fi is slower download speed but adequate for email, not work. Our issue was one of signal dropping to almost no bars when we would move only so far as the desk to the bed to use our ipads. Not good. Again, they seemed to care and to want to fix the problem, but it never was resolved :(

If you have kids, they'll love you forever for bringing them to this Disneyland of beach hotels. We'er "big kids" (active 50) and loved the slides, the pools, kayaking, stand up paddling, outrigger canoeing, and snorkeling all from the beach. You could stay the entire week on the property and never lack for something great to do. We are explorers, but this trip we did spend a lot of time on property and the Maui Ocean adventure package where you get unlimited snorkeling gear, boogie boards, SUPs, kayaks for $129 /each for the week can't be beat. Great service.

There is a path that runs along the water that is about 1.6 miles long from the Fairmong Kea Lani down to where Hyatt is building the new Andaz Hotel opening this fall. The views are gorgeous so I recommend walking the path each day and perhaps using it to go dine at the Four Seasons. We ate at Spago and Duo, and both were fabulous (our expectations were low on Spago for some reason but we are foodies and were blown away.) The GW truly has the best beach and location.

All in all, we knew we were choosing a very family oriented hotel and thankfully arrived slightly before all the children got out of school so according to my inquiries and research, we were not there at peak kid season but there were still children everywhere. We are quiet, peaceful oceanfront resort room kind of travelers, but I'm glad we experienced this hotel for a change of pace.

If it were my honeymoon and I wanted a quieter scene, I'd definitely go Four Seasons. The Fairmont is nice, but the beach can't compare to the GW.

I can only speak to my experience as one fortunate enough to have a great view AND the Napua Tower experience (not always an available combination) so my issues are minor. If you are OK with paying $19 for a cheeseburger and $15 for a cocktail, you'll be right at home here. Truthfully, it's Maui and you know before you arrive that it's not going to come without a price. I say it's worth it, but then I don't have children and was not trying to feed a family of 5 for a week on this resort.

Last little gripe (might not bother some...) there is a luau on property (actually one on both sides so you are flanked by nightly luaus) and if you choose a view room with the intention of using your lanai to sip cocktails, watch sunset or even have a nice dinner on your lanai, beware that the luau noise will go on for HOURS almost every night and it's not the Hawaiian music or drums that annoy (I happen to be fine with those....for awhile) but rather the microphone/speaker amplified voice of the hostess going on and on and on talking to the crowd, asking where people are from, etc. I am sure the luaus bring in lots of revenues to the hotels, but the noise is forced upon anyone outdoors from 430 or 5 until dark. It made us want to leave our lovely view lanai and go elsewhere after the first night or two :( Not sure what else to say. We haven't been subjected to this kind of unwelcome intrusion elsewhere but I know people come to the islands expecting a luau so perhaps it's as unavoidable as a neighbor's barking dog! :) Just a warning...The water and sunset are amazing. You might not enjoy luau lady's voice after the first 10 minutes!

I almost forgot to mention the gym. First rate equipment. Clean, clean, clean. Lots of options. Great quiet area without children. Cold water. Cardio theater at the machines, Lots of extras like floor mats, physio balls and foam rollers. You can even get a pilates reformer session which is rare. Great gym and I'm serious about my training. Just perfect.

Hospitality, smiles and good service abound at the GW. A bit of a facelift and a dab of paint, perhaps start replacing some of the furniture here and there might help.

Special mahalo to Andra, Patty and Ken in the Napua Tower for great service. We enjoyed our time at the hotel very much.

Room Tip: Try to upgrade to a Napua Suite or corner room. No views are guaranteed in the tower, but I'd never opt out of a Napua Tower room even if guaranteed a deluxe ocean view. The Napua Tower is in the best location, center of resort, spa, gym, valet. It's the only way to go.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Deborah L
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed here for one night at the end of our Maui trip on Hilton points. I was expecting spectacular for the amount of points/dollars this place charges and it fell a bit short of my expectations. After checking in with very nice front desk and valet staff we were upgraded to a room with a balcony overlooking the pool. The view was lovely and the room was very comfortable with luxurious bath products. I was a bit disgusted that there was a very noticeable stain on the sheets in the bed. I have stayed at $100 Embassy Suites that did not let this happen. The bathroom and front entryway show their age and are not in line with an ultra luxury hotel.

The resort grounds were very special with countless pools and a lovely beach access. We took advantage of the hotel's beach umbrella and chair service the next morning and had a great time on the beach. My husband rented a paddle board for an hour for $40 and had a lot of fun. Breakfast was $15 for two bagels and a coffee. Lunch at the hotel's bistro was $70 for a burger, fish and chips, pina colada and beer. The service is first class all the way but you are definitely paying for it!

We took advantage of the hospitality suite on our way home with was very convenient. Overall I enjoyed my stay here but would not be willing to pay these prices for a longer visit.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I first ran into this resort in 1990 when the town of Wailea was in its infancy. We stayed there the following year, and each year after that over the next 18 years. We even brought our entire extended family there, twice! First time visitors, as I was the first time there, would undoubtedly rave about the gorgeous pool, the serene waterfalls, the perfectly raked beach, the world class spa, and sizable rooms in this resort. All of which is certainly true. However, I am not certain whether the staff at this place is not treated well, or it's difficult to retain good help on Maui, the service is comparable to a much lower rated property. My personal experiences included a long lecture by a food staff on the concierge floor, nasty notes left by employees on my rental car, room service that did not show up until LATE in the afternoon, pool attendants shouting at guests as if they are uninvited party-crashers, concierge desk staff who appears uninterested in their jobs, inflexible check-in desk staff who cares more about getting to the next people in line than the one standing in front of them, etc, etc, etc.

The worst part of this property, aside from the frequent ownership-management change, is that they make zero attempt to distinguish one-time visitors from frequent-visitors. Yes, I am a resort member. Yes, I have been dutifully paying my annual dues the last dozen or so years. No, I am not pleased with how badly the staff is trained here and how displeased at how little effort is made to retain returning guests.

For a real resort experience, I highly suggest staying at the Four Seasons next door, where the pool while not as grand or elaborate, clearly works hard at cultivating long-term relationships with guests. Even the Kea Lani down the street offers better value and superior service than Grand Wailea that costs twice as much.

The bottom line is, if you are interested in spending money on a piece of art with no soul, this is the place to go. On the other hand, if a resort experience is what you seek, skip this place!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Phil D
GWExec, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at our hotel. Guest feedback is extremely important to us and we regret that we were not able to provide you with the quality of service you deserve during your recent stay. We strive for unparalleled service delivery at our hotel, and we are always looking for ways to ensure that each guest experiences the very best we have to offer. We believe that the very best service experiences are genuine, anticipatory and personalized and we will continue to work to ensure our guests find that level of service at our hotel. Your feedback will help us to continue to improve our training processes, and we hope you will return to stay with us to experience the results of that work firsthand.

Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

10th visit in 8 years. Still lovely as ever. Love the addition of Amasia ;and the inclusion of beach umbrellas in resort fee. Will try $100 4 day all water sports equipment next visit. Botero bar happy hour, water slides and quiet surroundings are all pluses

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We came as a family of 10 to this resort 5 adults and 5 children and everyone had a terriffic time. Great memories of this hotel and Maui. The restaurants were great and had something for everyone. The pools were a hit with the kids and the beach waves and soft sand was just what the kids were looking for.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family