“What an amazing place!”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Going to the Grand Wailea is a once in a lifetime experience. There's no question that it is a top notch resort with expansive and luxurious spaces. The pools, surrounding grounds and beachfront property make this an idyllic setting for a romantic getaway or a company trip. My wife and I stayed 6 nights as part of a company President's Club trip. That being said, almost all expenses were included which made jade my response some. I also admit that I've been on Kauai and Oahu which also aide my perspective.

It is very hard to beat the views in Hawaii. If you want a tropical, lush experience, Hawaii is the place to go. If you're going to Maui, the Grand Wailea is the place to stay. Our ocean view room was exceptional, no complaints about our view. We had a small maintenance problem and it was handled immediately and professionally with little impact to our vacation. The beach staff were professional and we found the pools to be inviting and the right temperature. The Luau onsite had very good food and the performances were quite well done considering luaus are known for their lack of pizzaz. It is easy to see why so many people want to come to Maui and this resort.

For my few (and I stress few) complaints, I offer them here as helps to readers just to set the proper expectations for your stay.
Prices: This is Hawaii and you should expect everything to be at least double what you might pay in the Caribbean or Mexico. That includes food, entertainment, everything. Unfortunately, I found that the prices for the buffet at breakfast were outrageous for the quality and variety of the food. The service staff was always helpful, but the prices irritated me enormously.

Beach Chairs: If you want a beach chair, they are included. However, plan to arrive on the beach no later than 830a (maybe earlier based on occupancy) if you want to have a hotel provided umbrella and lounge chair. The pool side lounge chairs are VERY hard to find since most of the prime real estate is taken up by cabanas which are for rent (expensive) rather than on a first come first serve basis.

On balance, this was an exceptional experience and the hotel was beyond amazing.

1  Thank JohnKnotwell

Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

This is a great property in a great location. Friendly staff and great food. Happy hour at Amasia is a great deal. I didn't find the lounge chairs to be an issue. The pool is the beat we've seen at any resort. I hope to retun soon.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 5, 2013

This a tough one... There are so many great things about the Grand Wailea, but then so many that leave you wondering how it has the Waldorf Astoria flag. I would recommend it for the facilities because we had a blast, but if you are expecting a high end/ luxury experience you will be scratching your head.

THE GOOD...

1. Spa Grande: Most comprehensive and engaging spa facility I've seen. Great staff, too. Just do it.

2. Entryway: Driveway, porte cochere, and open air lobby feel luxurious. The valet team is efficient and you'll always have two bottles of water in your vehicle.

3. Recognition: Room upgrade to oceanview for Hilton Gold, champagne voucher for anniversary

4. Water Activities: This kid at heart loved the water slides (they're legit), easy access to ocean kayaks, etc.

5. Bath Products: Honey mango bath products were location appropriate and enjoyable

6. Location: High end neighborhood, right on the beach, easy access to an oceanfront walkway with several neighboring resorts

7. Grounds: Waterfalls, plants, flowers, fountains, etc all over the place

8. Pool Patrol: The requirement of wrist bands ensures only guests are accessing the broad pool area. We also saw firsthand the enforcement of the 1 hour limit for unattended lounge chairs (love that!).

THE NOT SO GOOD...

1. Rooms: Definitely in need of an update. My hunch is that this property attracts a ton of point redemption travelers and ends up at the bottom of the list for renovations.

2. Maintenance: The grounds are maintained well, but there is not as much attention to detail on touching up paint and such in the rooms and the exterior hallways.

3. Pool Seating: This is a HUGE resort so the pool will be crowded, I get it. However, trying to find a spot to lounge with an umbrella is tough. There are tons of cabanas available at a hefty price, but otherwise you'll be fighting for shade. The Four Seasons next door has ample canopies for guests free of charge to shelter from the sun.

4. Service: Again, it's a HUGE resort. It feels a bit institutionalized. I was handed a bunch of promotional vouchers and such at check-in. You get two bottles of water in total for a 5-night stay as a Hilton Gold. Other luxury hotels give you two bottles of water (or more) daily regardless of status. Turndown was inconsistent, sometimes they'd be there by 5pm other times we'd return at 8pm and it still hadn't been done. No robes and slippers were put out for us. No little personal touches, either. Contrasting this with a stay at the St Regis in Kauai just before this was night and day (at the St Regis we had a butler who checked on us, brought as much water as we requested, delivered complimentary champagne to the room rather than handing us a voucher, and delivered coffee to our room each morning).

5. Food & Beverage: While Bistro Molokini was a great lunch spot, the rest of the food outlets were not appealing. The Humu smells like a pond and is not appetizing when you're about to eat fresh fish. We had vouchers for 2 free cocktails, which we redeemed at the Humu and we ended up tossing the drinks after a couple sips... seemed like well brand liquor and tasted odd. The breakfast buffet next door at the Four Seasons was fantastic.

In closing, this can be a really fun resort and the location alone is great. However, I think it's either too large for its own good or it was over ambitious when being assigned the Waldorf brand. That said, I've heard some similar feedback from travelers regarding the Four Seasons next door... when you have a great location, I guess it's easy to rely on that selling point and letting others slide.

Room Tip: It's a huge place, no matter where your room is you'll either have a long walk to the car or...
2  Thank johnruda
Reviewed May 5, 2013

This place is beautiful, and the service is great, but I was bummed that the pool doesn't open till 10am (we were waking up very early and waiting bc of the time change!) and then it was nearly impossible for my husband and I to find a chair even near the pool. I would forgo the Volcano bar and go to the lobby to get a drink instead. Room service was fantastic, the pizza was surprisingly good. The spa was nice, but not my favorite spa ever. Arrive for your treatment at least an hour early--and if you have a bad sunburn be sure to soak in the sunburn bath.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Great hotel, massive property, excellent staff. had a great time....However The Grand Lady of Wailea is starting to look a little tired and dated. Hilton really need to spend some money refreshing this property, esp if they are gong to continue to charge primo prices starting at $600 a night.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Simon S
Reviewed May 3, 2013

My Husband and I recently stayed at the Grand Wailea. Our Travel Agent had recommended this resort for the Maui portion
of our Hawaiian Island vacation

We are very glad she did! From the moment we checked in, to our departure on the 6th day, every Employee was courteous and helpful! Our check in was seamless and the woman who checked us in was a delight. She treated us as if she were our personal concierge....very pleasant. Our Garden View room had a lovely view of the gardens as well as the Pacific Ocean, the room was a very nice size, with a roomy balcony. Housekeeping even had special touches displayed on our bed as well as the spacious bathroom. What a lovely welcome. With regards to dining, we ate at the Kula Cafe, Botero Bar ,Gotto Bar , the food and drinks were good, but our favorite was Humuhumunukunukuapua's! The food was delicious and the service wonderful......the setting magnificent. Last,but not least,the wonderful valet staff! We would love to recommend this hotel♥

1  Thank l0ts0fl0ve
GWExec, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

You are very welcome! We are so glad you and your husband had a wonderful time.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

We went to the Grand Wailea for Winter break and it was tons of fun. There are so many enjoyable activities available. However the room was dirty and we noticed a dead bug on the wall across from our room and proceeded to name it because it was never removed throughout our stay. Also upon arrival to our room, we had to ask to get the bathtub cleaned because it was dirty.
The spa was great along with the pools and beach. The breakfast's were also quite extensive and delicious.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Kyle S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Four Seasons
Four Seasons
#2 of 8 in Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!