“Good Resort Hotel, Great Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Chatham, NJ
“Good Resort Hotel, Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

My wife and I were at the Grand Wailea for a week as part of a conference and a few days on our own. The hotel has a great location in the center of a gorgeous beach. It has numerous pools and water activities with golf and tennis nearby, a National rental car desk, and a team of concierges to help plan activities. The main drawback is its size. The first day we were there, we had to get on a waiting list to get chairs and an umbrella on the beach. I shudder to think what its like getting a lounge chair by the pool in season. The rooms are spacious (every room has a furnished balcony). The resort also has a cafe which offers a lower cost option for meals, as well as snacks and drinks, which would be a big plus for families with kids. As well, other resorts and the Shops at Wailea are in easy walking distance if you want additional meal options. Overall, the location trumps any issues I had, at least for an April visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,094)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I can't say nice enough things about this resort. They really did save our honeymoon from disaster after the Westin totally botched our reservation and had the filthiest rooms of any Westin property I've ever seen. It was so bad, we walked out of the hotel without anywhere else to stay and started calling around the island.

Jesli, the manager at the Grand Wailea, was the FIRST person on the island to be nice. People were so ambivalent, a very "we're polite, but we don't really care" attitude is pervasive on the island, but Jesli was VERY friendly, professional, understanding, and accommodating. He found us a room and although the sticker shock from the price was a little off-putting, when we showed up we found out why they're more expensive than other resorts on the West end.

Beautiful tiki torches, waterfalls, Boganvillas, and a BEAUTIFUL covered entryway and exterior chandelier greeted us as we drove up. The valets were quick and courteous both upon check in and during our entire stay. Walking into the resort it's amazingly beautiful, and when we checked in, they gave us all sorts of things for being on our honeymoon and being Hilton Honors guests for many years. An added bonus? Humunuhunukunukuapala (I probably botched that horribly) was on the property and we had been given a gift certificate for dinner there for a wedding present!

Our room was gorgeous, a comfortable king bed, iPhone dock, and the bathroom was gorgeous, separate big garden tub and glass frame tile shower, a huge outside porch with padded comfortable chairs and a large table for breakfasts, with a view that was reminiscent of a rainforest, just 50 feet from the beach.

The beach is nice, a semi-private cove on a decently-sized stretch of beach, and a great running path over lava rock stretching 1.5 miles either way (a bit busy as the morning goes on, if you want a run, get out there early), with beautiful views.

Our entire stay was without incident. The cleaning people will miss stuff unless you make it obvious (our coffee pot repeatedly missed being cleaned, as did the ice bucket, so a little do-it-yourself or leaving it out and obviously needing cleaned will help), but that was the ONLY minor blip in what otherwise was a PERFECT hotel.

Again, thank you so much Jesli for saving the start of our honeymoon from disaster! Mahalo!

Room Tip: The lower floors on the garden side tend to be reserved for families with kids, because the kid pool...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
San Jose, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

This hotel was one of the nicest on the island and definitely has 5 star class. We had a great room. Locaton of hotel is right on the beach. Staff service was generally friendly and sincere. The restaurants at the hotel were very good.

The only thing that dampened the experience was the extra charges that were disclosed when we arrived (they might have been in the fine print somewhere). Charges were for valet parking ($30/day), and there is no available self parking. The other was for daily amenities ($25/day) such as internet, coffee, fitness center, etc. They even wanted a $5 delivery charge when we called for an extra item.

Fitness center was above average, did not use the spa.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room. You will pay a little extra but you will not regret it.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Relaxing, beautiful, breath taking. This is a must see location with great service and a wonderful spa! Golf course beautiful but pricey. Restaurants offer good variety and exceptional quality. A beautiful walking path along the beach area that was good for walking, jogging or sitting on a bench and enjoying the view. Just far enough from the action to make it a perfect vacation for a couple or a family. Staff willing to direct us to the lesser know, but beautiful, and uncrowded spots to visit. Do not miss a sunset cruise!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

An excellent place for family vacation. All the amenities. wonderful beachfront, and good choice of restaurants. The pool is fantastic. The property is exquisite to look at and palatial!!!

Only challenge is the price. Best option is to get a cabana by the pool for best pool and beach views and best service. That said, you pay for it.

The restaurants are market rates (expensive because you are in Hawaii), and the hotel is situated right by a mall, so good for shopping too.

The gym is pretty good, and even tried a spin class which left me and my wife drenched!!!

Rooms are top notch. staff were very helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Woodbridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Incredible service, property is stunning.. golf course nearby..pools and the grounds are immaculate, friendly staff and service ..so beautiful words do not do it justice would highly recommend if visiting maui

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I just returned from 4 nights at the Grand Wailea. This is the fifth time I have stayed at the hotel. I am also a GW Member which helps on the room rates and other services at the hotel. I have been to a number of other resorts but I keep coming back here.

Many of the other reviews have said it but I will say it as well - the grounds are immaculate. The rooms are very nice. I had a deluxe ocean view room and spent a very relaxing amount of time on my balcony looking at the ocean and the beautiful courtyard below.

The service I experienced was outstanding from making the reservation to checking in, the spa, the restaurant, everyone I encountered went above and beyond what I expected. The breakfast buffet is tremendous. The food was very good, service was excellent and the view was fantastic.

I couldn't have asked for a more enjoyable stay. I walked next door to the Four Seasons and it was very nice but I can't envision what they could do to better the experience I had at the Grand Wailea. For what I am looking for in terms of the value I receive for my money there really is nowhere else I would rather go. I look forward to my next stay at the GW.

Room Tip: Deluxe ocean view rooms are worth the extra money if you plan to spend any time in your room. It...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank DTulsa97
GWExec, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Aloha,

Thank you for the very nice review and we are looking forward to providing you that same service again soon!

A hui hou and mahalo nui loa for the compliments!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!