“Vacation getaway”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed April 20, 2013

An amazing place, and atmosphere. Couldn't get any better. Water park for kiddos and adults they have a bar underneath the waterfall. Whales are awesome sight to see. Food a bit pricey but good. Saw a bunch is stars and celebs there. The spa is ranked top 5 in the world and I have never been to a better one, great for either man or women. Service is five star.

Room Tip: Go between dec and April the humpback whales are plentiful and amazing to see.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Stayed with my husbands company for a trip that he won. We also were celebrating our 25 anniversary. The room and view was spectacular. The front end managers Shane and Gabe were unbelievable. Shane gave us a meal voucher for Hana hana restaurant and without a doubt it was the best dining experience we have ever had. The server was fabulous. The atmosphere was breathtaking and the food was the BEST meal we have ever had. Gabe sent us a fruit and cheese plate and it was such a nice touch, and delicious.

The lobby and grounds are ridiculously beautiful and we found the staff to very helpful and caring.
Breakfast Buffett was wonderful.

Things we didn't like. We tried every day to lay out on the beach and 1 out of 5 days we were able to get out there. Never heard of not being able to lay on the beach at a resort in Maui. Could not ever find a chair around the pool and one day
when we did the servers on the pool deck were so slow it was awful. Hotel doesn't have a shuttle to get you anywhere.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I had very high hopes for this property. Come on It's a Waldorf hotel. Shouldn't it be spectacular? To me it felt very dated. It is a huge property. The grounds are nice. The pool area was very crowded and it was very difficult to get a chair. We ate at the restaurant by the pool twice. First time we ordered the beet and goat cheese salad. No goat cheese and a few beets...... We also had the pork tenderloin. It was overcooked and bland. I think we spent $80 for not so good food. Second time we had the flatbread and fish/chips. They were great. Also the Tuna sashimi was incredible.
Then there are the rooms. I was very disappointed. They felt dated. There was chipped, peeling and cracked paint in my room. The bed was like a hammock. I have been to Maui twice before and stayed at the Westin and Sheraton. I thought they were much better choices.

Room Tip: try the four seasons next hotel over
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dawatson
Reviewed April 19, 2013

This place is more an amusement park than a relaxing, Hawaiian resort it touts itself as being. Crowded, noisy, and overwhelmingly large, we felt lost, fleeced, and inconvenienced at every turn.

The craziness began when my husband and I couldn't even identify the correct entrance. The sign reads "Grand Wailea Resort and Spa Ballroom." The Ballroom part threw us off so we kept driving only to be redirected back to it (why doesn't it say "& Ballroom"??). There, we were informed the only way to park was the $30 valet. No self-park. Okaaaay. So we get in line to check in, to find another $20 mandatory Porter Fee. "But we don't need a porter, we only have one hanging bag." Had to pay it anyway, even though we didn't use a porter. So we're not even in our room yet, and we're already out $50. Okaaay. To find our room we go 'round and 'round twice looking for our elevator bank. Very confusing. (I guess we should have taken that porter we paid for). And after a seemingly 1/2 mile walk we finally get to our room overlooking the kids' pool! My heart sank. The noise of my home neighborhood I was hoping to escape for a weekend has followed me!!! Darn the luck. Guess I won't be sitting out to enjoy a quiet lanai.

Well, at least there was a welcome note inviting us to enjoy the two complimentary bottles of water in our fridge. Woo hoo!! A freebie! Open the fridge to find none. What a joke. I mentioned this to the agent upon checking out and she was apologetic, and invited me to a free cup of water in the lobby; and then as an afterthought kindly asked the valets to bring bottled water when they brought our car. I know this sounds petty, but it was the principle.

The hotel is HUGE. And crowded. There are very few stair cases that we could find when we really preferred to walk the one flight rather than stand there and wait for an elevator, only to have it too crowded, so had to wait for the next car. Why aren't stairs more conveniently located and clearly marked? A nice young couple I met from London complained of the same thing so I know it's not just me.

Ah, the luxurious pools and dining areas portrayed on the hotel website. What those photos don't show you: Line for chairs! Wait and fight for chairs! All after you must get up and get there early so you can be sure to get one! Crowds and noise by the pool! Line for slide! Line for breakfast (even before 7:00am)! Once seated, kids at the next table shouting human names to all of the birds hopping around. Line for crepes! Line for omelet! Line for potatoes! For most of you out there, isn't the point of coming to Hawaii to relax in a serene, calming environment away from crowds, chaos and work? This place is definitely work.

I really resent managers' responses to previous reviews that patrons should just come to this hotel in a less busy season. That is no excuse for an establishment like this. Your job is to make the place feel relaxing even in the busiest of times. You should be experts at this even when fully booked. Not enough room at the public beach for more chairs? Maybe the developers should have considered that before building such a large resort right there. Instead of the hotel having a relaxing aura, a frenetic, competitive energy reigns.

And the art only adds to it. The designers seemed to have ignored (or disagreed with) the concept of "less is more." This hotel is an example of "more is less." Statues are at every turn: mermaids, dolphins, kings, lovers, fishermen. It's like they didn't know when to stop. Hawaii is such an innately beautiful place, why not frame what nature provides instead of over-riding it? The Greek-inspired architecture, trompe-l'oeil frescoes, key details, and salmon-Mediterranean color scheme--all with a Hawaiian spin-- seem gaudy and garish. I think in one place I even saw Hawaiian deities painted on the ceiling with cherubic wings! Almost silly. We have stayed at far more softly elegant places in Hawaii.

On a positive note, the rooms were clean, bed comfortable, and service very friendly. We did not experience rudeness once. We stopped in for a late afternoon snack at Bistro Molikini and our server couldn't have been friendlier and more accommodating. The chicken wraps were a little salty but good. At the Fantasia Ball that night the buffet dinner was actually pretty good, for a buffet.

Nevertheless, I wanted to run from this place screaming. I was never so happy to leave a "resort" as I was the Grand Wailea and return to my own relatively quiet home on "crowded Oahu." After staying at Grand Wailea, I need a vacation.

In sum:
If you need contrived culture and entertainment, and like crowds, noise, and waiting in line, similar to what Disneyland or a cruise ship would provide, and paying lots and lots of money for basic amenities, then you might like this place.

If you're looking for a tranquil setting to unwind and relax at your own pace under the sun or stars, listening to palm trees sway and gentle lap of the ocean, do not stay here.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet lanai to relax and read a book, ask to not be placed near the pools.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
GWExec, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

We are sorry that this reviewer did not enjoy their time or the atmosphere here at Grand Wailea. We do take all of the reviews to heart and we appreciate this reviewer’s comments. We are also very grateful for the kind comments regarding our staff and service.

I am happy to have to opportunity to explain about the porter fees. The porter fees are included with the discounted negotiated room rate for our visiting groups. Many of our group bookings included a lower room rate for their attendees, such as this reviewer received attending the Fantasia Ball. Not unlike restaurants that include gratuity on parties of 10 or more, our groups' negotiated room rate does have an additional porter and housekeeping fee. These fees are all negotiated up front, are common in the industry, and normally communicated by a travel coordinator to their attendees. We apologize that it was not in this case and that we have been perceived to 'nickel and dime" our guests. It is my sincere hope that our guests understand that these fees only apply to groups and are common in the industry for a group this size.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Let me start by saying that my wife and I stayed here for 3 nights on points. If not for that, I doubt we would ever pay the going rate for this hotel. With that said, we thoroughly enjoyed our time here, even though it was a bit "over the top" on the opulent scale. It makes you feel a bit guilty that there are less fortunate people in the world while you're staying in paradise.

Pros:
-Maui
-Outstanding beach
-Outstanding pools
-Outstanding snorkeling
-Valet service was great
-The grounds were simply amazing

Cons:
-You had to get up early to get a good spot at the pool
-Food (and everything else) was VERY expensive
-The resort is huge, lots of walking
-Room cost
-The luau wasn't as great as advertised, still good, just not great-

Room Tip: If you come to Maui, spring for an ocean view. Also, if you're driving, ask for a room near the...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is far superior to the reviews I have read. The setting is spectacular. The maintenance and grounds are top notch.
We have adjoining rooms that are spacious, immaculate and have such a lovely view.

Drinks and food so far are great. Pricey as you might imagine in a five star resort but this place is lovely!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Ann F
Reviewed April 18, 2013

The facilities are beautifully furnished and maintained. The amenities are top-notch. Much of this is lost due to the lack of service. Except for the bell personnel, nearly every staff member we encountered failed to meet our expectations. They have one of the best pool facilities also, but getting a chair anywhere near the pool proved impossible. When these problems were brought to staff's attention, they were brushed off as business as usual. Overall, the quality of service falls far short of the quality of the facilities.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
GWExec, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at our hotel. One of the cornerstones of the Waldorf Astoria experience brand-wide is unparalleled service and I assure you that the problems you mentioned with the level of service you received have been addressed accordingly. We appreciate you alerting us to this issue, and we hope you will give our hotel a second chance if you return to the area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Four Seasons
Four Seasons
#2 of 8 in Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!