“Fun with kids for a day”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
Westchester County, New York
“Fun with kids for a day”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We booked the cheapest room with AAA discount in February for one night. Even with the discounted rate the bill was over $500 with taxes and fees. We were upgraded to an ocean view room, perhaps because I am a Hilton Honors member. We were actually staying next door at Wailea Beach Villas (see my review for that property) but booked the Grand Wailea for one night so our kids could use the cool pools and slide. (We were able to get pool wristbands for two days: both check in and check out days.) The resort is huge and beautiful, but expect lots of walking and an elevator ride to get from your room to the pool and beach. Fortunately my husband is an early riser. One needs to be to get a chair by the pools during a busy week. (This is exactly why we stayed next door at Wailea Beach Villas for our trip: low density, ample pool AND included beach chairs and umbrellas.) My kids DID enjoy the pools and slide. Their favorite was the rope swing and water elevator. They liked the poolside restaurant kids meals that are served in a souvenir shovel and pail. As for myself, I'd rather be on the beach than at the pool. But if you have kids, they will love the pool complex. It was fun for a day, but I much preferred our set up next door.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,287)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Roseville, CA
Reviewed March 19, 2013

As soon as we pulled into the driveway, the Grand experience began. Our bags were removed from the car along with our groceries before we even walked away from the car. We were then welcomed with beautiful flower lays. Check in was a breeze and we were escorted to our room by the bellman. Just before he took us up, I was approached by another bellman wanting to personally welcome us the the Grand Wailea. He had noticed my U of O shirt and let me know that he had a son at the school. We had a nice chat and several others during the days to follow. Our room was well furnished and the bed absolutely comfortable. I loved that the pointed the bed toward the ocean view. This was a nice touch. I suggest looking at the map and requesting a room a bit closer to the pool. We were a bit far away but who cares when you have all the time in the world. The pool system is a bit of a hassle but this seems to be common now at resorts. The beach is fantastic. Perfect for kids and adults. No huge waves and nice sand. HH Diamond Members prepare to be spoiled. There were some excellent perks that came with Diamond status. They have an adult only swimming pool which is a great touch. The kids area had us discussing bringing them on our next Hawaiian adventure. The drink prices are outrageous so don't be shocked when you get a $35 bill for two drinks. But how often do you get to have a cocktail in a grotto? The St. Regis in Kauai has long been our favorite hotel in the world. Our experience at the Grand Wailea put the two head to head in our opinion. I can honestly say that I cannot wait for our next visit to the Grand Wailea.

Room Tip: Look for a building closer to the pool.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
GWExec, Public Relations Manager at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Wow, what a GREAT review! Thanks for the compliments and thanks for mentioning our Hilton Honors program where your loyalty is indeed rewarded. If you don't know about the Honors program, please do go on-line and check it out. Its free to join and easy to earn points.
Baltimore
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed here with family for a professional conference. Yes this place is luxurious and expensive, so be prepared to pay for every little thing like $10 per person bag handling fee and $3 per day maid fee. However, that is what you get with a luxury resort. Yes the drinks were very expensive (16.50 for cocktails) but you are paying for the experience and the location/views. Also service was top notch.

Some complained the property is too big and if you stay in the chapel wing it's 10 minute walk to the pool. I think this is an exaggeration, yes it's a walk but not 10 minutes. Free beach yoga at 7am a nice plus, but one morning the instructor no-showed.

The pool area is fantastic for kids and be prepared for ALOT of kids. If you don't like them then stay next door at the Four Seasons. The grotto bar is cool and so is the lobby bar with the tower of Grey Goose bottles.

Nit picky things like the bathroom could have been a little cleaner and there was spackle on the bedroom walls where they needed to touch up the paint. Towels and bathrobes were very plush and plenty of them.Very nice beds, sheets. We wanted feather pillows and they brought them right up.

Overall, excellent but only stay here if you can afford the big bucks!!

Room Tip: The view of the chapel was beautiful in the Chapel Wing.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Cindy P
This reviewer shares a great tip.

We recognize that each traveller has a different opinion on what is comfortable to them and we really do welcome the opportunity to make your stay as comfortable as possible. There are many things we can do to make your stay more comfortable. Bed too hard, bed too soft, pillows too smushy or too hard? Just call the front desk. Our housemen are standing by.
Mumbai

I was here in Feb 2013.
Hotel is right on the beach. Its one of the best ( if not the best ) property in Maui.
Rooms are awesome. Bathrooms are VERY BIG and Super Clean.
Beds are comfortable. TV in standard rooms is 42Inch Samsung ! + WiFi is FREE.

You have choice of 2/3 Pools to choose from. Entry to water park is FREE. Water park is right on the beach so if you want just get out of the pool and take a dive in the Sea.

Staff is very courteous. You have lot of food options to choose from. No shortage of different kind of food in the Hotel.

Having said that. $650 / night is a lot of money. I must tell you they are not charging this money for the rooms its for the location and view from the balcony !

Enjoy Maui its one of the best places to me on EARTH !

Room Tip: Rooms on the inside have good Sea View. You need to take 6th Floor onwards to get clean view of the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks! We think Maui is No Ka Oi (the best) too!
USA
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Let me start with the positives the grounds of this hotel are something to be seen, i have stayed at the Ritz, the Four Seasons, The Fairmont all on Maui and this places facilites rival any of those. but that is where it stops- Location
Let me start I payed for a deluxe ocean view room ( was in the lagoon wing) the only way i could ever see the ocean was if hung off my balcony-- so dont be fooled. When you are paying 600+ a day i dont expect to be nickled and dimed for everything
FOOD-- the breakfast buffet is a joke, every morning we were there it was a 30-45 minute wait for a table, don't even think of having an omlete thats another 20-30 minute line, several time I pointed out they were out of items on the buffet and the comment back was " thats not my station" REALLY !!!
SERVICE was non exisitent we order rooms service after 3 days of fighting the buffet the first time they were 45 minutes early and cold, the second time they were 90 minutes late and cold again, when i complained i was told they were every sorry but they were busy-- THATS IT !!!
Sitting by the pool was a joke by 7:30 in the morning 80 % of the chairs were all reserved and that 2 hour hold turned out to be all day for some, but yet they could rent me a cabana for 500 a day sitting on the beach was no better i got the excuse Maui controls beach density and they could put me on the wait list for an umbrella and 2 chairs or I could rent a double chair on the beach for 95. When we did finally get a pool cahir the security guard was over like a hawk telling me I needed a wrist band or I had to leave, though I showed him my room key and told him my room number
I have been to the Grand several times before and expected the same level of service not this time. This is a Waldorf property but run more like a Walmart hotel
I will not go back
BE CAREFUL-- HERE--- THERE ARE OTHER MAUI OPTIONS

Room Tip: dont be fooled i paid for a deluxe ocean view in the lagoon wing only way I could see the ocean was...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank ArkyTraveler
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our 31st wedding anniversary at the Grand Wailea this year. When we checked in, Noreen, made a point of asking us if we were celebrating anything "special". Our 31st....we told her. My Hilton Gold "complimentary" upgrade was not available. However we were upgraded to the "Napua Club" floor. This is a hotel within a hotel section, with it's own entrance, concierge etc. This gave us a higher room, with a nice ocean / sunset view, complimentary breakfast, cocktails and snacks in the evening. This was a very nice surprise. In addition a voucher for a bottle of champagne, cocktails for 2 at a resort restaurant, and $ 40.00 voucher for a meal at a resort restaurant. All in all this contributed to a wonderful 3 days. My wife also went to spa and raved about the various pools you go through first.

Room Tip: In March for the whale watching a room higher up facing the ocean is best. Also for the sunsets.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
GWExec, Public Relations Manager at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
This review serves as a great tip! Please do let the hotel know in advance, either email us or phone us, of any special occasions you might be enjoying during your stay. We will be sure to acknowledge and recognize your special day. We are always honored when a guest chooses our hotel as the place they would like to commemorate a special or milestone event.
Cranbrook, Canada
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Our family travels often and have stayed
At many fancy resorts and have never written a review. This hotel has at best three star service. They charge for everything- even turn down service. When I'm
Paying over $650
A night plus resort fee 25/ day. I don't expect
To pay
Extra for
Every little
Thing. The food is expensive and tastes 3 star. I don't mind paying a big price but then it should not be cafeteria food.
The kids club is a joke. The girls sit behind the desk and barely
Interact with the kids. At $115 a day per child I would expect a little more.
I am staying for 8 nights and when I asked for the 2 children (age 6 asn 8) to get
Pool passes for a few
Hours on one day I
Was told no way from concierge. Not even for a fee. My kids are
3 and 6 and are
Not even using the slides. To make
Matters worse the previous day the pool guy offered me wrist bands for the 2 kids for 95 each cash. Honestly this place is a joke.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank 44anonymous2222
GWExec, Public Relations Manager at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
We are happy to share information about our Camp Grande facility and camp sessions. Our Camp Grande facility is open to everyone at the resort to enjoy. There are several different rooms, each one designed for specific ages. The facilities can be utilized by children under 13 years old when accompanied by an adult. Our Camp also shares the same facility and is available for children ages 5 to 12. There is a different activity each day for campers, such as tide pool explorations, sand-castling, or lei making, and each afternoon, the campers enjoy our pools and slides under the guidance of our trained counselors. Camp children are also provided a kid friendly lunch and afternoon snack. We do have a full schedule of activities that our campers enjoy while at camp and pictures of the facility available on our website. We have families who come back year after year and camp has become a key part of their visit.

If any readers have children that enjoyed our Camp during your visit, we would love to read your honest feedback as well.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Westin Maui Resort And Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!