“Wonderful family vacation hotel”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
WA
“Wonderful family vacation hotel”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Our family of four had a wonderful time at the Grand Wailea. We stayed from Feb. 8th through the 17th in the chapel wing on the ground floor room 0015. I had called and confirmed our reservation prior to arrival and requested a ground floor room and a microwave.
Upon arrival we were greeted with beautiful lei’s and the bellman took our bags while we checked in. The lady at the front desk was not friendly at all she was quite abrasive but we were in Maui and nothing was going to spoil our family vacation. After getting our room assignment, the bellman took us to our room which was in the chapel wing on the ground floor. The kids loved the Koi pond on the way to our room, the fish were huge. We arrived at our room and the bellman showed us around the room, got ice for us and answered any questions we had. I asked about our microwave and he said he would look into it. Very nice man, made up completely for the front desk lady.
The room was very spacious which I was glad we had the space with four of us in the room for 9 nights. Two queen beds a spacious bathroom with a separate bath and shower area. The rooms are a bit dated and worn a little but that did not bother my family. We didn’t spend much time in our room. After returning from the pool on the first day our microwave was on the counter and I was thankful. I did request a ground floor room, I was hoping for the lawn area for the extra space but there was a Kio pond instead. The kids loved it and my husband loved our ocean view from the Lanai. The Chapel wing is quite a walk to the pools but my kids are older so it was not a problem for our family. Overall, room was great for us.
The pools are wonderful, beware that it’s hard to leave this resort once you arrive. My kids wanted to spend every second at the pool. We actually would start our day at the beach and by the afternoon we were at the pool once the winds picked up. We got wristbands every morning and it was no problem, we only stood in line a couple of times. My kids had 10 wristbands up their arms and just took them off recently; it’s quite the conversational piece. There are 7 pools all connected with slides, we would found the top pool right away and that was our spot for entire time. There is also 2 bigger slides which you have to be 48inches to do down so if you are under 48inches you get a different color wristband. At first my daughter was bummed about having a different color wristband but then my husband and I went down the slide told her how fast and scary it was so she was fine. It is quite quick and fun for the older kids I’d say 8 years and up. The other slides are so fun for kids and adults, they have lifeguards at each slide and if your kiddos can wear lifejackets. The rope swing and lazy river didn’t have any restrictions either. All the pools connect with a blue slide so one can start at the top pool and slide down all the slides and end up at the start of the lazy river, then float around the lazy river and either walk to the top or wait for the water elevator. FUN…..not only for kids but adults too.
The beach is beautiful. The chairs and umbrellas are free to use. Your entire family must be at the beach desk to get a chair for each person. I tried one day to get 4 chairs and 2 umbrellas and the gal told me I had to bring my family over so she could see them. Humm…..I know everything is done for a reason but it was an irritant. The beach waves are perfect for boogie boarding for smaller kids. The sand is beautiful and great for sand castles. Overall, best beach on Maui in our opinion.
Restaurants/Shopping-We ate a the HumuHumu and had a good meal, the portions were small but the staff was incredible. We had 5:45 reservation for Valentine’s Day and they were so friendly. The host who sat us loved our kids and checked in with us during our meal. The waiter was so nice too, he was knowledgeable about the menu, from the keiki’s menu to the wine list he told us everything we needed to know! The general store and deli (Kula Café?) was a wonderful addition to the resort. We didn’t find it till the third day but I found some of the grocery items to be cheaper than Safeway. We actually went to the Deli and ordered food for our kids and took it back to the pool (the pool menu wasn’t good) when we ate lunch at the resort. We ate at the grand dining room once for breakfast which was spendy and smaller portions but was really good. Breakfast wasn’t included in our room so we actually went to the grocery store and got breakfast, snacks and some drinks to keep in our room. I highly recommend doing this if you want to cut down on the food expense especially with kids. The shopping is plentiful at the resort, anything from souvenirs to swimsuits you can find anything you want at the shops. I found some of the souvenirs at the resort cheaper than the ABC stores and the general store.
Luau- We booked the resort Luau and it was awesome, one of the highlights of our trip for our kids. My husband and I commented on how good the food was. We have been to three other Luau’s on Maui and thought the overall experience at this Luau was the best out of the three. We did upgrade to premium seating which I thought was worth the extra expense. Would highly recommend this Luau!!
Spa-Can’t comment because I didn’t use the spa but talking with a lot of people around the pool who did and they loved it. I walked through it and it’s beautiful.
Overall, this resort is wonderful for kids and fun for adults also. The resort is lovely and would highly recommend to anyone with children looking for a wonderful fun-filled family vacation. One side note is that the resort was quiet the first week we were there, about Valentine’s Day it picked up and it was hard to find chairs by the pool. President’s Day (winter break for schools) made the resort very busy. I would book this resort again in a heartbeat but in the off season, maybe Nov. Dec. or even Jan. to enjoy the whales as we did from our Lanai.

Room Tip: Chapel wing is quiet with great ocean views but quite a walk to the pool action!
3 Thank fopcookbook

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,300)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We visited in February to see the whales, but were dazzled by the Grand Wailea once again. This was our fourth visit and we love it more & more each time we're there. The location is perfect and beautiful, but the staff is what makes the hotel special to us. Daisy at the front desk was fantastic - she followed up our request and definitely exceeded our expectations! Zenith and Faye in Napua are gracious, welcoming and delightful. We looked forward to our evening chats with them. Miho at concierge is delightful, as well. She recognized us in the lobby one day - three years since our last visit. Incredible! In our opinion, it's the staff that makes the Grand Wailea so grand! Thank you everyone for a beautiful vacation - we'll be back soon!

Sacramento, California
Reviewed February 26, 2013

The exemplary service we received started the moment we arrived at the Grand Wailea. The valet service, registration, and guest services' hosts were gracious and welcoming. I cannot recall a more beautiful hotel, setting and location. Throughout our stay the hotel staff was friendly, helpful, and welcoming. Our room was very large and well designed for guest comfort. We ate at all three restaurants at the hotel and enjoyed a wonderful and varied dining experience. The highlights of our stay were walking the beautiful grounds each day, the pool and beach. I highly recommend the Spa Grande. Best Spa experience! Although we had a rental car, we spent 95% of our time at the hotel. There really was no need to leave this paradise. We look forward to returning and bringing our family with us.

Room Tip: A room on a higher level of the hotel to enjoy the view of the grounds and ocean.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed February 26, 2013

The GW did not meet our expectations for three main reasons. First, the atmosphere is not at all relaxing. My husband remarked that it felt like disney-land, fake Hawaii. Plus, there were serious lines for check-in. Second, the pool was great for the kids but a lot of work for us. We have 3 boys ages 5, 6 and 8. They can all swim but they couldn't stand anywhere (except the kiddie beach area that is not part of the water slide route). The pool is really a series of small pools connected by water slides, some with rushing water. We couldn't let the kids go by themselves because you cannot watch them from a single location. As a result, we couldn't sit by the pool and relax and let them swim. It was OK for one day but my kids had just as much fun at other pools where my husband and I could also enjoy ourselves. Third, the costs. Now, if you are staying at GW, you can afford a $17 kiddie hot dog by the pool. But its such a rip-off that it can ruin your good time. That is the real cost of a kid's hot dog. Everything is so absurdly priced it kind of ruins the mood.

2 Thank Carolyn G
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Overall it is an excellent place, the conceige is very helpful. House keeping is done through out the day. It is a great 5 star hotel. The scenary is breath taking. It is just a few minutes walk to local shops so it is quite convenient.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stay here almost every year, how much can I add to that. If there is a more beautiful place with more perfect weather anywhere else in the world, tell me where it i?

I love the Grand but it is not perfect, what is? It is very large. The rooms are very large and all have Lanais, there is a ton to do, the beach is great, and their are lots of restaurants within a 15 minute walk. If you want a lot of choices and variety, this place is for you (If you want something more intimate and personal the Four Seasons next door is a better choice).

I already have my reservation for next year and cannot wait to get back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Generally speaking the stay was ok however if you were to review it as a Waldorf Astoria i feel the hotel comes a bit short. The hotel has definitely invested a lot into this resort however i think it's huge size has been a detriment as it has not been able to create an exceptional experience by lacking the details. Rooms were nicely furnished and comfortable however maintenance is a major issue paint in sections of the bathroom roof were peeling off, cupboard doors wouldn't open fully, and the refrigerator door partition would not close. the little touches that make a room special were missing such things as chocolates with turndown service or even the luxurious towels i'd expect of 5 star hotels. The bath towel quality were inconsistent one day we would get a horrible thin towel and the next day a plush nice one you would expect of Waldorf Astoria.

There were a huge number of pools enough to keep the kids and adults busy. The beach was very nice and shared with four seasons. It was a public beach so was extremely busy. The food in the resort was quite expensive however the Amasia fine dining restaurant was actually quite reasonable. Amasia had good quality food and i found worked out cheaper than eating at the other resort restaurants. There is a shopping centre with restaurants and general store right next door which was quite convenient.

The resort seems to offer membership which allow significant discounts to best room rates and food of i think up to 20 or 30% which would bring prices more so in line with fair prices but im sure this membership would have come at a significant cost.

As a tip to would be travellers avoid this hotel during peak seasons or holidays at all costs. i was here during presidents day weekend and the hotel was utterly full, nowhere to eat at the resort restaurants for dinner and nowhere to sit on beach or near pools. I'd probably only recommend this hotel to families with kids. couples might be better off at four seasons or fairmont that are both pretty close by.

Overall an ok stay just lacks all the little details to make the place truly worthy of the Waldorf Astoria name.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank pest_mik
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
#2 of 8 in Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!