“Here for a Convention/Conference”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I am currently here at the hotel for a conference. The size of the conference is about 800 people - many with their families here as well. So remember that they cater to conferences...if you are coming here for a vacation do you want to have these types of activities going on as well. As a Hilton Diamond member, I was upgraded upon arrival to a very nice room on the 9th floor with a great view of the ocean. The room is very clean - nice amenities, nice seating on the patio. Not only a great view of the ocean, but also a great view of the gardens and chapel. The furniture in the room is nice - having stayed at the Waldort in Rome this past summer, I'd say that this property needs to step up if they want to keep up with some of their other properties. I have used the gym a couple of times already and it is fantastic - lots of machines, etc. Did preview the spa this morning and have an appt set up for tomorrow afternoon. As a Diamond member, I was provided with a 20% discount on spa services. They do "nickel and dime" you here - but what resort doesn't. As a native Floridian who loves the Gulf Coast...I still have to say St Pete Beach, Sanibel, etc., have it over the beach here at this hotel. First, no alcohol is allowed on the beach - if you want to drink on the beach, go elsewhere! I love to take long walks on the beach (a couple of miles) - Unless you want to add some rock climbing to your walk here, you can walk from one end to the other in just a few minutes. The pools here are great - especially for small children. Group of teens were headed out this morning for long boarding right off the beach - great activity for them. Plus great hikes in the area.
Many reviews in the past mentioned that the staff are not polite, etc. I haven't found that - remember, a smile and polite manners go both ways. They have been extremely helpful here and my check-in was a very pleasant process. Even followed up with a phone call once I was in my room to make sure everything was perfect. Housekeeping came today, and I always leave a tip - the room was perfect when I returned. I'm sure it would have been even without the tip, but something that I always do.
Did run over to the Wailea Shops next door upon arrival. There is an ABC store there and some of the items (water, beverages to include liquor, wine, food, etc) are cheaper than the market store here on the property. About a miles walk away is another shopping area with some great little restaurants, a wine shop and a Subway sandwich shop - about a 15 minute walk away. And, being Maui, it's a beautiful walk!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank tpa2az
Write a ReviewReviews (6,740)

Reviewed January 14, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Grand Wailea over the Thanksgiving holiday just recently. Up until the day we checked out I would say the experience was good to excellent overall. Service from the front desk staff was pleasant and we all had a good time hanging out at their very nice pool/playground.

Unfortunately on our check out day we had the bell staff come and get our bags and store them for us until we left the resort around dinner time that night. Since it was a day by the pool, and we could still room charge, we left our wallets in our bags along with many other electronics. When the bell desk brought our bags to our car and I grabbed my wallet out of my bag to tip him, all the cash was missing (over $300) along with a pair of nice sunglasses. To top it off, we gave the bell man a very nice tip for coming and getting our bags and my kids thanked him for helping personally.

We just received a boiler plate letter that they are taking no responsiblity for this and quoting the statute that they aren't ressponsible since they post signs saying that the front desk has safe's available; nevermind that we actually never saw the sign and it is certainly not conspicuous. The point is their staff person stole from a guest and they are choosing to hide behind a statute and lose a long time customer. Not to mention the manager their never returned my calls over 3 months prior to receivinig the letter from their insurance. We have stayed at the resort almost everytime we have visited the island which is every other year for the past 20 years.

As the title of this review says "Disappointed" from Oregon.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank Tim403
Reviewed January 13, 2013

My family of four stayed at the resort for six night for the Christmas and New Years holiday. We did book using Hilton Honor points for the entire stay. I have gold status - didn't get an upgrade (wasn't expecting, especially over the holiday) but the resort fee was waived, got a few coupons for $40 off dinner one night and two free drinks.

The resort is huge and beautiful. At first it was a little overwhelming but once you got the lay of the land, it was easy to get around. The staff was great and paid attention to us from the valet to the check in and the rooms.

The we had a room overlooking the parking lot/mountain. It was a very big room which was nice for 4 people. 2 queen beds, a little chair and a great sized bathroom. Nice to have a separate shower and tub. The mini fridge was nice for beverages and the like.

The pool and beach area was huge. Great pools for the kids and an adult only pool. The chairs with shade go fast, so get there early. It's nice they police their one-hour rule so people don't hog chairs all day. There are plenty of chairs on the lawn, but the pool ones fill up quickly.

The food choices were all good, but expensive (it's Hawaii and a high-end resort so I expected it). We did stop at Costco and Foodland to pick up some drinks and basics to cut down the cost of eating all meals at the resort. The mall is a 5 minute walk and have upscale dining as well as a burger place.

The National Car rental on property was nice so I didn't have to keep a car the entire time. I just picked up one up at the airport and dropped off at the hotel and the same for returning.

Fireworks on New Years Eve was a nice touch.

We loved the resort, just be ready to pay for the service and food there.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank PennStateFan
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Grand Wailea is located in Wailea, Maui one of the best spots in Hawaii. GW is a quite big place equipped with a variety of amenities. The rooms are clean and employees are nice. The hotel also has a shopping mall. If you want to buy your Hawaiian shirt in Maui, there is a neighbor mall that offers all the customs for better prices. Overall, I think you won't encounter any problem. The only reason I'm giving 4* is that it doesn't give you that luxury feeling! Hope you enjoy your romantic trip...

Room Tip: Ocean view room on the ninth floor was awesome!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Stayed here for a conference, which helped a lot on the cost of the room and extras, which are normally very high. Location and grounds are very nice--nice pools and excellent huge sand beach. In addition to good resort amenities, the hotel is one that is starting to "get it" for technology support of connected travelers and convention-goers. My room, 8th floor south wing: Lamp outlets on both sides of the bed for charging phones, and four outlets at the desk for computers, etc. Both wired and wireless Internet is available (included in the resort fee for our conference). A slide-out desk table on rollers is very handy for spreading-out space. Beautiful granite bathroom with oversize tub and separate all-glass shower. Fridge and coffee maker but no microwave. Housekeeping both morning and evening was very good.

Room Tip: High floors should have a good view facing any direction.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TechieTravelerIdaho
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Just recently returned home from a family vacation stay at the Waldorf Astoria Grand Wailea. The luxurious hotel accommodations and staff were truly amazing. Stayed in the Napua Tower, the room was well appointed and had great views from the balcony. This hotel was extremely impressive to say the least. The pools and grounds were beautiful and the beach was great. Staff was friendly and always available to meet every need. Easy access for a dip into the Pacific Ocean for a refreshing swim. No worries! Grand Wailea was truly a great experience for my family and I.

Room Tip: Stay in the Napua Tower upper floors, i.e. 8 or 9 for continental breakfast and happy hour in execut...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Very "grand" lobby with very shoddy/standard rooms. Paying this much should mean you get something for your money. After I saw the room I told myself it was OK, because the grounds and staff and everything else were going to make up for it. Yeah, amazing water park, but you can't get a chair, way too many people, and the staff is truly some of the worst I have ever experienced. They charge as if they are a 5 star resort, but very truly what you are getting is 3 star at best. Too many better places to stay on the island.
Avoid this place at all costs unless you like to pay to much, get treated like you are a nuisance, and generally feel ripped off.
Never again for us.

Room Tip: Better off with a blanket on the beach.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Jason M
blynx1, Director of Sales at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Aloha Readers and Reviewers,

We are truly sorry for the unsatisfactory visit this reviewer had. It,s unfortunate that we didn't have an opportunity to address his concerns during this guests stay.

We regularly monitor our reviews and are delighted by the overwhelmingly positive comments our staff receives.

It is true that we have a lot of visitors each day at our beach and pool areas, especially over the holidays and finding a chair in the guests preferred location isn't always readily available. What this reviewer might not know, and what I am delighted to share with our guests reading this review, is that we have Pool Ambassadors stationed all around our pool decks that will find and set up chairs for you so that our guests don't have to spend any of their vacation time looking. Not only will our Pool Ambassadors find our guests chairs, but they can assist with any question or need they might have while enjoying the pools.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 8 in Wailea

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!