“Napua Tower A Wailea Beach Beauty”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I have stayed at the Grand Wailea several times. I was very impressed with the Napua Tower. It is a card entry wing of the resort. The large beautiful room was well maintained and with a view that is so breathtaking... I found the included continental breakfast to be above my expectations. The cookies and tea in the afternoon were also a great addition to the Napua Tower. The evening cocktails were more like a mini meal. Beautiful cheeses and fruit as well as the signature Napua Punch.
I had the opportunity to dine at the Humuhumu restaurant. I had the Surf and Turf. It was outstanding as usual. I was also able to enjoy Chef Alan Wong's new restaurant Amasia. It was a spectacular tour of many different asian inspired foods. I was able to enjoy many asian dishes I had never thought I would try. I loved it. There is also traditional sushi and grilled skewers etc... I wanted to go international with my meal and it was a delightful introduction to Amasia and it's wide variety. I hope to return to the Napua Tower and it's excellence soon.

Room Tip: I personally like a room above the check in desk. The higher floors have a beautiful view of Lani a...
5  Thank LadyJbug

Reviewed July 5, 2012

So many previous reviewers got it right. The Grand Wailea isn't as grand as it used to be, and management should seriously start to make changes to this once upscale property. We just returned from a five night stay -- and while we had an amazing time -- after all it is Maui -- I wanted to share my review to help other families who are planning their vacation. We were at the same property just two summer's ago and it has changed significantly. Currently, it has the same frenetic feel of Disney World value properties -- which is extremely unfortunate due to the fact that it is situated on a beautiful piece of property in Wailea with breath taking views. The service at the bar and restaurants is horrible. Don't bother and go explore Maui's fine restaurants while you are there -- you're paying $30 valet charge each day, might as well use it! The pools are so over crowded and it is true you need to get there by 7 am to reserve your beach chair or you won't even have a spot to sit -- among the thousands of beach chairs that are situated everywhere near a pool area -- even on the lawn! I imagine if you get a free room due to Hilton Honor Points, go and enjoy but if you are paying and looking for an upscale resort in Wailea consider the Four Seasons or Fairmont. Makena Golf Resort just 5 minutes away is also much more sophisticated without tons of children and an entertaining astromony show on Monday nights. Maui amazing -- Grand Wailea not so much. Management would be wise to read the reviews on trip advisor and make some fast changes to a once upscale property.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
12  Thank dnnao
Reviewed July 5, 2012

It's taken me some time to write this review, but I wanted to make sure I did since it seems we've become regulars! We just stayed at the Grand Wailea for the third time this past January. We've gone once as a couple and the last two Januarys as a family. We have an 11 year old girl and 8 year old boy and I can't think of a better place to stay in Maui with the kids.

I should say that we were fortunate the last two years to stay in the Napua Club and it made all the difference in the world for breakfast and late afternoon snacks/drinks. If you can swing it, I'd recommend it. The breakfast isn't everything you'd want, but it's enough and you get away without having to spend Hawaii prices for three meals a day! We had ocean views as well and that really can make a huge difference in your vacation experience.

The bottom line is the kids loved the pools and the beach. We've stayed at the Four Seasons as well next door and for family time, the Grand Wailea pool is the best you can get. The slides and the rope swing are great and it was perfect to let the kids go while we had some relaxation time pool side. The service was adequate and I think the thing you need to realize is that this is a Hawaii mega resort, so you'll pay $15 for a drink and $8 for a beer. It is going to cost more to eat and drink on this resort, but there are plenty of local options for dining that can save you money if that's what you need to do.

The beach is amazing and of all the places we've traveled, I think the view from this beach is the best I've seen. With Molokini and Lanai perced as the back drop, the sunsets are amazing and you could spend all day out here. We did many water activities and I'd recommend taking as many opportunities to experience Hawaii from the water.

The resort overall is in great shape and the grounds are amazing. The spa is fantastic and the Humuhumu....etc., etc. restaurant on site is really good as well. I can see why some folks might complain about a property like this because it is so big and there are service issues at times, but you really need to know what you're getting here. This is an active resort with lots of options and people around at times. There is an adults olnly pool area that you can escape to if need be.

The Wailea area of Maui is fantastic and our favorite of any location in Hawaii. We've been to every island and this is our favorite. Have fun and enjoy the sun. You won't be upset, unless you're a couple looking to be totally secluded for a week. This is a bit more busy and you may be upset if that's your expectation. We are coming back and will continue to be happy guests at the Grand Wailea!

Room Tip: Try to get to the Napua Tower rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank ericrbest
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We generally like smaller hotels. Booked a vacation here because of our fourth grade son.
Massive, beautiful property and grounds. Room was large and well-equipped. My beef was the lack of personalized service. We went to the pool the first day here with our young son (who loves the pool). Because the pool is open to other hotels, it is too crowded. All the comments about not being able to get a seat at the pool are true. You have to wait in a line to get a wrist band. I swam in the pool and then went to the golf course and played a quick round of golf (at the resort course). I made the mistake of cutting off my wrist band before golfing. When I returned to the pool to rejoin my family, I waited in line. I told the woman that I needed a new band. She said, sorry, only one per guest per day. She knew who I was because I gave her my name and room number. She continued to say, no exceptions. I asked to speak with her manager. Her manager was more abrupt -- no exceptions. Just spoke with hotel manager, Mr. Hernandez, who advised me that since there are 3000(!) guests at the pool each day, they can't make exceptions.
My other beef was the concierege who told me that she would schedule reservations at Mama's Fish House and never did.
Consider staying at the Four Seasons or Kea Lani and using the pool. You'll get to use the Grand Wailea pool and probably have better treatment.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
16  Thank HumboldtTravel
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Grand Wailea Resort was FUN! the room was aweome, Valet servie was great, Reort is Beautiful with lots of accomodations, im saddeni did not get to see the entire Resort but i do plan to get married there. Pools was fun, we got to see omilus, ukus, mullets and other reef fish at the Humuhumnukuapuaa restaurant. Service was very nice; room service, housekeepers and bell boys. The beach is right there so when you want to you can just walk right over to a beautiful sand beach with a nice shore break. The Bar was also beautiful and the service was pleasant. Price was high but all worth it. They got lots of shops and beautiful views around. Lcation is awesome, away but yet near, so your not stuck out there. Rooms were beautiful and th bed was so comfrtable. Lots of activities for all ages and they had a volley ball net in one of the pools. Tey have a awesome wedding package too that i hope to use one day. Thank you Mr. Matt Bailey for a wonderful saty!!!

Reviewed July 3, 2012

The Grand Wailea is the ultimate place to stay with your family in Maui. It is a very nice hotel but never once do they make you feel like your kids are an annoyance. The entrance is grand. Leis and a cool towel and some amazing juice. The rooms are grand. Spacious and very clean. The pools and waterslides and beach are grand. Grand! Grand! Grand!

The water slides and rope swing were favorites for all of our kids. My favorite thing about the Grand Wailea is that they don't have a gazillion rules and restrictions. You are in Hawaii. Hang loose. The whole family can go down almost all of the waterslides and off the rope swing. Our daredevil 2 year old did the rope swing. Woot! Our 5 month old went down the slides in her daddy's arms. Woot woot!

So many resorts have height requirements, weight requirements, swim requirements, what did you have for breakfast requirements...ugh. But here the rules make perfect sense. There is one larger slide with a height requirement and they are sticklers on that, but everything else goes. And that is what my kids did. Go go go. And we were all go go going together. Instead of splitting up our family by height.

Another shout out to the GW - the water is warm. In the ocean and the pool. They can't control the ocean temperature (maybe they can...that would be especially grand) but the water they do control is a nice temp. A stay in the pool all day temp...whatever that is.

The beach is amazing. Picture this -short little mama me pushing a stroller with a baby and beach toys and sand toys and snacks and towels and a toddler who wants to be carried and a five year old who thinks it is taking WAY too long for us to get out to the beach. Enter nice beach staff man who asks me how many lounge chairs I want, how many umbrellas I need, where I want them on the beach and how else can he help me? Marry me. Just kidding. I love my husband. But I also love a helpful staff. And the service was free. Part of your grand stay.

One more thing about the beach (I really love this place...is it too obvious?) you don't have to be down at the crack of dawn sprawling your stuff on every other chair saving a good spot until you are ready to play for the day. Just sleep in. Enjoy breakfast. Shave your legs. And when you are ready head down to the chair-umbrella-hero and pick out your spot.

There are plenty of good places to eat with your family close to the hotel. The valet parking was seamless. You call for your car from your room and they have it ready for you (with bottled water for everyone) as soon as you are to the lobby.

Another great service this hotel offers is a complementary room to shower and change in before your flight. A lot of flights leave Maui late evening, but check out is early afternoon. We wanted to take full advantage of our stay there and so they held our bags locked safely away somewhere until we were ready to clean up for the flight. We were sandy and beachie and they handed us a key and off we went to a nice room to get ready. They are all about taking care of you.
More info here http://www.onourbeatenpath.com/2012/07/extraordinary-grand-wailea.html

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank HavKidsWilTravel
Reviewed July 2, 2012

My husband, kids and I just returned from GW yesterday after our 7th visit to this property. Each time we have the same thoughts and so I thought I would share them. First the Pros: It's an exceptional property in all regards. The tropical landscaping, the beautiful sandy beach and amazing pools. It's really a spectacular place. Now the Cons: This visit we noticed the resort looked very tired as compared to previous visits. The rooms could use some updating....they are very functional but the bathrooms haven't been updated since we first started visitng there. The pool looked like it needs a major renovation. The plaster on the main pools appears dirty and the tiles surrounding the whole pool area are falling off to expose ugly concrete. This isnt' in just one place but many, many places. This is the major attraction of the resort and it would seem they would want to keep it looking fresh. The area surrounding the pools doesn't seem to match the Waldorf Astoria standards. The biggest problem my husband and I have with the resort is the service. He summed it up nicely by saying they seem to purposely give you the impression that they could care less that you are a guest. Every single time we've checked in we've inquired about room upgrades and are told the resort is "fully committed". We are Hilton Honors Members as well as original Grand Wailea Members and have never received anything for either of these "privledges". The check-in attendant is never accomodating. Never. This visit was no exception. We had friends that wanted to extend their stay by a day or two and had been there for a full week and they were told there were no rooms. It seems almost impossible to me that there is not one single room available.
There are several trip advisor reviews that mention the resort fees etc and our experience is the same. We had 2 connecting rooms with our teenage sons and were charged $50/night for connecting rooms. On top of that we had the $25/night resort fee (for the priviledge of making local calls), and then the $30/night mandatory valet fee even though we got our car from the valet once during the whole stay. This time we had an even newer fee...$50/stay porterage fee. We can easily handle our suitcases ourself but this is a mandatory charge. This is absurd for 4 small bags. To make matters worse the bell hops are angered if you don't tip them ON TOP OF THAT!!! We continue to go to GW because of the beauty of the place and we now go, fully knowing that we will be gouged at every turn. I would rather have my daily room rate go up to make all these costs inclusive rather than have them nickel and dime me.
After returning from this trip my husband and I decided we would look in to some of the other properties in Wailea for our next trip. There are equally nice resorts in the same area and they seem to be much more service oriented and may actually want our business.

17  Thank arunkat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Four Seasons
Four Seasons
#2 of 8 in Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!