“Excellent, as always” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Wailea
new york
“Excellent, as always”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2008

This was our 3rd stay for our family at the GWR and found it to remain one in top knotch condition. Last time (Aug, '06) we stayed in the Napua Tower, but this time didn't and the only main difference I could tell was we didn't get the free food there, but the rooms weren't much different. Check in was quick and the people/service were great.

The kids loved the pool and we loved the beach, although some days couldn't get a lounge chair if we came after 11am. The rooms were clean and a good size.

We used Nanny Connection via the hotel for baby sitters for our younger kids and they were professional and the children had a great time, putting us at ease.

The restaurants were solid and Bistro Molokini seems to have upgraded its menu since our last trip. We also went to Kincha (Japanese) wh/ everyone enjoyed. The Shops at Wailea are a five minute walk away and had several good restaurants and shops.

The concierges were helpful and would strongly recommend that if you go around Xmas holiday, you book reservations in advance as things fill up pretty quickly then (less of an issue in Aug).

• Liked — Pool/Beach
  • Disliked — Large property - distance to pool
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank travelwithkids_7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2007

Overall we had a wonderful time during both our visits. The hotel and grounds are gorgeous and the rooms are lovely with nice amenities. The pools are amazing and the beach is stunning.

note... We loved our room, and had great room service and attendants, but must mention that with an 11-yr old it didn't provide much privacy with the all glass shower in bathroom, or with both the beds in the same room.

Complaints...

1. For the money charged the food was average & cost of drinks ($12 mai tais) and meals in the restaurants is OUTRAGEOUS - ie... our dinner for 2 adults/1child was almost $300! May we recommend Duo or Nicks instead - these are well worth a $300 dinner.

2. No rooms ready for over 2 hours after check in time, and no luggage access during this period. It was uncomfortably hot "in limbo" as there are no air conditioned lounges to wait in in travel clothes.

3. There were VERY LOUD corporate parties going on outdoors in the open space near the chapel almost nightly. It was terrible and not very relaxing to lie in bed and listen to booming disco/rock bands at 10p at night in peaceful hawaii, especially when you're exhausted from the sun and pools and your kids are trying to sleep.

4. Pillows are awful! The worst nights sleep we've ever had in a hotel and we travel a lot! My husband drove all the way to Kahalui (over an hour there and back) the next day and purchased pillows.

We visit Hawaii often & I must say with all it's grandeur, pools, and amenities the two things the GW lack are a solid sense of relaxation, and a true hawaiian spirit so prominent in other hotels nearby. ie... the bar at the pool plays rock and roll all day (like in vegas) and not hawaiian music.

Honestly if it weren't for the pools we would stay at one of the more serene hotels in Wailea, but with an 11 yr old we admit we will be back for the pools.

• Liked — Pools, Grounds, Service
  • Disliked — Noise, Room not being ready for hours, and Room not conducive to privacy w/kids
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank RealEstateDiva
Aloha, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2007

I've stayed at the Grand Wailea in November or December for about a week each of the last three years. The hotel is simply fabulous. The rooms I've stayed in were all large and comfortable with large bathrooms with a huge bathtub and separate shower. All have had excellent ocean views. Drinking a little wine with my spouse on the lanai (balcony) while watching the sun go down and then going to sleep listening to the surf borders on a religious experience. The hotel grounds are inviting and well maintained. There is easy access to the beach and ocean, though I've tended to spend more time enjoying the numerous, connected hotel pools and various water slides. The hotel restaurants are nice though (as expected) more pricey than some excellent dining choices available in Wailea (the Cafe O'Lei, Sansei, Roy's are all highly recommended). Aloaha!

• Liked — Excellent hotel in excdellent location
  • Disliked — ?
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank IMJustVisiting
La Jolla, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2007

If you are looking for a high-quality, hassle free luxury family experience, keep driving past the Grand Wailea. The place is oversized, impersonal and overrated.

We were told that the water feature at the Grand Wailea was not to be missed if you have children, so we booked a couple of nights there during our trip to Maui.

Our room, by no means the least expensive, smelled of mildew and mold and was outdated and small. The bathroom was antiquated with none of the conveniences you would expect at a 4 star resort.

But let's assume that the room quality didn't matter because your intention was to be at the beach or "water park." Well, those were a let down, too. The pool was so crowded, you could see oil from people's sunblock and beach debris in it.

The lines for the slide, water elevator and rope swing were long and not worth waiting for. And forget about finding a chair, much less one in the shade. The lounge chairs were packed in rows, with people crowded together, their towels and magazines all over the place. And there were no pool attendants in site to assist. The cost of a Diet Coke? $7.50! So... we moved to the beach where we found much of the same.

The Grand Wailea reminded me of Disneyland on a filled-to-capacity day. Some people swear by it, but for our famiy, we'll stick to something a little more upscale, service-oriented and serene.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Crowded, dirty and overpriced
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
7 Thank LaJollaJoe
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2007

We stayed here in October - a friend recommended this hotel to us when her company paid for her family to stay here.

First, the hotel is beautiful. We stayed in the deluxe ocean room with stunning views of the ocean (you can easily see Molokini crater). It's so relaxing just hanging out on the lanai and taking it all in. The room was large and very clean - we loved our room. We paid about $700/night.

The pool was crazy which is to be expected. Tons of kids running around and very packed. We had a good time, but for a couple, it was way too much. One day was enough. They have a great water slide, a rope swing mostly for kids, rushing rapids, lazy river, and a water elevator (not sure what the big deal is about that one). If you bring your kids, you will be a hero if you stay here. But for a couple, you will most likely want more peace and quiet!

The resort fee at $25 is unreasonable. I would expect a much better valet - believe me, this will frustrate you. They charge you for valet ($15 a day) and if you choose not to pay this ridiciulous fee, you self-park down the street. Good luck finding a parking spot there. It was disappointing.

Overall, we would not return as a couple. It wasn't special enough for us to match the price tag (sorry). I have no problem spending $700/night, but it has to be special. But I will end with this - if your company is paying for it and you have kids, you will probably love it.

Stayed October 2007
6 Thank RLSAR
So Cal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2007

I spent a lot of time reading on-line reviews. My husband and I stayed at the GW in 2004 and had a terrific time. However, the recent reviews I read made me a little nervous about the coming vacation. Mainly, that the property has not aged well, the daily expenses were exhorbitant and service not up to resort standards.

I booked the 7-day vacation via my Hilton Honors points. (300,000 points for six nights - and this was a discounted time to stay - it's usually 80,000 per night!) Although we had been upgraded from a terrace view to a king ocean view, we decided to upgrade to the Napua Tower for a fee of $150 per night. The regular guest rooms are not larger but there is a breakfast and evening cocktail hour included daily. We were traveling with our 3-year old and the conveniences in the Tower made the upgrade fee more than worthwhile.

Check-in took less than 10 minutes - this because I requested the upgrade and the counter-person took the time to describe the rooms available and various locations. I counted no less than 8 bellman standing by to assist in delivering bags to the rooms. Although we waited one hour for the room we selected, our bags (and items that needed to be refridgerated) were delivered immediately.

The room was beautiful and the view was breathtaking; we had both a mountain and ocean view from room #9057. The teak furniture on the lanai was very comfortable; the flat-screen TV in the bedroom area was very nice. The bathrooms in the tower are very spacious with an over-sized bath and glass-enclosed shower. (I did notice a bit of wear and tear in the shower tiles and there was a broken sprayer my son would have loved to play with during his one-hour baths in the deep tub.) There is twice daily maid service where they replace the ammenties and towels. The bed is typical of a Hilton featuring a feather bed mattress cover, feather pillows and very nice linens. I only made coffee once in the room as they serve the same 10% Kona coffee we had at the Marriott on Hawaii. It's really awful! But, they served Starbuck's coffee each morning on the 7th floor along with the breakfast. Much better!

Napua Club Tower: Breakfast included platters of fresh fruit, homemade granola and oatmeal along with a nice assortment of other boxed breakfast cereals, a hot egg-based dish each day, and a large assortment of pastries. They offered coffee, milk and juices. There was an assortment of national newspapers for those interested in keeping up with the outside world. The nightly happy hour offered an open bar and hot and cold appetizers including: chips, salsa, guacamole, cheese displays, stuffed mushrooms, beef kabobs, chicken tenders, spanikopita-type hors d'eouvres, etc. There were a couple of nights when we passed on going out to dinner because of the menu offered at the Tower. We ate every breakfast on the 7th floor. It's a great way to save up for the expensive dinners!

We expected high prices on Maui. (This was our fourth trip to the island.) In fact, we stopped at the Safeway in Kihei and picked up some groceries before we checked into the GW - a half-gallon of milk was $6.79!!! So, paying $12 for a Mai Tai and $15 for a burger was not a shock. I think there are many more affordable ways to visit this place - renting a condo and cooking the daily meals a couple of years ago worked great when we brought the in-laws - it all depends on the type of experience you're seeking. We averaged $200 a day for food and snacks. (One dinner at the Four Seasons was $260 including gratuity.) You pay to play....

We had no problems finding chaise lounges by the pool. (The week after Thanksgiving is not very busy.) However, all of the palapa umbrellas were occupied. We thought about spending $275 for a cabana but we never spent more than a couple of hours poolside and decided it was not necessary. I will comment that they definitely overcharge for that ammenity considering there are no TVs, telephones, or couches that typically are included in a cabana in that price range. In addition, for the 5 days we spent time by the pool we were only approached twice by a waiter. We served ourselves at the Volcano Bar so we didn't miss this service too much. But, it's definitely an area they should improve upon.

So, I won't complain about the daily resort fees, cost of day excursions, meals, etc. If you want to stay at a resort on this island, it's going to cost you. Service was always prompt and courteous with the exception of the pool area. And, that, only because there were obviously not enough servers versus bad servers.

The reason for our rating being "Above Average" versus "Excellent" is as follows:

- Complimentary wireless access in guest rooms is becoming a standard they should follow. I also had to pay $14.95 extra for the hard-wired connection to support a VPN connection. I couldn't access my business account without it. They do offer complimentary standard high-speed connectivity via a very short ethernet set-up.
- It's obviously an older, very large property that requires constant and costly upkeep. It would be such a shame for this hotel to end up in disrepair. The guest rooms need more attention to make it sparkle.
- Poolside service is almost non-existent. I'm guessing it would only take the sale of 4 or 5 mai tais to cover the hourly expense of a server. There are a lot of thirsty guests out there to help cover labor costs.

In closing, our family plans on making this an annual Thanksgiving holiday trip. We would highly recommend a Napua Tower stay to anyone interested in paying a little more for a lot more comfort and service.

• Liked — Views and ammenities
  • Disliked — Bathroom needed a little attention. Otherwise, a wonderful experience.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
15 Thank CapFam
GrandWaileaResort, Public Relations Manager at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this review, December 10, 2007
On behalf of the Grand Wailea Resort, I would like to thank “CapFam” for the fair review. We appreciate the acknowledgement of the strengths of Grand Wailea’s offerings and services, as well as noting areas for improvement, which is equally welcome. Regarding the recommended improvements, we are pleased to inform CapFam, as well as readers of TripAdvisor and future guests that the Grand Wailea is investing more than $50 million on numerous renovation projects including the refurbishment of all 780 guest rooms. The project will allow us to continue providing exceptional facilities and services that CapFam has kindly mentioned. For our future guests, please know that the restoration which begins in February of 2008 will have minimal impact as work will be conducted building by building and areas not affected by the restoration will remain open.
San Diego
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2007

Picture this: Jumping out of bed at 6:30 a.m.to be in line at the pool by 6:45 to get a place in line. Waiting for the staff to drop the rope and RUNNING to get a chaise. Hint: go for the chair, not line up for towels first as I did. Even though I got there early I wasn't quick enough and ended up in the back row between the garbage cans and the bathrooms. I am not kidding when I say that by 7:15 all the chairs were gone.(the waterslide opens at 10:00). Don't even think about shade because there isn't any outside of the $275.00 cabanas (which were totally booked all week) or a few palapas which somehow didn't block any sun at all. They offer no umbrellas, only blazing sun all day...There really is no shade anywhere. That will, of course, only be a problem if you are lucky enough to actually get a lounge chair. There didn't seem to be enough chairs for the number of guests needing them. The lounge chairs were pretty dirty too. I had to clean the bird droppings off myself.

The rooms were adequate enough and at least free from visible mold. We did smell it though. The sticky remote control and spotty bathroom handles prompted me to buy a can of Lysol to give the rooms a good disinfection. We paid over $750.00 for each of our two rooms plus they had the nerve to add $25.00 a night connecting charge. That would be to open the doors between the rooms. There also is a $25.00 per room "Resort Fee" each day to use the resort that you are paying to stay at. Go figure. Our supposed internet connection (part of the resort fee) didn't work so I was forced to use the business center at $3.50 for each 5 minutes on the computer. The game room required quarters to use most of games. All this I would expect at lesser quality property, but not at these prices. I found the nickel and dimeing for everything really objectionable. For the same money (or less) I would definately stay at a Four Seasons. Much better quality, service and value for money but of course, they don't have the water slide. As far as I am concerned, the water slide is the only reason to even set foot on this property.

• Liked — kids loved waterslide for about 2 days and then got bored with it.
  • Disliked — crowds, charging for every possible thing that could be charged.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
16 Thank JPBSanDiego
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 31 in Lahaina
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Westin Maui Resort And Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!