“Wonderful trip to Paradise”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed November 3, 2011

I just got back from a week at the Grand Wailea. My experience with the hotel couldn't have been better. I was greeted with a beautiful lei upon arrival. The staff was always friendly and accomodating. When Valet brought my car, I was always furnished cold water and was always asked if I needed directions. The grounds are immaculate and breathtaking. I can't imagine any hotel ever topping my experience at the Grand Wailea.

My bed was turned down nightly with a flower and a good-night card.

I overbooked myself with tours. Next time I believe I could spend the entire week at the GW.

Pam K
Ft Worth, TX

Room Tip: I had a ocean view, but I believe that any view would be beautiful.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank wndsong

Reviewed November 3, 2011

My husband and I stayed 5 nights at the Grand Wailea Oct. 3-8. We had a wonderful stay. When we arrived we were warmly greeted by "Rose" with a fresh flower Lei. Our check in was great with Christina...we were given a roon in the "NAPUA tower" which was wonderful. Our room was beautiful with and ocean view although not a sunset view which would have been even better but we are not complaining as it was still wonderful. The rooms are large with comfortable beds, a large Lanai and a large bathroom with a huge tub and seperate shower. In the Napua tower you get complimentary breakfast and happy hour every day. Both were very good. The breakfast always offered at least one hot item and plenty of fresh fruits, breads, cheeses ect. the happy hour we really loved...in part because of the Hostess 'Zenith" after the first night she knew us by name and would bring us fresh drinks without even having to walk up to the bar. She was so cheerful and fun! again there was always a hot appetizer and lots of finger foods. The lobby at the Grand Wailea is amazing...open air with a main bar that we went to every night. The bartender "KEONIE" was fantastic...so much fun and so welcomimg and again knew our names and drinks by the 2nd night. the managment should be very proud to have employess like him and Zenith among others. THE POOL...Huge and fun...I don't know if i would be so enthusiastic about it during high season but we were there when it was not horribly crowded and there was always a chair to be had and we had fun on the slides. I would say it is a little overwhelming but still fun. We loved the grotto bar and the bartender that was there most days..i can not remember his name but he was great. A downside...we had friends staying on different parts of the island and we wanted to have them over to ''show off" our resort! We totally understand the wrist band deal..we were told there was really no exceptions and no guests were allowed w/o a hefty charge. They said we could rent a cabana and then have the guests. the only cabana that would accomadate all of us was the "super cabana" the charge for the day was $1000.00...YIKES! After some talking we were given a price of $800.00 for the day (still..YIKES, especially because it was not crowded and there were plenty of empty cabanas!) With this price came, water, soda and a platter of sandwhiches...it was difficult to get service from the cabana people but the pool bar waiter "Adrian" waited on us for drinks we purchased and he was fabulous! Next time we will just know that we will not invite any guests!!! We ate dinner one night at Humus for our anniversary and we LOVED it! We can't wait to go back to the Grand Wailea! i know I have missed some things but all in all a great vacation! (beautiful beaches, less crowded then kaanapali) Eat breakfast next door at Lohngi's at the shops at Wailea..really good and the shops are amazing. pretty walk as well. The whole beach walk in the front of the reorts is just lovely. We went next door to the four Seasons for dinner one night..VERY expensive and not as good as Humu's in our opinion! We felt at home at the GW!!!! Good job to most of the employess there!

1  Thank Allyson M
Reviewed November 3, 2011

I stayed at the Grand Wailea for one week during the week of October 22. The surroundings are just incredible - paradis. The beach is clean and there are enough chairs, the pool are is just beautiful but very noisy.

This is a family resort - not the best place to go if you want a relax couples retreat. There were a lot of small children and the pool area is great if it's a family trip.

Everything is very expensive but not worth the extra money. We finally went into town to buy some water, drinks and snacks because it is very expensive at the hotel. The restaurants are good but once again expense. At the Molokini, you can expect to pay 60$ for a lunch for two and at the Humahuma restaurant is delicious but expect to pay 250$ for a supper for two with wine (not the most expensive bottle).

The staff is extremely friendly and helpful.

Car Rental beware: we rented a car for a trip to Hana and were unpleasantly surprised to find out that we could not return the car directly (which we were not told) and had to pay an extra 25$ for valet parking. Rent your car at the airport, it will be cheaper.

Scuba Diving: they have a scuba diving service directly on-site. They charge 125$ approx. for a one-tank shore dive per person. Ridiculous. We went to Maui Dive Shop and payed 125$ for a two-tank boat dive per person. Shop around !

Grand Luau: although the dancers are very good, the show is really basic. No decor and simple dances. Shop around for a real authentic luau and not a commercial basic version.

1  Thank Rachel67_11
Reviewed November 2, 2011

I took my family on vacation at a ocean front condo for 700 a night on Mckenna Beach.Had a great time. Grand parents decided to come join us at maui. i told them to stay at Grand Wailea which was close to us. They came early and were at the Ritz up north very far from us but very nice and good service. When we showed Grandparents moved to Grand Wailea. GrandKids came to visit Grandparents at Grand Wailea, security and the pool manager made a huge deal about wrist bands for the pool. They wanted to charge $500 bucks for a few hours of swimming for my kids to visit their grandparents at the pool. It was ridiculous and after communication and much hassle they lowered it to $300. We paid and spent the afternoon with Grandma and Grandpa. A few days later Grandma and Grandpa wanted to have the kids over again. Again $300, but this time there was a show.....6 drunken 40-50 year old adult people were at the kids pool and within a few hours these drunks being fed one drink after another by the staff were pulling there pants down not a little but full frontal shots and falling all over everywhere they went. Everyone at the pool complained. The staff saw it and were appalled but did not stop it ,kept selling drinks. At the end of the day when the pool closed and they were done selling them the drinks they wanted to do a police report. Customer service sucks, The exterior walk ways are in bad repair. This place is interested in finding money not good customer service. The kids pool is weird since this place is not really kid friendly. Do not get a room here. Grand Wailea should Mean "Grand Disaster of a place to vacation" in Hawain. On a side note for an upper class vacation for kids the Ritz was really fun and great service, Westin was great fun and great service, and there are really great ocean front condo to cook and be on the ocean with great pools for the kids if you do your research. I never write reports online but Grand Wailea was so horrible I had to do it to warn and help someone planning an expensive and fun planned trip. Avoid Grand Wailea.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank Sean P
blynx1, Director of Sales at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2011

Aloha,
I would like to thank you for your review of the resort. Some of the issues you encountered do not reflect the high level of service and aloha that we stand for. The pools at the resort are reserved for hotel guests only and that is protect the pools from overcrowding, we apologize that our security did not make the experience for the grandchildren more pleasant, as you might imagine, with our pools being as delightful as they are, we have many guests from surrounding resorts try and gain access. We will address the issues that you mentioned and appreciate your valuable feedback. I hope we will get the chance to welcome you with warm aloha again. If you would like to discuss your stay further, please feel free to contact me at brian.lynx@grandwailea.com

Reviewed November 2, 2011

This is an excellent resort for all vacation travellers. Weather you are on a honeymoon like my husband and I or just a regualr vacation with your family. The resort is huge and has wonderful spots all over just to relax. The staff was super freindly and the food and drinks excellent. The best part was the pool with the many slides (big and small) and the grotto bar for the adults. Fantastic grounds and scenary.

Reviewed November 1, 2011

Come to the grand and we will not be disappointed. The service is fantastic. True island paradise.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2011

If you are going to Maui, you might as well treat yourself and enjoy the best!

• Stayed: August 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Four Seasons
Four Seasons
#2 of 8 in Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!