Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
  • Breakfast included
$549
$479
  • Restaurant
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui(Wailea)
$559
$228
$149
Makena Surf(Wailea)
6,953 results
All reviewswater elevatornapua towerlazy rivergrand wailearope swingchapel winghibiscus poolbistro molokinithe grand dining roomcafe kulaspa grandefour seasonspool areaadult poolvalet parkingper dayocean view
Reviewed July 28, 2011

This past July marked my fourth stay at the Grand Wailea in Maui and the Waldorf Astoria branding is well deserved. The only negative comment I can make is that I have traditionally only stayed a week. The staff is very attentive and the property and facilities are unmatched. Although this is the Waldorf Astoria, this is a truly a family hotel where everyone is made to feel welcome. Take your mistress to the Four Seasons which is right next door, but don't venture over there without your nose being up. Take your family to the Waldorf!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2011

It had been several years since I stayed at the Grand Wailea and I was excited when I had the opportunity to return last March.

The drive from Kahului airport to Wailea was a familiar site -- and breeze with the added lanes on both sides of the main highway.

Pulling up to the hotel, I was delighted to see the bougainvillea and the tropical trees still lining the main entrance. But if it wasn't for the stationary, I probably wouldn't have noticed that the hotel is now a part of the Waldorf Astoria family.

I had to flag down a bellman to assist with my luggage. I guess I looked like the type to carry my own bags. The doorman offered me a valet ticket -- and asked if I was staying or just visiting. I thought the two were one and the same, so I said, "Yes." He then clarified his question to be, "Are you just having lunch?" I replied that I was staying for a few days.

I asked about self parking and was informed that the hotel no longer offers self parking. All cars are parked by a valet -- whether you enter the main entrance or the group entrance. Interesting, I thought: No options.

The front desk was busy as expected, but the agent made me feel welcome and greeted me with a warm smile and a cheerful "aloha!" Within minutes, I was given my room key and was pointed in the right direction. As I had stayed at the hotel before, I knew my way around and was aware that certain rooms were farther away from the lobby than others. Then again, not everyone is heading to the lobby in the morning -- so farther away isn't always a bad thing. The staff will offer you a map -- not that you can change your room at any given time. But at least you'll have an idea how far away you are from the restaurants and pools.

My room was techinically in the Molokini wing. Some of the rooms there are frightful. You can be in a mountain category and actually looking out at the group entrance. Depending on who's staying at the hotel (i.e. a large convention), the noise from the buses at all hours can be annoying.

But I was lucky and had a room facing the garden area within the hotel. My room wasn't too far from the elevators -- which was a good choice on a business trip. If I was on a romantic getaway, I would definitely request something away from the elevators. People tend to chat alot when they stand in front of the elevators. Don't know why. I think they might be talking about the weather (and how beautiful Maui is!).

The room had two full beds, was adequate in size, and was clean. There was a balcony/lanai -- but everyone from the Cafe Kula would look at me whenever I went outside.

I didn't utilize room service -- which I told took awhile. I dined at Cafe Kula almost every morning -- mainly because of its close proximity to my room.

For dinner and lunch, I dined off property.

The pool and the Spa were my two favorite places to run off to. The slides at the pool are too much fun. There are different slides in different parts of the pool. Some for little kids, some for big kids. But definitely a fun place to be.

The Spa speaks for itself. One of the best worldwide.

I did have time to head out to the beach one day. The water was tranquil, cool, and refreshing. Everyone was glad to be on Maui.

And as I mentioned, this was back in March. The night the sirens went off and everyone was headed for higher ground...

Room Tip: Smile alot and complement the check in agent..
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank hawntraveler
Reviewed July 27, 2011

I was simple blown away by this beautiful property. When you arrive people are so gracious. The hotel is open roof of lobby with beautiful birds everywhere but a little annoying near breakfast area. The room was gorgeous, big, clean, great linens. Reasturants at the hotel didn't thrill me but great places were just a quick drive away. The grounds were gorgeous! Gardens an pool was just breath taking. The beach spoke for itself by
far the bluest water I have ever seen. I have nothin bad to say it was truly an amazing place I will go back there if I ever go to Hawaii in the future.

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank Sas0920
Reviewed July 27, 2011

The best parts of The Grand Wailea? The Pools, the impressive lobby entrance, and the spa. The beach is nice as well, and this hotel is located right next door to "The Shops at Wailea" which is very convenient! The gym is great - it has everything you could want, although it be nice if there was a view of something (other then the basement.)

The downside for me is that this resort has lost some of it's glory over the last ten years - I think the recession has had an impact. The corridors are showing a lot of wear and tear, and the rooms definitely need some TLC. (There were nicks in the paint all over the room, the bathroom had chips in the tile, etc.) It just is starting to look old. For a place that will charge you $20 for a poolside cocktail and $500-$700 a night for a room, I expect a little more.

The service is still great, no complaints there although we did not eat in any of the restaurants except at lunchtime. Poolside the service seems to be a little slower, not as many staff members to take your order.

Overall I don't think I would go back - I think there are better resorts in Maui for the money.

Room Tip: I am not sure if being a Hilton Honors Member would help? It did not seem to make any difference for us and my boyfriend is Diamond.
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Hotel and beach are awesome. If only they could figure out the chair scene at the pool and beach and not make everyone crazy about reserving chairs before 8am, this place would be the best hotel. The one hour rule on chairs doesn't work. Kids are out of control near the waterslides. But even with these minor flaws, the place is spectacular.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family