“Grand rip off”

Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Wailea
Reviewed April 25, 2011

I am a member here and have not been for many years. The resort is beautiful and location is great. My wife rates the spa as one of the best in the world. The pools are easily the best, or close to, on Maui. Just don't stay here if you are on any kind of a budget. I do very well, I have a 7 figure income. But I still won't hand over my money unless there is some value. Pool side cabana for 8 people, $300 per day. Oh but you get fresh water and a fruit plate. Watered down bloody mary, $14. I had adjoining rooms because of my kids. Tack on another $50 per night for guaranteed adjoining rooms. Luckily for us the resort was not overly crowded. I heard the week prior the lines for pool chairs was outrageous. Next time I visit Maui, next year, I don't think I'll be going back. For 2 ocean view rooms, some food, nice dinner at Humu Humu my 3 night cost was over $5000 when you add in all the charges. And as a member I get 50% off the standard published rates. At this price time share is starting to look better.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank FlyingHam

Reviewed April 25, 2011

First impression is breathtaking. A welcome and lei is presented by bell staff, prior to arrival at the Front Desk. Check in was easy and quick , even though the hotel was busy due to spring break. After a warm welcome by the front desk staff, we were taken to our room which was spotless; and kept that way by hk for the entire stay. Room Service was the best and fairly priced. Dinner at the Mokikini Bistro was great, service was outstanding; and each child was presented with a free stuffed animal at the end of the meal. The beach is to die for, and there is no charge for the umbrellas. There is a "Kids Club" which provides activities and meals for the children, the staff goes out of their way to make the kids happy; and it is a great feature of this hotel. The team members at this resort are always anxious to help guests, and make them happy. This is where this hotel really shines. All of the team members have a great attitude. In conclusion , this really is the best resort on Maui.

1  Thank larryt43
Reviewed April 24, 2011

I have just got back from my third stay at this hotel as all the other reviews point out it is a grand and opulent hotel . I was there 5 years ago and think that it is still in great shape contrary to other reviews . The pool is the best of any hotel I have stayed at and is the main attraction ( in my opinion) and why they can get the rates they charge . Beyond that my issues are, if I am spending $700 a night to stay someplace I do not expect to be nickeled and dime'd in other aspects such as required valet parking and $13.00 to use a computer to print my boarding pass for my departure. Six dollars for a 12 ounce orange juice is just silly . Commodity prices for produce has not gotten that silly yet to my knowledge .The other thing that seems to have gotten worse is the pre dawn towel chair group and the limited space near the entertainment pool for general seating as I call it . They have two pool areas , one is for adults and one is more fun for adults and kids alike depending on your likes or dislikes . The adult pool used to have l the cabana's for those who like that kind of thing and maybe more refined appearance. They have now lined the volly ball or wide area of the pool with these to earn more revenue I guess for those who want to spend more money or dont like sun ( not sure why go to Hawaii) . That leave's the rest to get there first for those chairs left on top of each other , or go to beach which is quite nice and where we spent the last day away from the crowded pool . Dont get me wrong , pool , rope swing and all are a blast but waves were great for boggie boarding. Obviously if you are spending the money through direct booking with hotel to stay there you can afford the fee's above or rent a cabana but its simply the principal that given the cost to stay there you would think they could provide a computer to print your boarding pass ,not demand valet parking and leave the cabana set to the quiet pool . It is convenient to the Wailea Shops ( very short walk ) . We were traveling with our 17 year old son and were at the Hyatt at Kaanapali Beach for the first 6 nights. For about $150 per night less we were on the Regency Club level with continental breakfast , evening appetizers and deserts at 7:30 no mandatory valet and a computer all set for you in the lobby free of charge to print your boarding pass . Our view was beautiful on the top floor and water front not water views as with the Grand Wailea (which is what I paid for and mostly got) . Kaanapali beach is about 3 miles , lined with other hotels , shopping at Whalers Village , and shuttle to Lahaina with all of its shops and restaurants within a few miles . I went to school in Hilo and have been back 9 times now , for value and location go to Kaanapali . If you want a simply beautiful hotel room and hotel structure , do not mind over paying regardless if you can afford it go to Grand Wailea . 17 year old preferred Hyatt and Kaanapali which also has a pretty good pool .

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
GrandWailea96753, Director, Public Relations at Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2011

We would like to thank Bobb54 for his continued patronage of Grand Wailea and appreciate his feedback. To clarify, printing of boarding passes is complimentary at Grand Wailea. There is a separate tab on the screen allowing guests to print their boarding passes at no cost. The charge must have been incurred from incorrectly logging into the Internet. Grand Wailea has added more cabanas, per the requests of our guests, but we have also added more individual lounge chairs as well. In addition, beach chairs and umbrellas are complimentary to all registered guests. We did not add a volleyball net to the adult pool, the adult pool remains free of such activities. There is a water-volleyball net on the Wailea Canyon’s Activity Pool for guests’ enjoyment.

Reviewed April 23, 2011

First time in Hawaii / Grand Wailea and loved it. Great location, ocean views, service, food and people. We have been all over the Caribbean, Mexico and Europe, and I have to say that it was the best vacation ever (Barcelona and Florence are great also, but they are different types of vacations). You must try Mama's Fish House in Paia (the name does not do it justice) They have great food with excellent oceanfront views.

Already planning to return next year. The Wailea, and Hawaii in general, are expensive. But if you go there knowing that, It will not disappoint.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mike125Boston
Reviewed April 20, 2011

Excellent in every way!!! This location has it all. Great staff,great service,great rooms,great view,great beach,great huge pool with slides,baby beach,water way system,tarzan rope swing,grotto bar,water elevator,adult only,cabanas,hot tubs ect...,great beach,kids programs, great hawaiian art work,statues,shops and happy hour and an AMAZING spa!!. There is so much more to this wonderful place. If you can go,then go!!! Well worth it!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 19, 2011

So this is my first review, but my 2nd time to the Grand Wailea in Maui. The first time i went here was for a wedding and we took my 2 yr old son and we had a blast. There are over 15 slides that intertwine from pool to pool. NOTE: Start at the top pool on the left side looking at the ocean, then work your way down to the lazy river and back up on the water elevator. YES, WATER ELEVATOR!!!!

Overall, The Grand is a place for family's to have a blast and do just about anything you can imagine. Be prepared, Serenity doesn't come cheap. Last time we were here, we ran into Steve Young too.. GO!!!! You wont be disappointed! Also, check out Costcotravel.com for package deals.

Room Tip: NAPUA TOWER!!! Ask for it....
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 16, 2011

Me and my boyfriend pulled in front of Grand Wailea with our mouths wide open... We were completely tooken by the beauty of this hotel and island. We got lucky with a suite w/ocean view and access to the Napua lounge. Our room was very spacious, well kept it had a royalty feel to it. The food was WONDERFUL you have to try all the property foods. We made all effort to eat outside of the hotel but still wind up eating at all the resturants. We were there during NYE, we had a romantic time on the beach with fireworks that the Waliea hosted at the stroke of midnight... It was so romantic that my boyfriend now fiancee proposed. :) we are looking to come back to Waliea for another romantic time.

IMPORTANT NOTE: although there maybe kids on the resort, there are parts on the resort where kids are not allowed. So you can have that romantic time with your significant other.

• Stayed: December 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailea
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!