“great value for money”

Cuisines: Cuban
high wycombe
“great value for money”
Reviewed April 29, 2012

We spotted this place in the day, thought it looked interesting and went back in the evening. We were a bit dubious at first as the menu was only priced in Moneda Nacional (local pesos). The owner explained that he just applied an exchange rate of 23 and didn't change the prices for non Cubans otherwise. this made this our cheapest meal in Cuba. Typical but well cooked Cuban food in huge portions, ice cold beers and a friendly welcome by the rock mad owner. All in all a great experience and you eat with the locals.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank travelbugs_38

Victoria BC
“Delicious Authentic Cuban Cuisine”
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Since my husband is Cuban he was determined to find a Paladar in Cienfuegos. Finding an upscale restaurant in this city is not a problem and I don't mind paying for a fabulous meal if it is worth it but I found that allot of the restaurants in Cienfuegos were overpriced. Hence, we were pleased to find El Lobo, a local Paladar instead.

We were very pleased to find a fantastic Paladar called El Lobo on the main street that runs through the city.
El Lobo can be located at:
Calle 37 # 4226 entre 42 y 44, Cienfuegos, Cuba.
They are open daily 11am - 3pm and 7pm - 11pm.

The food was fantastic and my husband was full of compliments, which he relayed to the owner/waiter, named Santy, short for Santiago Gonzalez Martinez.

My husband is a chef and gave top marks for the food that was served at this restaurant. If you have ever eaten in a home of a local, then you will know that it can be an eye-opener.
The food at this restaurant was cooked in a clean kitchen and the food was not overcooked or greasy. The vegetables used in the salad were very fresh and I was pleased that they had a lovely, low calorie, oil and vinegar dressing.

Please note that this is a restaurant cooked in somebody's home so the decor if very limited. The owner Santy makes up for that with his friendly attitude and love of music. When I say music, I mean the oldies, as in rock. His favourite I would say would have to be Queen. You will see some memorabilia from a trip he took to England to see Queen in concert before Freddie Mercury died.

Santy was a very interesting fella and I would definitely visit his Paladar again in the future.
I have to say again, the food was amazing and your wallet will be happy too.

• Visited January 2012