“The best place in Cienfuegos”
Review of Amigo de Barcelo

Amigo de Barcelo
Ranked #41 of 139 Cienfuegos B&B and Inns
Miami, FL
“The best place in Cienfuegos”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

It's a great house, very clean and perfumed, Maile and Peter cater very well. The food is very tasty and plentiful. Very comfortable beds. I love that house. And my girlfriend and I are sure we will be back next year.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Forked River, New Jersey
Reviewed May 8, 2013

This is a beautiful,centrally located very clean house with a lovely staff and family. We stayed in the room towards the front of the house on the second floor with private stairs and sitting area
were they have a table were they served us breakfast. The house has a rooftop terrace with kitchen facilities and two exceptional ladies who prepare dinner. The ambience is divine. Maile and her husband Pedro are just wonderful and warm people, they open their home and hearts to visitors and make you feel like a special part of their family. Pedro offers his tour guide services and driver only to guests staying in his house, we explored Cienfuegos through his expertise. We give this house 5 stars and beyond, no better place to stay in Cienfuegos.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Martha C
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We could not add anything to the best of the previous reviews, just to say that this is the best Casa we stayed in in Cuba. The food was wonderful, and plentiful, to the extent that we had to ask for smaller breakfasts! The ambiance on the terrace has to be experienced to be believed. Maile claims to make "the best mojita in Cuba" (as do many others), and she could be right!.

Jim & Ann,
Belfast

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jimff5
Sarajevo
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We went to playa and stayed there entire day. When we came back, our room was cleaned. We did not have idea that someone would be entering our room. When we came back it seemed that our 100 euro was "cleaned" too. That morning before we went to playa it was there. We did not react because we were sure it was somewhere in the suitcase among the clothes and we would find it. We could not believe someone from the casa would take it. In the morning we left the casa. We have never found our money!. If this incident did not happen I would say this is a great place to stay.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank VikiSarajevo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I stayed here for three nights and loved it, Maile was warm and welcoming, and we managed to get by despite me not speaking Spanish!

The room was comfortable, spotlessly clean with a great shower (a rarity in Cuba), and I slept really well.

I ate in the Casa and for vegetarian food for me was lovely. Breakfast was wonderful too. A great place in Cienfuegos with a lovely terrace!
I initially thought the location was little far out of town, but actually was pretty close to walk to the central square, along a safe road, and not too far from the main 'shopping' streets (such as they are!)
Lovely place!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Olivia P
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Maile, Pedro and Pedrito are amazing!!! I had an unforgettable week in Cienfuegos and most of it I owe it to them. I was travelling alone to an unknown city and their advices were more than helpful. They know the city very well so they can point you out the must-see places and even take you there. They own a car that is always at your disposal no matter the time. Pedro was kind enough to pick me up at the airport, even when it was well past midnight!!!
The house is clean and cozy with two rooms, one on the upper level and one on the main one. I had to stay for a few days on the top one until I finally moved to the one below and I can tell you, both rooms are very comfortable. You will have a fridge, a TV, air conditioner and a fan to keep you cool in the warm Cuban nights and Maile ensures well that everything is clean and perfumed, but the thing I loved the most was the roof top terrace. You will have your breakfasts and dinners there and they also have a bar and a relaxing area to read, chat with friends or simply enjoy a beautiful view of Cienfuegos.
Now the food... it was amazing. I have stayed in several hotels in Cuba and most of them should learn a few things from Maile. The prices are really good too, a perfect example of cheap with expensive quality. The breakfasts were well served, with freshly made juices, eggs, sandwiches, milk, tea, coffee... you really won´t be having lunch after that! They offer you dinner too with a menu of your choosing and as abundant and well made as breakfast. Don´t leave without asking Maile to make you a cuban paella!!!
I thought this was going to be a onetime trip but the experience was so rewarding that I will be going back next year for sure. Cienfuegos is an amazing city, not wonder it’s called “La Perla del Sur”. Trust Cienfuegos and trust Maile´s and Pedro´s professional but cubanly warm treatment (I even made up a word!!! hahahaha) either if you are seeking for adventure or a quiet time.
Gracias Mailé, desde Toronto y Pinar del Rio!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed June 21, 2012

What an exciting and welcoming experience in Maile's casa. We were happily greeted at the bus station and within 2 blocks arrived at our casa. The stay was an extremely warm and welcoming experience. The place was rather modern and very clean. All meals were served fresh and to our liking. Maile was always accommodating and helpful with lots of tips. Pedro a funny fellow was always willing to help out too. He had a car and one day was even willing to take us to the farm so we could buy a goat to roast. At a moment's notice we had a FIESTA on the roof top that had a dining room and bar. My husband's family attended along with the owners and we had a wonderful evening. Our stay was very eventful and we are certain to return to this hidden pearl in the middle of Cienfuegos. Muchas gracias Maile por una buena experiencia y por su amabilidad inolvidable!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family