“casa-bed and breakfast-5 estrellas”
Review of Villa Lagarto

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cienfuegos
Villa Lagarto
Geneva
“casa-bed and breakfast-5 estrellas”
Reviewed April 13, 2012

We stayed 2 nights in this casa 5 stars! It as amazing. Huge room with king beds, nice and clean bathroom, wonderful view on the sea with hammocks on the doorfront. The restaurant on the seaside proposed very good food and a wonderful breakfast!!! We loved our stay there and would recommend it to anybody!!! Reserve on this number: 00 53 43 51 99 66

Room Tip: ask for a room with seaview
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alexiageneva

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
London
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We had one night in Cienfuegos and chose to stay in Villa Lagarto because it was on the water and had hammocks.

We were happy here. For me, the rooms were a little poky (my slimmer, trimmer girlfiriend thought they were fine). Everything else was 5 star.

The food was delicious. We had lunch, dinner and breakfast and enjoyed them all. Good food - well prepared, friendly service, lovely views over the water from your table.

The hammocks were mucho comfy. The staff were friendly and helpful (and speak no English so take your phrase book).

If we got to Cienfuegos again this is where we will be staying.

Room Tip: Try to get room 4 - which has the most terrace space.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed March 31, 2012

My wife and I stayed here last month for 2 nights, We had tried reserving a room in the past but we were informed it was full! Generally this place is busy all year round as they have a lot repeat clients. This casa is absolutely wonderful! Situated at the end of Punta Gorda and offers great water views. The rooms are a bit small but surprisingly our room had a comfortable kingsize bed, No television though. On site their is a popular restaurant that actually attracts many non guests. They offer "Fixed price menu" with Soup/Salad to start Fish,Seafood, Beef , Chicken or Pork as the mains , Desert of the day and coffee to finish it off. (Beverages are all at additional cost) Prices start at about $15CUC-$18CUC PP. In my opinion a bit pricey for Cienfuegos. The breakfast is $5 CUC per person it's large and quite good.

Only recommendation I have for the owners is to have a menu for the restaurant instead of being told verbally. All in all this is one of the best options in Cienfuegos and also one of the most expensive one's at $40 CUC per night. I'd go back !

Room Tip: Make sure you call a few days in advance to ensure you have not been placed at another casa, This ha...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank simplycuba
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed February 7, 2012

My wife & I stayed at Villa Lagarto in January 2012. We were definitely looking forward to our stay at Villa Lagarto given the very high reviews in Lonely Planet. The location is excellent, the food is good and the staff seemed nice at the beginning. My poor experience & rating was based on the following experiences during our stay:

1) soon after we arrived another of the guests staying at this casa explained how much they enjoyed the local definario (dolphin show). This sounded like an interesting activity & so as soon as we got up the following morning we asked the management about the delifinario, which they highly recommended. Then, they went on to explain that they could help us to arrange a taxi to/from the delfinario. Before we knew it they were calling the taxi driver so that he could tell us about the different tours he could take us on & the prices for each. Since it was only 8:30 AM we asked for the pricing details over the phone, but the management preferred to have the taxi driver just come to the casa to explain the options.
Once the taxi driver arrived & told us the pricing I told him that I would like to discuss the the options with my wife over breakfast.
During breakfast, the hotel guest who had been at the delfinario the day before mentioned the casa just next door to Villa Lagarto had arranged a ride for them to the definario in a very nice 56 Chevy for 15 CUC round trip. Since I wasn't sure whether the taxi that Villa Largarto had arranged would be a nice old car like & since the taxi quoted 20 CUC round trip I decided to ask Villa Largarto's management about whether the taxi would be a nice old car & whether the trip could be arranged for 15 CUC.
A few minutes later, the management at Villa Lagarto that had proposed the taxi appeared & I asked about the difference in transportation options. But, before I could even get to the part about the nice old American car I was interrupted & chastised for even asking about different transportation options since Villa Lagarto would only recommended transportation that was "safe". The management then became noticeably angry & proceeded to say that if all I was interested in was saving 5 CUC then I was on my own & that they couldn't help me. Definitely not the response that I was expecting. In any case, I took this as a sign & once we finished breakfast I let the management know that we would be arranging our own transportation to the delfinario (where we ended up having a great time).

2) while asking about the definario above I also asked Villa Largarto's management if I could pay for the previous & upcoming nights stay as well as the expenses that we had accrued up to this point (since I had cash that I wanted to get rid of rather than hold with me until the following day, when we would check out). The management said that this would be no problem & told me that they would have my bill ready shortly.
When I returned to pay the bill, I noticed that it included all of our expenses up to this point (one night's stay, our dinner the night before & the breakfast that we just had) but not the following night's stay. Since we planned to stay 1 more night, I asked if we would be possible to pay for the coming night's stay as well at this point since I had cash then. I was told that this would be fine & so they added 35 CUC's more to the bill. I then paid the bill in full, including the coming night's stay.

The most surprising/disappointing part of our stay came when we went to check out the following morning, at which time the same woman that I had paid the morning before told me that I had only paid for 1 night's stay. She then presented me with a bill for 40 CUC's per night (5 CUC's than I was originally told & paid) & was told that I would need to pay for the 2nd night's stay. When I mentioned that I had already paid the 2nd night's stay the morning before the same woman that I had paid the day before told me that she wasn't an Indian (i.e. that she wasn't naive) but that I wouldn't have to pay (again) for the 2nd night's stay but instead she would give me the second night's stay for free. Before I could say OK & thank her for her understanding she began to raise her voice at me about how cheap I was & how I didn't have any class as a human being! Since she had told me that she would give us the 2nd night for free (which I had already paid for as mentioned above) I proceeded to walk out of the casa with my stuff.

She proceeded to follow me out to my car & ask my wife to roll down the window so that she could scream at us something about how cheap I was & how I didn't have any class as a human being. Her husband came out to tell us something similar. They also mentioned that they were going to call the police & to tell them that they should stop us since we hadn't paid for our second night's stay. They also mentioned something about calling all of the casas in the next town that we were headed to to tell them not to accept us as guests since we didn't pay our bill.
Amazing...

Needless to say, based on the above, I would not recommend Villa Lagarto.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
12 Thank fidelc777
Oregon
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Try this family run restaurant (attached to small hotel) -- our dinner was perfect. We had the most beautiful vegetable and fruit plates, a choice of fish or pork, and a pudding dessert. The atmosphere was beautiful -- it was warm so we dined in an outdoor area with soft lights.

Room Tip: we actually did not stay in the rooms, we only ate dinner there
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed January 30, 2012

It is the best place where we were in Cuba. Great food, amazing rooms, awesome place, ......... the owners are a married couple and you could spend time speaking with them and hearing about Cuba. More than recommendable!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
The Netherlands
Reviewed January 16, 2012

This must be one of the best Casas Particulares in Cuba.
Beautiful location at the Puenta, literally the tip of the city at the lake.
Wonderful service, great dinner and breakfast!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cienfuegos
Jagua Hotel
#4 of 6 in Cienfuegos
Hotel Los Helechos
Hotel Los Helechos
#7 of 11 in Trinidad

Been to Villa Lagarto? Share your experiences!