See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed May 6, 2012

On our week long driving adventure in Cuba( coming from Havana) we were heading to Trinidad when the day overtook us and it was time to find that evenings home sweet home. Well imagine our surprise as we are headed(lost again!lol)down a very dark, dead end road dodging huge crabs bigger than your hand -scurrying off into the brush! Mating season???
A tour bus went flying by- crunching those unlucky lovers that were in it's path!
Around the bend and a large white elongated horse sign appeared. Well as I have 8 horses-it was if if the car was on equine radar. In we went ,only to find a large horseshoe(now I am getting super excited) and a huge sold wooden horse carving 10ft tall.
As we walk to reception on the black high shine marble foyer, I spot a painting of horses swimming and find out the history of the horses in the are inspired to horse themed hotel. All the horses were swum across the channel to the mainland. As someone who swims her own horses- they don't all like or know how to. I imagine there were a few who drowned as the painting shows alot of fear in the horses faces.
My husband guessed from the beautiful lobby that we would be paying $150. a night .Nope! $26 which included breakfast for both of us. What a find! Combining my horse craziness and his frugality- appeased us both. Off to our room we went and we wondered if we were the only ones in the hotel(over 100 rooms) When we opened the door - we just starting laughing! Yes it was a shock.It was definetly not what we expected. Did not coincide with the lobby at all. Old, dated,tiny old TV, no hot water(warm only) to shower with ...but so what -we were only staying 14 hours anyway.
While hubby was checking for bed bugs-Lol(he found none) I checked for toilet paper(those who have travelled outside an all inclusive in Cuba-know what I am talking about)
Pheww! there was lots.
After having a very comfortable sleep we got up and headed for breakfast and discovered another 26 people in the dining room.
Alas, we were not alone.
Breakfast and coffee was good.
Hubby was especially glad that he good get ham and eggs anywhere in Cuba (He hated the month we spent in Europe-10 countries- where the continental breakfast reigns supreme)
After an hour for tanning by the huge, clean pool, listening to some incredible cuban music and a swim in the salt water pool -we were on our way .
We looked back at the colorful hotel as we left - smiling to ourselves and the luck of finding this hidden gem.
Although we stay mostly in 4-5 stars and pay for it. The Sandals in Varadero cost us $320. for 1 night.(Also worth it)
But ,This was a refreshing change of pace that I would recommend for a night or 2 but not a week. But lower your standards- it is not a resort ! Where else can you get a bed /breakfast/ pool/music, really neat old pool tables for $26. per couple per night!!!

Date of stay: April 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
7  Thank Marie77777_11
Reviewed March 23, 2012

This hotel is a large open air structure on the remote south coast of Cuba. The rooms were modest but the grounds are lovely including a large salt-water pool. The buffet was adequate and included fresh meat or fish every day, as well as Cuban rice, lots of fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, and the omelette station which is so popular in the mornings. We enjoyed the live music at dinner and the spacious seating areas both indoors and outdoors - actually all of the lobby is outdoors!

Room tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool up high to see the grounds and sunrise!
Date of stay: February 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
3  Thank moms76
Reviewed March 15, 2012

I stayed here one evening as a part of an overnight excursion from Varadero to Cienfuegos. We arrived at the hotel via a boat which had taken us on a sunset cruise. On the dock, we were greeted by musicians and dancers from the hotel. The hotel itself is a funky 1960s style. We had our meal in a private room, wonderful fish, with musicians playing throughout dinner. We did wake up in the morning to no water in the entire hotel but we all had a good laugh and soldiered on. The buffet breakfast was good, I had a nice omelette, but the dining room itself was not as clean as I would have liked.

The hotel is situated on a peninsula quite a distance from Cienfuegos. There is a lovely pool but no beach access.

Date of stay: March 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank 323brigidh
Reviewed February 29, 2012

Our tour agency lost the reservation at Hotel Jagua and we were put up at Pasacaballo. We paid for 5 star hotel but got 2 stars accommodation. Our room was on the top floor. View was great but the door had cracks and light could shine through. The air conditioner does not work too well. The wash basin did not have a plug. Tiles on the bathroom wall had fallen. The soup provided was not good, nos suds. The electrical outlet where the night light was plugged in was lose, hanging out from the wall. Whenever I sat down on my bed, the light flickered. It was dangerous because the lose outlet can catch on fire being close to bed linen. There was no hair dryer. When I asked the receptionist at the front desk, she had this funny look on her face as if to say, "why did you need a hair dryer?" As for breakfast, I had little to eat because of my gluten sensitivity. The quality of fruits was not good. However, we had dinner at the restaurant downstairs and the dinner was lobster. That was good. I wouldn't stay at this hotel again if I go back to Cienfuegos. The La Union Hotel is my preference.

Room tip: The top floor has good view if view is the only requirement.
Date of stay: February 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank alang-alang
Reviewed February 9, 2012

While staying at hotel Rancho Luna about 5 or 10 minutes up the road, I decided to stay here for a couple nights. Great meals and you can get free breakfast and a very cheap and good dinner. About 20 minutes and a $10 cab ride to town. Not on the beach but its a $5 cab ride up the road to get there. Also what is really cool is its right on a river across from the historic village of castillo de jagua. It has a beautiful pool and good bar. All in all it's a great place and I would recommend it to anyone.

Date of stay: November 2011