See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed March 23, 2012

This hotel is a large open air structure on the remote south coast of Cuba. The rooms were modest but the grounds are lovely including a large salt-water pool. The buffet was adequate and included fresh meat or fish every day, as well as Cuban rice, lots of fresh fruit, fresh vegetables, and the omelette station which is so popular in the mornings. We enjoyed the live music at dinner and the spacious seating areas both indoors and outdoors - actually all of the lobby is outdoors!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool up high to see the grounds and sunrise!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank moms76
Reviewed March 15, 2012

I stayed here one evening as a part of an overnight excursion from Varadero to Cienfuegos. We arrived at the hotel via a boat which had taken us on a sunset cruise. On the dock, we were greeted by musicians and dancers from the hotel. The hotel itself is a funky 1960s style. We had our meal in a private room, wonderful fish, with musicians playing throughout dinner. We did wake up in the morning to no water in the entire hotel but we all had a good laugh and soldiered on. The buffet breakfast was good, I had a nice omelette, but the dining room itself was not as clean as I would have liked.

The hotel is situated on a peninsula quite a distance from Cienfuegos. There is a lovely pool but no beach access.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Brigid H
Reviewed February 29, 2012

Our tour agency lost the reservation at Hotel Jagua and we were put up at Pasacaballo. We paid for 5 star hotel but got 2 stars accommodation. Our room was on the top floor. View was great but the door had cracks and light could shine through. The air conditioner does not work too well. The wash basin did not have a plug. Tiles on the bathroom wall had fallen. The soup provided was not good, nos suds. The electrical outlet where the night light was plugged in was lose, hanging out from the wall. Whenever I sat down on my bed, the light flickered. It was dangerous because the lose outlet can catch on fire being close to bed linen. There was no hair dryer. When I asked the receptionist at the front desk, she had this funny look on her face as if to say, "why did you need a hair dryer?" As for breakfast, I had little to eat because of my gluten sensitivity. The quality of fruits was not good. However, we had dinner at the restaurant downstairs and the dinner was lobster. That was good. I wouldn't stay at this hotel again if I go back to Cienfuegos. The La Union Hotel is my preference.

Room Tip: The top floor has good view if view is the only requirement.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alang-alang
Reviewed February 9, 2012

While staying at hotel Rancho Luna about 5 or 10 minutes up the road, I decided to stay here for a couple nights. Great meals and you can get free breakfast and a very cheap and good dinner. About 20 minutes and a $10 cab ride to town. Not on the beach but its a $5 cab ride up the road to get there. Also what is really cool is its right on a river across from the historic village of castillo de jagua. It has a beautiful pool and good bar. All in all it's a great place and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank cndguy25
Reviewed May 9, 2010

I have been to this hotel on at least 5 occasions over the past 3 years. It is very clean and the staff is wonderful. Most of them speak english and will go out of their way to help out. The rooms are spacious, clean and air conditioned. The meals are rather fixed with a menu to choose from that does not vary much but the choices are varied. The grounds are well maintained and there is a large swimming pool, that is currently being updated and should be operational again before the fall as well as the bar at the poolside. I have found this hotel to be a great place to stay, It does have a problem wth taxi service. Since it is a little ways out the service is slow...what I have done and enjoy is take the local bus from the hotel to the next one... Rancho Luna, maybe 15 minutes away..and take the taxi from there to cienfuegos. and it is cheaper...the bus is a peso. Also a short walk will take you to a ferry and for a peso one can cross over into the 'Island" and enjoy the people and various sites there. The people make the vacation.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple