“Don't stay there if you have another choice.”

Islazul Pasacaballo Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Cienfuegos
San Jose, CA, USA
“Don't stay there if you have another choice.”
Reviewed February 29, 2012

Our tour agency lost the reservation at Hotel Jagua and we were put up at Pasacaballo. We paid for 5 star hotel but got 2 stars accommodation. Our room was on the top floor. View was great but the door had cracks and light could shine through. The air conditioner does not work too well. The wash basin did not have a plug. Tiles on the bathroom wall had fallen. The soup provided was not good, nos suds. The electrical outlet where the night light was plugged in was lose, hanging out from the wall. Whenever I sat down on my bed, the light flickered. It was dangerous because the lose outlet can catch on fire being close to bed linen. There was no hair dryer. When I asked the receptionist at the front desk, she had this funny look on her face as if to say, "why did you need a hair dryer?" As for breakfast, I had little to eat because of my gluten sensitivity. The quality of fruits was not good. However, we had dinner at the restaurant downstairs and the dinner was lobster. That was good. I wouldn't stay at this hotel again if I go back to Cienfuegos. The La Union Hotel is my preference.

Room Tip: The top floor has good view if view is the only requirement.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alang-alang

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Polish first
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed February 9, 2012

While staying at hotel Rancho Luna about 5 or 10 minutes up the road, I decided to stay here for a couple nights. Great meals and you can get free breakfast and a very cheap and good dinner. About 20 minutes and a $10 cab ride to town. Not on the beach but its a $5 cab ride up the road to get there. Also what is really cool is its right on a river across from the historic village of castillo de jagua. It has a beautiful pool and good bar. All in all it's a great place and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank cndguy25
Ontario
Reviewed May 9, 2010

I have been to this hotel on at least 5 occasions over the past 3 years. It is very clean and the staff is wonderful. Most of them speak english and will go out of their way to help out. The rooms are spacious, clean and air conditioned. The meals are rather fixed with a menu to choose from that does not vary much but the choices are varied. The grounds are well maintained and there is a large swimming pool, that is currently being updated and should be operational again before the fall as well as the bar at the poolside. I have found this hotel to be a great place to stay, It does have a problem wth taxi service. Since it is a little ways out the service is slow...what I have done and enjoy is take the local bus from the hotel to the next one... Rancho Luna, maybe 15 minutes away..and take the taxi from there to cienfuegos. and it is cheaper...the bus is a peso. Also a short walk will take you to a ferry and for a peso one can cross over into the 'Island" and enjoy the people and various sites there. The people make the vacation.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank studentdad
Reviewed November 11, 2005

The hotel was extremely far (20 minutes in Taxi) from cienfuegos in the middle of nowhere.
The hotel was clean, but as with other hotels in Cuba, there are no luxuries, dining room was very stark, 1960s office furniture style.
I didn't see any other tourists there at the time.
Part of the window in the room was just louvers, which mean I couldn't close the window, which probably isn't a problem as the weather is usually great. But when I was there, a DJ was playing music close to the pool extremely loud eventhough there was nobody there! And I couldn't close the windows!

If you are in Cienfuegos without a car, find something closer.

• Stayed September 2002
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 24, 2004

Peachey writes: Had a great New Years in 2002! I was totally most sastified to the fullest extent with regards to my staying at this property. The food was more than superb. The staff were better than I could of imagined.

My other friends I met in Nuclear City were really cool. Security on scene were very proffesional, and personable.

The accomodations were just peachey. This holliday is not for the beach, but for the real Cuba which is why I return to this island continuously. Having been to numerous other southern destinations, I now consider Cuba my premier choice, with no competition.

Michael Peachey. P.S. great dj.

Reviewed March 14, 2002

Two thumbs up to the staff at Hotel Pasacaballo!

Especially Luis (desk manager) and Mary Ella (entertainment co-ordinator) and George (the restaurant manager)

They really make the difference at this hotel. If you are going there expecting a 5 star, then look elsewhere, but if you are looking for good value for your money this is the place!

I'll try not to repeat what already has been said here, but I agree with everything that other have posted.

I have to admit on first sight the place was a little bit scary looking due to the damaged main ceiling (which was repaired by weeks end), then again we came in at 2 in the morning thanks to a delayed Air Transat flight

Renovations are coming along nicely, and it was amazing what they accomplished in the week that we were there.

It is true, that they bend over backwards to make your trip a really good time. Hey they even took us on a trip to a major league baseball game in Cienfuegos. That was really good quality ball! The added touch of a cooler of beer and rum punch drinks was a great touch. All on the house of course.

Tours, boat trips, and staff trips to the Rancho Luna beach all included free of charge. I agree with the comment about Havanatour's, who showed up rarely and wanted large peso's to go anywhere.

The rooms where clean and well kept (and if they are not, they are quick to please). Recent renovations to the rooms included new comfy mattresses, air conditioners, t.v. 's and dishnet satellite TV, HBO, ESPN, CNN etc. (though you gotta go through Luis to get English programming)

A good selection of local drinks, though their choice of beer and cola could be better.

We had no problem with the quality of the food, and when we asked we were fed fresh seafood and lobster's on several occasions.

The saltwater pool and the grounds are well kept and clean. There are two restaurant's in operation with the third under repair and said to become a new glass enclosed affair, smaller than the main dining room.

In closing, a really nice place, with great staff and good food and drink. Well worth money.

P.S.-Don't be afraid to explore the village across the river. We found a good homemade meal (arranged through staff at the hotel) and the fortress was really neat to explore.

We would definitely go back to Hotel Pasacaballo again!

Reviewed February 24, 2002

After reading the review on this sight, we decided to take a chance on a vacation to Cienfuegos, Cuba and stay at this hotel.
They were fixing up the damage done during the hurricane Michelle. In about 3 months this work should be done. They do not have a beach but a shuttle will take you there whenever you ask.
Anything we asked for we got e.g. food, trips, music and it seemed like we were at Fantasy Island. The staff would really try to make themselves understood. Some speak English, some are learning at school to speak and others just smile or use hand jestures. This is the 3rd. time to Cuba and after staying here it sure won't be our last.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cienfuegos
Hotel Rancho Luna
Iberostar Grand Hotel Trinidad
Hotel Islazul Hanabanilla
Hotel Islazul Hanabanilla
#4 of 7 in Santa Clara

Been to Islazul Pasacaballo Hotel? Share your experiences!