“You couldn't pay me to go there again!”

Hacienda El Jibarito
Reviewed May 17, 2011

I was travelling with my teenage daugher, on a mother-daugher trip. It's our time alone-together, with none of the hassels of everyday life. Unfortunately, Hacienda El Jibarito is the only time we have been totally disappointed and frustrated with an establishment that we booked. The horror began trying to find it at night. No one at the front desk could help with directions... we literally drove around for hours -- we don't speak much Spanish. Luckily a kind heartered family went out of their way and drove us to the doors of the Hacienda. We had booked our room earlier in the day and were planning on spending a few nights there. The room was wierd -- located very close to the front desk. When I checked in they asked if we wanted to pay for breakfast. I paid $10 per person for the breakfast. The room had very high ceilings, little furnishings, one of the lights didn't work and we asked the front desk to help -- they never helped us. The water in the shower was cold -- the towels felt like sandpaper and the bed was not very comfortable. The next morning I was up quite early and wanted to get a cup of tea. There was a Cafe on the main floor, but I was told that my $10 for breakfast wasn't good there that I would have to pay additionally for a cup of tea. I was directed upstairs to the $10 Breakfast area and when I arrived I was informed that I would have to wait until the breakfast area opened. I waited patiently for them to open and then discovered that they only served coffee and hot chocolate. The "waitress" told me that the Cafe on the main level sold tea... I tried to explain that I had already paid for breakfast. So down I went to the Front Desk to try to sort this out. It seemed perfectly logical to me that they would certainly accomodate my request for tea -- as part of the $10 I had already paid. I was wrong -- the Front Desk was surprised that anyone would want a cup of tea and said they were sorry, that I could have tea, but I would have to pay for it in the Cafe. In answer to that, I asked for a refund of the $10 breakfast, since I wasn't eating anything. "Oh no", they said we don't refund money, it's against our policy to do that." I asked to speak with the Manager or owner... they went away and then returned to state that they had spoken with the owner and they were sorry, no refund and I would have to pay for the cup of tea in their Cafe. Needless to say, we did not stay another night, we packed up and left. Maybe it was good that we decided to leave, because the next place that we stayed The Blue Boy Inn in Rincon -- was heaven on earth. Everything that Jibarito wasn't Blue Boy is. Attention to service, comfortable, beautifully furnished, fabulous food -- and yes, they serve tea -- and didn't make me feel that I had landed from Mars. We loved Blue Boy Inn so much that we have rented it with serveral other families for Christmas Week 2011. If you are going to the Rincon area call the Blue Boy -- you won't regret one minute of your stay there.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
9  Thank nyccaterer

Reviewed April 20, 2011

My husband and I loved it here! the staff was very friendly and the breakfast was delicious! We got there late at night because we got lost in San Sebastian and we had no reservations, they gave us a cheap beautiful room with a balcony! They have two pools, one indoor and one outdoor. You can also walk to 3 different waterfalls. I really enjoyed our stay there and I would definitely recommend it! the drive to San Sebastian is a little scary but the scenery is amazing! oh, and our bed was really comfy and we had a hammock on our balcony!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ZSKniskern
Reviewed January 18, 2011

We stayed at the Jibarito Inn with family to visit the town of San Sebastian. We were a bit skeptical after reading all of the reviews, but we were pleasantly surprised. The service was excellent as was the food and facilities. Like others have noted the rooms have paper thin walls and in the morning you will wake up to the noise from those above you. When booking your room, do request to get an upper level room.
The breakfast is decent, but lunch and dinner are fabulous. The pools are great for thos with little kids as it has a large area of shallow waters.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank mama22005
Reviewed May 4, 2010

I let me start off by saying I was very concerned about this place being it was
In the mountains in all and I hadn’t read much reviews about Weddings there!
But this was a Dream Come True when we arrived WOW this place is like heaven
In the mountains the VIEW is amazing I can’t even describe it, It’s beautiful
This place is truly a hidden paradise… I wanted to be married on the beach and I
Did get married on the beaches of Jobo in Isabela… This Wedding Team is GREAT!!
All my guest were shuttled to the beach in a tour bus and this was an experience something
My guest or I and Ricky will never forget, the beach setting was simple but beautiful I was married
On the beach and then we stopped in the town square of Isablea were the drive stopped and we took pictures.
Then we were shuttle back to the Hacienda were all fun began write after, the food was great and the reception
Was spectacular I had the reception at the Salon Alambqiue this salon is over looking the mountains BEAUTIFUL!!!
I was want to thank the girls so much Mildred and Adriana from the Wedding department these girls and fairies for making
My dream come true…. THANK YOU!!! And to Waltermar from front desk you ROCK!…. Waltermar was so helpful to all the guest
And the whole team there thanks….I will be back for vacations….

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Brokenheart787
Reviewed April 13, 2010

Hacienda El Jibarito a wonderful place to visit and be up close with nature. My experience there was the best ever. The view is like any other. The food great, they have their own chef. The pools relaxing, spa, horse back riding and beautiful walks at outdoors were great. There located near beaches from Rincon, Aguadilla and Cabo Rojo. They make their own coffee, it was amazing. Next year I will go their again.

Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LydiaRodz
Reviewed August 3, 2009

When I booked to stay in Hacienda El Jibarito I was very excited cause it looked beautiful on the site. Once I got there the nightmare begun. The service is horrible. Since the check in until the check out they treat you like if you were bothering them. You don't receive orientation of the facilities, the beds are the worst, the towels are like 10 years old, in the supposed farm what you find are empty cages and the famous waterfalls are a pond of stuck dirty water. The restaurant is expensive for the quality of the food and after two hours we had to cancel the order. It's a shame cause the structure of the hotel is beautiful but they damage everything with the service.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank lovepuertorico
Reviewed May 1, 2009

Once you get there...because is kinda far and up the hill, is a beautiful place! the mountains and the view, you really feel in paradise! BUT...the service? it wasn't as good as the views! The guy barely spoke English and I know is PR, they speak Spanish, but it is a tourist place you kinda want to be able to help the tourist. I would recommend this place to go eat and spend the day but not to stay.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Parador Villa Parguera
Hotel Colonial
Hotel Colonial
#2 of 4 in Mayaguez

Been to Hacienda El Jibarito? Share your experiences!