“Great Location - beautiful views”

Villa Tropical Oceanfront Apartments on Shacks Beach
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Isabela
Reviewed February 24, 2009

We chose Villa Tropical for the location as we had previously stayed on the East side of the Island and wanted to explore the west. We stayed in the F1 apartment which was very lovely and very clean. Mike and Val the owners upstairs were very accommodating and have a beautiful home and yard right on the beach with everything you need for a relaxing getaway. They even have coin laundry and an extra bathroom with a shower in the building behind their home which they let us use. That came in handy with 4 adults sharing the suite. We had some issues with hot water but they had been renovating and the problem was resolved quickly during our stay. The location was great for day trips as we explored many beaches everyday all along the north, west and south coast. It is kind of out of the way and so it was very quiet except for the frogs and the ocean which lulled you sleep. Although I should mention that there is an airport very close by and so there was some very large planes flying over at times. Because the surf was high during our stay, we were only able to snorkel at the beach in front of our apartment one day, which we were glad we had the opportunity as it was great! We never saw inside of the other apartments but we really liked ours and were very pleased with the accommodations.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 4, 2009

We stayed this year in the R2 apartment for two weeks with fantastic views of the ocean, sunrises and sunsets. (This is our fourth stay at Villa Tropical) Wonderful direct acces to the beach with showers available for those of us who scuba/snorkle -to wash off our gear.

Comfortable no-nonsense accomadations for four of us. The apartment has a "homey" feel to it for those who have adolescent boys runing in and out. Small kitchen was well equipped and perfect for our needs. If we did find that we needed something - We would just ask the owners and we would have it no time.

Appreciate the apartment concept - Don't have Villa Tropical staff in and out of the apartment daily making beds, etc. Had total privacy for our stay with the exception of the one cleaning /linen change at the one week mark.

Kudos to the Villa Tropical Staff who worked endlessly on Chrismas Day to see to the needs of their tenants when electricity was on and off as a tropical depression (rare for this time of year) hit the island. They made the experience seem uneventful and were professional through the entire event. They even did it with a smile.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank mislp
Reviewed December 24, 2008

We spent Thanksgiving here and had a great time. Really low key and relaxing while completely sufficient at the same time. Trevor and his wife took care of any need that came up.

The recommendations on their website are right on. Isabella had a lot of great beaches. Hope we can do it again, someday!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed December 21, 2008

The management is clueless and after having the gas grill bottle ignite throwing a 10 ft flame and sending us into a panic & nearly burning the place down, I can conclude fairly unsafe. I understand they have there regular clientele of surfers, ect but I cant understand why anyone would come back with so many options in the area. They pulled a bait and switch when we arrived giving us a different apartment than we had reserved and then tried denying it as though I would not figure out that the name of the house and pictures where not the same from what I had selected from the web page or what was sent to me in the rental agreement (with additional pictures email with the agreement. As a result they avoided us at all times, but in the interest of letting sleeping dogs lie and not let it ruin my winter vaca we dealt with it as we had no other options (they were fully booked and I wasn't going to find somewhere else). Trevor and Mike seem to only take care of their regulars as they dont seem to mind burning (no pun intended) a guest or two based on the reviews. I have rented beach houses the past 2 winters in Puerto Rico and have never had a problem and consider myself a low maintenance guy who could sleep on a fence but these guys run a terrible business and made our stay uncomfortably by sticking my wife son and I to sleep on a full bed giving the apartment we rented with a queen to someone else (a regular is my guess based on what I was able to put together). I wont be surprised if someone gets hurt on one of thier properties and I am sure for every satisfied stay there is one bad one. We made the best of it & love PR but it was just one thing after another and it all lead back to poor management and was all unavoidable if they had taken the care to give us the right accommodations, and not provide junk grills and bottles. I would avoid this place and Villa Tropical would best serve their customers by using a professional rental management company and not a couple of beach bums (rum anyone).

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank PRLOVERBostom
Reviewed October 6, 2008

After completing my recent stay at Villa Tropical on a business trip, I felt compelled to write a recommendation to other business travelers to the west side of Puerto Rico. I travel to Puerto Rico for business several times a year and I have stayed at Villa Tropical several times. It has always been a tremendous experience. My Villas have always been extremely clean, spacious and peaceful. My schedule is usually very full at work and it is always a joy to come back to Villa Tropical. I open the back door, sit on my patio and listen to and watch the ocean lap onto the beach just 50 yards away. This brings a sense of tranquility after an often busy and stressful day at work. The owners, Trevor and Jennifer are very cordial and accommodating. It is not uncommon for one or both to take an early evening walk about to ensure their guests are comfortable and have everything they need. It’s the personal touch from this family owned operation that is very attractive. The owners also set me up with a great catering service called "Banquetes Reinamar "who delivered fabulous breakfast meals directy to my door every morning at 6:45am. It is evident they truly enjoy their guests and treat everyone, including their Staff, with dignity and respect. I highly recommend Villa Tropical to business travelers or vacationers.

Trevor and Jennifer, thank you for another excellent stay at Villa Tropical.

Best Regards,

Brian Connell
VP Global Operations
Symmetricom Inc.

[-----]

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank BLC2
Reviewed July 27, 2008

Villa Tropical is located in the best stretch of beach in Isabela. The apartment is just steps away of one of the best snorkeling spots in Puerto Rico. A short walk away you can enjoy the surf in a sandy beach. I was surprised there are still beaches in Puerto Rico where you can walk for over a mile without finding another person. We stayed for 4 nights. The hosts were very nice and friendly and so were every person we met there. The price looked like a bargain for a beach front location in the island. If your standard is limited to a clean, comfortable bed to sleep at the end of the day the accommodations might work. The beds were clean and surprisingly comfortable when compared to the rest of the furnishings. However, the apartment was well below our standard for accommodations at the price or at any price. We stayed at a two bedroom unit in Villa Rivero. Since villa tropical is a collection of privately owned apartments managed under the same administration I believe the quality has more to do with what the owners are willing to invest than what the management will like. However with the exception of the beds and the dinning set the rest of the appliances and furnishings need to be replaced. The bath room looked that was built in the late seventies (yellow toilet and tiles and a sink installed @ 28" gave it away) and never updated. I had the chance to meet the owner of the property. In the short conversation we had he did not bother to ask if we were comfortable or if we were having a good time. Although he was friendly I felt like we were more of a nuisance to him than welcomed guests. He then continued with some loud renovation work in his private apartment upstairs and in the rental apartment next door. Given the outstanding location and the friendliness of the hosts I would give Villa Tropical a second chance and stay there again. However, I do not recommend the unit we stayed.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
6  Thank josetads
Reviewed July 18, 2008

I stay in a lot of places in the island and my number #1 choice is Villa Tropical, Trevor and Jennifer are excellent hosts and the facilities are superb, family oriented, quiet and the ocean view is awesome. All their personnel are very polite and they solve any situation that may arise in a quick and professional manner.
Guys keep it up! I will keep sending my associates, family members and friends to you guys.

God Bless you and your crew,
Peter J

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isabela
Parador Villas del Mar Hau
Combate Beach Resort
#1 of 8 in Cabo Rojo
Rincon of the Seas Grand Caribbean Hotel
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Been to Villa Tropical Oceanfront Apartments on Shacks Beach? Share your experiences!