“Great Spot, NIce Apartment”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Isabela
Villa Tropical Oceanfront Apartments on Shacks Beach
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Isabela
Colorado
“Great Spot, NIce Apartment”
Reviewed December 24, 2008

We spent Thanksgiving here and had a great time. Really low key and relaxing while completely sufficient at the same time. Trevor and his wife took care of any need that came up.

The recommendations on their website are right on. Isabella had a lot of great beaches. Hope we can do it again, someday!

• Liked — Location, amenities and Ola Lola's
  • Disliked — Not too many restaraunts.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 21, 2008

The management is clueless and after having the gas grill bottle ignite throwing a 10 ft flame and sending us into a panic & nearly burning the place down, I can conclude fairly unsafe. I understand they have there regular clientele of surfers, ect but I cant understand why anyone would come back with so many options in the area. They pulled a bait and switch when we arrived giving us a different apartment than we had reserved and then tried denying it as though I would not figure out that the name of the house and pictures where not the same from what I had selected from the web page or what was sent to me in the rental agreement (with additional pictures email with the agreement. As a result they avoided us at all times, but in the interest of letting sleeping dogs lie and not let it ruin my winter vaca we dealt with it as we had no other options (they were fully booked and I wasn't going to find somewhere else). Trevor and Mike seem to only take care of their regulars as they dont seem to mind burning (no pun intended) a guest or two based on the reviews. I have rented beach houses the past 2 winters in Puerto Rico and have never had a problem and consider myself a low maintenance guy who could sleep on a fence but these guys run a terrible business and made our stay uncomfortably by sticking my wife son and I to sleep on a full bed giving the apartment we rented with a queen to someone else (a regular is my guess based on what I was able to put together). I wont be surprised if someone gets hurt on one of thier properties and I am sure for every satisfied stay there is one bad one. We made the best of it & love PR but it was just one thing after another and it all lead back to poor management and was all unavoidable if they had taken the care to give us the right accommodations, and not provide junk grills and bottles. I would avoid this place and Villa Tropical would best serve their customers by using a professional rental management company and not a couple of beach bums (rum anyone).

• Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
7 Thank PRLOVERBostom
California
Reviewed October 6, 2008

After completing my recent stay at Villa Tropical on a business trip, I felt compelled to write a recommendation to other business travelers to the west side of Puerto Rico. I travel to Puerto Rico for business several times a year and I have stayed at Villa Tropical several times. It has always been a tremendous experience. My Villas have always been extremely clean, spacious and peaceful. My schedule is usually very full at work and it is always a joy to come back to Villa Tropical. I open the back door, sit on my patio and listen to and watch the ocean lap onto the beach just 50 yards away. This brings a sense of tranquility after an often busy and stressful day at work. The owners, Trevor and Jennifer are very cordial and accommodating. It is not uncommon for one or both to take an early evening walk about to ensure their guests are comfortable and have everything they need. It’s the personal touch from this family owned operation that is very attractive. The owners also set me up with a great catering service called "Banquetes Reinamar "who delivered fabulous breakfast meals directy to my door every morning at 6:45am. It is evident they truly enjoy their guests and treat everyone, including their Staff, with dignity and respect. I highly recommend Villa Tropical to business travelers or vacationers.

Trevor and Jennifer, thank you for another excellent stay at Villa Tropical.

Best Regards,

Brian Connell
VP Global Operations
Symmetricom Inc.

[-----]

• Liked — Cleanliness, tranquility and beauty of the Ocean just 50 yards away from my patio, and friendliness of the Owners and Staff
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank BLC2
Colorado
Reviewed July 27, 2008

Villa Tropical is located in the best stretch of beach in Isabela. The apartment is just steps away of one of the best snorkeling spots in Puerto Rico. A short walk away you can enjoy the surf in a sandy beach. I was surprised there are still beaches in Puerto Rico where you can walk for over a mile without finding another person. We stayed for 4 nights. The hosts were very nice and friendly and so were every person we met there. The price looked like a bargain for a beach front location in the island. If your standard is limited to a clean, comfortable bed to sleep at the end of the day the accommodations might work. The beds were clean and surprisingly comfortable when compared to the rest of the furnishings. However, the apartment was well below our standard for accommodations at the price or at any price. We stayed at a two bedroom unit in Villa Rivero. Since villa tropical is a collection of privately owned apartments managed under the same administration I believe the quality has more to do with what the owners are willing to invest than what the management will like. However with the exception of the beds and the dinning set the rest of the appliances and furnishings need to be replaced. The bath room looked that was built in the late seventies (yellow toilet and tiles and a sink installed @ 28" gave it away) and never updated. I had the chance to meet the owner of the property. In the short conversation we had he did not bother to ask if we were comfortable or if we were having a good time. Although he was friendly I felt like we were more of a nuisance to him than welcomed guests. He then continued with some loud renovation work in his private apartment upstairs and in the rental apartment next door. Given the outstanding location and the friendliness of the hosts I would give Villa Tropical a second chance and stay there again. However, I do not recommend the unit we stayed.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Apartment condition appliances and bathroom
6 Thank josetads
Ponce
Reviewed July 18, 2008

I stay in a lot of places in the island and my number #1 choice is Villa Tropical, Trevor and Jennifer are excellent hosts and the facilities are superb, family oriented, quiet and the ocean view is awesome. All their personnel are very polite and they solve any situation that may arise in a quick and professional manner.
Guys keep it up! I will keep sending my associates, family members and friends to you guys.

God Bless you and your crew,
Peter J

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — the time to leave
San Juan, PR
Reviewed July 5, 2008

What started out as a great idea ended in a fiasco. My friend invited our family of three over for the afternoon to have a bar-b-cue. We were also considering staying one night, though the rental "agent" for the clustered, privately-owned rental units informed us they only offered only two nights. Fine, since my wife had work later the following day, so we opted to merely visit with our friend. As we were we being accompanied by an agent to our friend's "suite" the agent made a bazaar comment to me. She said, "are your still here?" At first I could not comprehend her meaning. Apparently, you cannot have guests at this "fine" establishment-gussied up beach shacks-without management permission first-kind of like asking the teacher permission to use the bathroom. Anyway, she did not politely remind my friend of this policy, or he was unaware of it. After her caustic comment registered in my road-weary brain, I realized I was livid. I did not call her any names, but I did tell her I had no intention of staying that afternoon, night, or forever. Also, I informed her that she was unprofessional, and perhaps a racist, since she is white and my friend is not; I cannot see her making the same comment to the guest of a middle class -white
"American" family. I felt bad for my friend who has stayed here for years, spending thousand of dollars to be humiliated. The irony is that he is a person of color being insulted by a white, non-Puerto Rican on an island supposedly controlled by brown-skinned people. How ugly. What really upset me was the fact that my twelve-year-old daughter was present. I did give the agent an earful, but she probably deserves more, like being made to change her job description. I later found out that the same person was having "issues" with other guests. In a real hotel, she would be fired immediately for such nasty comments. Her intent was, contrary to her flustered after-explanation, really lame. She said it was a "misunderstanding." Alas, I completely understood her intent. We already found another place up the shore for later this summer, and we would never return to this place. Although the beach is really nice, it is riddled with sea urchins, and nasty coral. The blinds did not work properly and I was told the air conditioning unit kept going on and off all night.

If I was on the mainland, I would certainly consider a lawsuit for such strange, insulting behavior. Stay away until they change the management. There are plenty of other places to stay in this neck of the woods. One final comment: The owner of a couple of units graciously offered to help us and tried to placate us with kind words. But, it was really too late. An awful experience.

3 Thank tropicalgardener
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isabela
Royal Isabela
Combate Beach Resort
Combate Beach Resort
#1 of 9 in Cabo Rojo
Rincon of the Seas Grand Caribbean Hotel

Been to Villa Tropical Oceanfront Apartments on Shacks Beach? Share your experiences!