Villa Tropical Oceanfront Apartments on Shacks Beach
  • Beachfront
Royal Isabela(Isabela)
  • Pool
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsshacks beachblue holethese apartmentsfully equipped kitchensatellite tvkite surfingwe've stayedspent nightssound of the wavesvttrevordeckunittropicalaccommodationsoceanparadise
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We just returned from a week in Puerto Rico and spent four wonderful days at Villa Tropical. We originally planned only two days at VT, but the beach and location was so great we stayed two more days. We stayed in two different oceanfront units and both were wonderful. Trevor was a great host and the Villa are perfectly situated about 15 feet from Shacks Beach. Everything we needed (grocery store, several restaurants, casual bar, paddleboard & surf shop, scuba diving) was within a 10 minute drive with beach chairs, boogie boards available from the villa office. Eclipse (a very nice restaurant) is a 5 minute walk down the beach. Snorkeling was great right off the beach & no on-site bar to disturb sleeping. Will definitely return to Villa Tropical next time!

Room Tip: Definitely choose one of the oceanfront units in "Q" or "M"
2  Thank ToccoaRiverTrails
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My husband and I just spent a ten day vacation in Puerto Rico and stayed at Villa Tropical. It far exceeded our expectation. The owners, Trevor and Jennifer, along with their staff were friendly, helpful and treated us like family. The unit we stayed in was TR (Top Right). It was a 2 BR/1 BA with kitchen and living area that opened onto a large deck directly overlooking Shacks Beach. The deck was equipped with patio chairs, lounge chairs, picnic table with umbrella and a gas grill. We started every day by eating breakfast on the deck overlooking the water and ended each day on the deck looking at the stars and listening to the waves.

The location of Villa Tropical is isolated enough that the beaches directly in front and around the units are quiet and private, but close enough to area attractions that we were able to make several day trips to visit water falls, caves and much more. The snorkeling at Shacks Beach was definitely a highlight of the trip with the with the beautifully colored coral and fish just steps from the unit we were staying in.

All in all this was a great vacation. We will definitely keep Villa Tropical on our list of places to visit again and will recommend it to all of our friends and family.

2  Thank MrsSparrk
Reviewed May 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed in Villa Bajandas for five unforgettable days in late April. Here's the deal with Villa Tropical: it is a collection of different apartments/houses, each with their own charm and quirks. We stayed in one of the most bare bones, sparsely decorated, and inexpensive units available. Because this is what we wanted, we had a phenomenal time, and may even come back despite our insatiable wanderlust. Trevor and his staff made us feel at home, and I have only one word for the location: paradise. Shacks beach was typically empty except for a few locals or other folks staying in the units. If you want more privacy, just walk a few hundred feet in either direction: you will find it. The ocean here is wild, so listen to the advice the staff gives: don't swim if you can't handle the current.

Villa Tropical is one of the best deals I have ever seen, a picturesque location isolated from the rush of the city and insulated against the throngs of tourists that you find at resorts. Just know what you are getting yourself into when you stay there. Don't assume you know anything. Ask lots of questions, and most of all, listen to the locals.

Room Tip: Get an oceanfront apartment, and make friends with Trevor, the owner.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Alexander B
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I have mixed feelings about this place. I liked a lot of things about this property and some I really didn't like. However, I would say the good outweigh the bad. The good: SOME of the homes and properties for rent are nice and modern and well priced. The beach is pristine and BEAUTIFUL and isolated, so you can acutally see a lot of wild life and find large shells. The people who work here are friendly. You can rent snorkeling gear for only $10 for you whole stay. The landscaping is pretty. Prices are reasonable. There are lots of restuarants within a short drive. The bad: The owner actually expects you to clean the apartment. When we were shown our room, the man literally pointed to a broom and mop and said "there they are" insinuating we should use those to clean the apartment. The apartment itself was cleanish, however there is peeling paint, rust on all appliances, and spatters on walls, including the living room. There were dishes left for you to use which are scary looking and had mouse terds in some of them. You have to wash them to use them. There were other peoples hair on the walls of the shower. The shower and the apartment only had hotwater, no cold, and the ac didn't work. It was cool enought that we didn't need it thought except for one of the days we were there I really wished it worked. Now, the apartment we were in was very old, in fact we were told the oldest in the resort. The other apartments are much nicer and more modern, and hopefully better taken care of. So I would recommend steering away from the rivera house, especially r1. The hotel is really far from san juan, about 2.5 hours drive.

Room Tip: steer clear of R1
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank grnfern
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I emailed a reservation for July 2013 - and did not receive a call as the automatic reply said I would. I called the hotel's main line the next day, and no one picked up. After SEVERAL unsuccessful attempts to reach someone I dialed the emergency contact number which was picked up by "Trevor". When I explained my situation - his immediate response: "And this is an emergency?" Very arrogant, rude and unprofessional. When I told him I did not get his name; his response: "I didn't give it to you......it's Trevor.". CLEARLY I will not be staying at this hotel and will warn my friends to stay away - if they feel comfortable treating potential new clients this way - they do not deserve my business or my money.

15  Thank MNieves123